Raid card makes pc take forever to boot

Hello

I recently ran out of SATA Data ports on my Motherboard. Therefor I got an old raid card installed in a free PCIe x16 slot. However with the card in, it takes about 10 minutes for windows to start.

Start sequence:

- Raid card starts

- Scanning for device at port 0 (about 1-5 min)

- Scanning for device at port 1 (about 1-5 min)

- Scanning for device at port 2 (about 1-5 min)

- Scanning for device at port 3 (about 1-5 min)

- Motherboard boot screen (Option to go into bios here)

- Windows 10 startup

I would like to to not take 10 minutes to boot into windows.

The raid card is in the 2nd x16 slot (First one reserved for my GPU:D)

Raid card controller: Adaptec SATA Serial ATA II Raid 1430SA (Running V6.0.0)

CPU: I7-6700K

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 (Bios v. 1.H0)

GPU: GTX 960

Power: 550W Generic PSU

That's what old RAID cards do :P  that thing is probably from like 2006. Might as well just buy a "dumb" SATA controller

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

13 minutes ago, Held_Games said:

Hello

I recently ran out of SATA Data ports on my Motherboard. Therefor I got an old raid card installed in a free PCIe x16 slot. However with the card in, it takes about 10 minutes for windows to start.

Start sequence:

- Raid card starts

- Scanning for device at port 0 (about 1-5 min)

- Scanning for device at port 1 (about 1-5 min)

- Scanning for device at port 2 (about 1-5 min)

- Scanning for device at port 3 (about 1-5 min)

- Motherboard boot screen (Option to go into bios here)

- Windows 10 startup

I would like to to not take 10 minutes to boot into windows.

The raid card is in the 2nd x16 slot (First one reserved for my GPU:D)

Raid card controller: Adaptec SATA Serial ATA II Raid 1430SA (Running V6.0.0)

CPU: I7-6700K

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 (Bios v. 1.H0)

GPU: GTX 960

Power: 550W Generic PSU

Pretty much doing as it's supposed to do. Checking if all ports work and if the raid array is functional. Those cards are supposed to be used in 24/7 machines not computers that you shut off daily.

So there is no way to change it?

Is there then anyway to have it "Start up" after the pc?

((Is there any way I can get this to work with my main desktop(Without just leaving it on)))?

How did you configure the card? How do you intend to use the card? Seems like it might have an array set up from the previous owner and waiting until all registered drives are ready, which never happens because the attached drives don't match?

And yes, unless you're going to actually set up a RAID and have that running constantly that's not the card you want, just a simple non-RAID SATA controller would be.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 minutes ago, Held_Games said:

So there is no way to change it?

Is there then anyway to have it "Start up" after the pc?

((Is there any way I can get this to work with my main desktop(Without just leaving it on)))?

The RAID card is configured to load with the BIOS, so it's part of the POST process now. This is also how servers used to do it. POST wouldn't complete until all so-called Option ROMs were checked.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

How did you configure the card? How do you intend to use the card? Seems like it might have an array set up from the previous owner and waiting until all registered drives are ready, which never happens because the attached drives don't match?

And yes, unless you're going to actually set up a RAID and have that running constantly that's not the card you want, just a simple non-RAID SATA controller would be.

I configured the card with one hdd (2 TB) and made it an array with one drive in it.

Intends/intended to use the card as more Sata data, as I ran out of those on mymotherboard.

I was in the options/bios of the raid card, there I deleted all arrays and only made one.

Thx for the answers