i really want to try linux! but errr... which one?

hey all! i've been pretty curious about linux recently, specially after watching andy talking about how well you can game on linux, so i started a little research and dang nabbit there's too many distros to choose about O.O

my question is:

i like to game and sometimes i do some editing, i have a ryzen 7 3700x, 32gb ram ddr4 3466MHz cl16 rams overclocked to 3600MHz, a 2060 super on a rog strix x570-f motherboard... what's the best distro a linux n00b without any programming skill can try to understand the system and enjoy the permanence on the OS? i'm quite confused about all the distros ^^" 

Metalhead with a huge itch for PC gaming, video editing and audio recording, currently playing in a band and pwning n00bs in the summoners rift ;)

The most noob friendly distro is probably Ubuntu. That's also the one directly supported by Steam.

The biggest difference between most distros is the default desktop environment (DE) they come with, how their own toolset works and how much handholding they do when it comes to configuration. Under the hood they all run on Linux (the kernel) and the applications that are available are mostly the same. Differences could be e.g. where configuration files are located.

But please don't go into this expecting some miracle performance improvements. And be prepared for some games simply not working even with Wine or Proton.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Ubuntu but download GNOME Tweaks for ultimate customization

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

I would say Ubuntu if you are trying it out for first time as it the easiest to understand and work with(debatable, this is just in MY opinion). If you then go on and become an advanced user, then you have many options. Some of them(not in any order) are- Kali Linux, MintOS, Debian etc.

well i've used linux mint 17 some time ago on a netPC and it felt somehow a windows like experience, with the huge difference that a windows 10 home would have never ran that "fast" on such a low end PC, i guess i'll try PopOS! and ubuntu then :D time to make a linux live USB with lili :D or is there any better software to make a linux live usb?

Metalhead with a huge itch for PC gaming, video editing and audio recording, currently playing in a band and pwning n00bs in the summoners rift ;)

Manjaro KDE for sure. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

7 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

The most noob friendly distro is probably Ubuntu. That's also the one directly supported by Steam.

The biggest difference between most distros is the default desktop environment (DE) they come with, how their own toolset works and how much handholding they do when it comes to configuration. Under the hood they all run on Linux (the kernel) and the applications that are available are mostly the same. Differences could be e.g. where configuration files are located.

But please don't go into this expecting some miracle performance improvements. And be prepared for some games simply not working even with Wine or Proton.

@y0ur5h4d0w You can change the desktop environment without changing distros, so if there is something about the distro you tried you don't like, desktop hoping may be easier than full distro hopping.  Linux is very customizable and is one of the most fun aspects of using it.

On 7/8/2020 at 3:20 PM, y0ur5h4d0w said:

time to make a linux live USB with lili :D or is there any better software to make a linux live usb?

I always used Rufus but as long as it works it's good. Worst case scenario you just write it again with another app.

On 7/8/2020 at 2:20 PM, y0ur5h4d0w said:

well i've used linux mint 17 some time ago on a netPC and it felt somehow a windows like experience, with the huge difference that a windows 10 home would have never ran that "fast" on such a low end PC, i guess i'll try PopOS! and ubuntu then :D time to make a linux live USB with lili :D or is there any better software to make a linux live usb?

Download the ISO from ubuntu.com and use a Windows program like Etcher.

Etcher in particular is great because it's so simple to use; just choose the downloaded file, click a button, and wait a few minutes. It's also free (yay!).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Go with Ubuntu 20.04 or Linux Mint 20 (I hear some Microsoft users find Mint easier to adjust too) and just try with a USB flash drive or a burn a image to disk without installing first or you could always install Virtual Box on your windows and test drive a disto.

A further option is to run a duel boot system, just follow the on screen instructions, it's very easy.

ubuntu install.png

Install Mint.jpg

Check out PCLinuxOS.  I was impresses with its user-friendliness and ability to recognize and install drivers for nVidia with not hassle other than going to Synaptic and blackballing nouveau.  It recognized my PCI Express to USB 3.0 Dual 2 Ports PCI-E Card Adapter, which Debian did not and it  was upand running in no time because the driver for the NEC UPD 720202 Chip was installed from the repo.  Try that with most other distros! 

I am using the PCLOS64-Openbox-2020.04 Community Release and could not have been more surprised at its sophistication and ease of use, even after more than ten years of GNU/Linux exclusive usage of many distros, including with Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope, Mint, Debian distros galore, Manjaro, Scientific, and Slackware.  The Trinity DE is like KDE but leaner and quicker.  Most here would like it, I believe. 

On 7/8/2020 at 1:31 PM, y0ur5h4d0w said:

hey all! i've been pretty curious about linux recently, specially after watching andy talking about how well you can game on linux, so i started a little research and dang nabbit there's too many distros to choose about O.O

my question is:

i like to game and sometimes i do some editing, i have a ryzen 7 3700x, 32gb ram ddr4 3466MHz cl16 rams overclocked to 3600MHz, a 2060 super on a rog strix x570-f motherboard... what's the best distro a linux n00b without any programming skill can try to understand the system and enjoy the permanence on the OS? i'm quite confused about all the distros ^^" 

Ubuntu is the way to go. It runs on any system, even my 8yr old laptop! Manjaro is another solution although i have only used it on the pi 4

Screenshot from 2020-07-16 16-15-30.png