M.2 Not showing Up in My B450 Auros Pro

So my specs are as follows

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600x

GPU:RTX 2070

SSD:Kingston A400 240gb (connected to asata; wouldnt show up otherwise when the m.2 is connected)- This is my primary boot drive

HDD: Toshiba 1gb (also connected to asata)

I put in a m.2 (Mx500 500gb) as my primary boot drive was running out of space and i wanted to migrate it, it is connected to pciex1_2 and will not show up on the bios or windows (I do eventually want to migrate my ssd onto the m.2)

I had updated my bios to the latest version to which ive read can cause some issues, though i'm not sure. Thank you.

n/m

EDIT:

Have you got any of the S-ATA ports populated?  If so, which ones?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

7 minutes ago, Youngsinarta said:

I put in a m.2 (Mx500 500gb) as my primary boot drive was running out of space and i wanted to migrate it, it is connected to pciex1_2 and will not show up on the bios

PCIEx1_2?

It should be connected to M2A or M2B. It won't work on M2B though, so you need to have it connected to M2A.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

PCIEx1_2?

It should be connected to M2A or M2B. It won't work on M2B though, so you need to have it connected to M2A.

He's talking the m.2 port above PCIeX1_2

12 minutes ago, Youngsinarta said:

I put in a m.2 (Mx500 500gb) as my primary boot drive was running out of space and i wanted to migrate it, it is connected to pciex1_2 and will not show up on the bios or windows (I do eventually want to migrate my ssd onto the m.2)

I had updated my bios to the latest version to which ive read can cause some issues, though i'm not sure. Thank you.

The M.2 port that's above PCIeX1_2 is NVMe only. You have to put the MX500 on the upper m.2 slot as that is both NVMe/SATA, if this is the right motherboard

m2Slot.jpg

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

11 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

The M.2 port that's above PCIeX1_2 is NVMe only. You have to put the MX500 on the upper m.2 slot as that is both NVMe/SATA, if this is the right motherboard

m2Slot.jpg

The top m.2 slot shares 'resources' with the pair of S-ATA slots up in the top right of your image, notably the first one.

If that's populated, you can't use that S-ATA slot, @Youngsinarta.

BTW - both m.2's are NVMe.

image.png.ff376675de56d57930fb9e17222db6e4.png

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

4 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

BTW - both m.2's are NVMe.

And only the top m.2 connector is SATA M.2 compatible, which was my point. He's using the MX500, a SATA m.2 drive.

@Youngsinarta You also need to change which SATA port your SSD is using.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

3 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

And only the top m.2 connector is SATA M.2 compatible, which was my point. He's using the MX500, a SATA m.2 drive.

Ahh...

WHY NOT...?!

1 hour ago, Eighjan said:

n/m

EDIT:

Have you got any of the S-ATA ports populated?  If so, which ones?

It was originally for my HDD and SSD but i put them on ASata as it isnt detected when the M.2 is connected. Originally it was on Sata 0 and 2 but now its on ASata, I will try doing what the other person has recommended and put the M.2 on the top slot and then change the SSD and the HDD back to sata so it doesnt share bandwith

1 hour ago, MrBrightSyde said:

m2Slot.jpg

Oh right I see, the problem is basically that the actual M.2 drive isnt long enough for it to go on the type 22110 ( as in i cant really screw it down) , and that my graphics card basically blocks it out of view anyways. I figured it may be the case but i dont want the actual drive itself to be hanging out at the 30 degree incline, unless its safe to do so and that there isnt any risk

1 hour ago, Youngsinarta said:

Oh right I see, the problem is basically that the actual M.2 drive isnt long enough for it to go on the type 22110 ( as in i cant really screw it down) , and that my graphics card basically blocks it out of view anyways. I figured it may be the case but i dont want the actual drive itself to be hanging out at the 30 degree incline, unless its safe to do so and that there isnt any risk

This will make the top m.2 heatsink useless but you can take the heatsink off, see that there are other holes to mount a standoff, unscrew and move the standoff to the one labelled 80 and you are able to screw in Type 2280 M.2 drives.

Edit: Picture for clarity

Gigabyte-B450-Aorus-Pro-KitGuru-Review-18_LI.jpg

MAIN PC:

SECONDARY PC:

It was originally for my HDD and SSD but i put them on ASata as it isnt detected when the M.2 is connected. Originally it was on Sata 0 and 2 but now its on ASata, I will try doing what the other person has recommended and put the M.2 on the top slot and then change the SSD and the HDD back to sata so it doesnt share bandwith

The top m.2 slot and the first A S-ATA port use the same resources & can't be used at the same time.

The bottom m.2 slot is for NVMe drives ONLY - yours is S-ATA m.2.

WHY NOT...?!

The m.2 heatsink will hold the drive down... see page 18 in the manual for the procedure.

WHY NOT...?!