Someone please help me i think im dead

Carlos Nolasco
Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Sparks from a fan touching a pcb? Unlikely

Entirely possible, like e.g. if the screw was still attached to the fan and the screw shorted the PCB when the fan fell.

I was taking out a noctua fan out my pc while it was turned on and it fell on top of the my 1080 ti and i saw sparks and the pc shut off and now it doesnt boot is it dead

Sparks from a fan touching a pcb? Unlikely. Also backplates are a thing. 
Lesson learned I hope. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Rule 1 never let the blue smoke out

Rule 2 if you can type you’re still alive.  Dead people can’t type.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Sparks from a fan touching a pcb? Unlikely

Entirely possible, like e.g. if the screw was still attached to the fan and the screw shorted the PCB when the fan fell.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Rule 1 never let the blue smoke out

Rule 2 if you can type you’re still alive.  Dead people can’t type.

Okay so if you ever seen or bought a noctua fucking fan you would have seen that they have medal clips to attach their shit fans onto the goddam heat sinks 

2 minutes ago, Carlos Nolasco said:

Okay so if you ever seen or bought a noctua fucking fan you would have seen that they have medal clips to attach their shit fans onto the goddam heat sinks 

I don’t think god consigns heat sinks to hell on the grounds that they don’t have souls.  I think you quoted the wrong post.  It was @WereCatf and @Mick Naughty discussing metal bits.  I was merely amused by the post title.  Sparks are bad.  Always.  Sometimes not fatal, but not good.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Sometimes not fatal, but not good

Considering OP's PC doesn't boot anymore, it definitely was fatal. To which parts, though, begs the question. Most likely the GPU is död, goner, deader than a dead dingo's dongo, but might've also taken the mobo with it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

9 minutes ago, Carlos Nolasco said:

You must have never bought or seen a noctua fan. They don’t come with metal bits for attaching to heat sinks. That’s the cpu cooler you are thinking of and you failed to mention. I have bought 15 noctua fans and they don’t come with that. Specificity is key here. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

16 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That’s a screw, not a fan. Not possible. 

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

That’s a screw, not a fan. Not possible. 

It's not possible to attach fans with screws?

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It's not possible to attach fans with screws?

You can but that isn’t the fan causing it. Like I already said. 

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

You can but that isn’t the fan causing it. Like I already said. 

So, you just wanted to nitpick in an effort to look smart? Fine, OP didn't actually say the fan caused the sparks, only that the fan fell on the GPU and then there were sparks, so what I said would be entirely possible, ie. something metallic was either attached to the fan or fell along with the fan, and thus your nitpicking is wrong. Happy now?

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

So, you just wanted to nitpick in an effort to look smart? Fine, OP didn't actually say the fan caused the sparks, only that the fan fell on the GPU and then there were sparks, so what I said would be entirely possible, ie. something metallic was either attached to the fan or fell along with the fan, and thus your nitpicking is wrong. Happy now?

Yea. Lack of details. I went off the information I had. Thus made a conclusion. Isn’t wrong, safe assumption.