i5 9300h or i7 9750h

I'm looking into buying a new laptop for my gaming and video editing needs. I was looking at 2 different variants of the acer nitro 7 one with the i5 and the other with the i7. I looked into the bottlenecks and found that there are no cpu bottlenecks on either of them. The i7 however has a gpu bottleneck (ik this is a desirable bottleneck). I know that the extra processing power can allow me to multitask better but I only need applications like chrome and discord running in the background while I game or edit. So, do I go with the i7 or the i5? Also, can the i5 handle discord and chrome in the background while I game or edit?

Also, is it worth to wait on the 10th gen processors with rtx2060 models of the same laptop coming out in October bcz theres only a small difference between a gtx1660ti(mobile) and a rtx 2060(mobile) and theres only a 20-30%(not sure of this figure) improvement in the cpus between 9th and 10th gens. Idk if i should buy the newest one or the 2019(1660ti with 9th gen) one cuz I believe that the new gen will push down the prices of the 2019 one and I was wondering if that little extra money for the 2060 and 10th gen was worth it or not...

P.S- I know desktops are better but i need to carry my computer to school and other places(my family travels a lot). I need that power to be portable.

check the laptops with 4th gen ryzen. much better than intel has to offer. better performance and less power usage

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

I looked at the asus tuf fa506iv with the ryzen 7 4800h but its panel has serious ghosting issues.

Recommendations? Around the same price as the nitro 7 preferrably..

16 minutes ago, Kxtzyy said:

I looked at the asus tuf fa506iv with the ryzen 7 4800h but its panel has serious ghosting issues.

Recommendations? Around the same price as the nitro 7 preferrably..

A lot of my friends have been really happy with Dell G3's. They're pretty decent on value

:]

yeah i checked them out but i was looking for slightly more graphics power... The g3s all have 1650 4 gigs i was looking for a 2060 type performance with the 6 gig as that could future proof me for slightly longer as im about to finish high school (in a year) and wanted something that could future proof me for uni(hopefully)...

1660ti are 6 gigs and are pretty close in terms of performance to the 2060...

Idk if theres a 1660 ti variant of the g3s. Just link it if theres one...

nvm i found some but the acer nitro costs less for a 1660 ti...

what i wanted to know was if i should choose the i7 with a gpu bottleneck to use chrome and discord while gaming or just buy an i5 with no bottleneck... and if the i5 will run chrome and discord in the background with the game...

12 minutes ago, Kxtzyy said:

nvm i found some but the acer nitro costs less for a 1660 ti...

what i wanted to know was if i should choose the i7 with a gpu bottleneck to use chrome and discord while gaming or just buy an i5 with no bottleneck... and if the i5 will run chrome and discord in the background with the game...

Bottleneck is such a stupid word, don't use it please. It's not like if you have a bottleneck anything is going to happen.

Just look at the cpu and gpu they have. You haven't said what gpus either of the laptops have?

If they have the same gpu, obviously go for the i7 model.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Bottleneck is such a stupid word, don't use it please. It's not like if you have a bottleneck anything is going to happen.

Just look at the cpu and gpu they have. You haven't said what gpus either of the laptops have?

If they have the same gpu, obviously go for the i7 model.

Look at the first post ive said everything there...

And as for the bottleneck I meant that the i7 provides more performance and can run chrome or discord in the background comfortably whereas the im not sure if i can run any background applications with the i5.

And yes they have the same gpus. But the prices differ so i wanted to know if the extra money was worth it... or if i could get by with an i7

3 minutes ago, Kxtzyy said:

Can't read anything from that, i will make an educated guess that they are both 1660ti?

Anyways, in real life, (gaming, and most use programs), there exists only one bottleneck, which is the cpu bottleneck, when the cpu is too slow for the gpu, so gpu can't run at 100% speed. There are very few instances, where gpu bottleneck actually exists, so i wouldn't worry about that at all. 

In most cases, faster cpu is just plainly better, no need to go for the slower cpu just to make the "gpu bottleneck" disappear.

6 minutes ago, Kxtzyy said:

And as for the bottleneck I meant that the i7 provides more performance and can run chrome or discord in the background comfortably whereas the im not sure if i can run any background applications with the i5.

And yes they have the same gpus. But the prices differ so i wanted to know if the extra money was worth it... or if i could get by with an i7

With the i5 you should be able to run chrome and discord in the background, yes.

The i7 would render videos faster, but in normal day to day usage you shouldn't see a difference imo.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

With the i5 you should be able to run chrome and discord in the background, yes.

The i7 would render videos faster, but in normal day to day usage you shouldn't see a difference imo

Thx a lot...

is it worth it to buy the i7 if the price difference is 100-200$ between the i5 and i7 models...

21 minutes ago, Kxtzyy said:

Thx a lot...

is it worth it to buy the i7 if the price difference is 100-200$ between the i5 and i7 models...

Depends on if you want the faster renderspeed i guess. Getting a 6core cpu for only a 100 more is a decent deal imo, but the battery life will probably be worse, so it is a trade off.

I would get the 6 core model, but because i work more than i game.

1 hour ago, Kxtzyy said:

Which country are you from? Budget?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I live in India, my budget is probs around 1200-1300$ 

8 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Depends on if you want the faster renderspeed i guess. Getting a 6core cpu for only a 100 more is a decent deal imo, but the battery life will probably be worse, so it is a trade off.

I would get the 6 core model, but because i work more than i game.

Same here, so im probs going for the i7...

I use ae,pr pro and resolve for editing all of them run like shit on my i3 4th gen with a GT710 and 8gigs of ram(desktop)...

So i wanted an upgrade and im looking forward to black friday now...

Thx a lot for helping me out...

9 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Which country are you from? Budget?

8 minutes ago, Kxtzyy said:

Budget in local currency? (if you're buying in India)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

The i5 works perfectly fine.  I am running it, and I was apprehensive at first as I wanted an i7 because it what was in my former laptop.  Well the i5 9300h beats my old i7 4th gen.  It will be fine for most applications and there is plenty of CPU left over when running a game, except for CPU intensive games, but the i7 would also have that issue.  

A Ryzen would really be best, but no current Ryzen laptops are worth two pennies, they either remove dual channel ram or thermal throttle.  Those reasons alone I am reluctantly avoiding mobile Ryzen. 

20 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Budget in local currency? (if you're buying in India)

80k-95k in inr...

3 hours ago, daveholland86 said:

The i5 works perfectly fine.  I am running it, and I was apprehensive at first as I wanted an i7 because it what was in my former laptop.  Well the i5 9300h beats my old i7 4th gen.  It will be fine for most applications and there is plenty of CPU left over when running a game, except for CPU intensive games, but the i7 would also have that issue.  

A Ryzen would really be best, but no current Ryzen laptops are worth two pennies, they either remove dual channel ram or thermal throttle.  Those reasons alone I am reluctantly avoiding mobile Ryzen. 

Yeah...

also are you able to run ae or premiere in the background with a game running? not an intensive game just some casual rocket league or fortnite??

to see if i can play something while my projects render...

2 hours ago, Kxtzyy said:

80k-95k in inr...

Not much decent options to choose from. I guess have to sacrifice slightly on thermals

Consider the Nitro 7 with 9750H+1660Ti. Use max fan speed for acceptable thermals.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Not much decent options to choose from. I guess have to sacrifice slightly on thermals

Consider the Nitro 7 with 9750H+1660Ti. Use max fan speed for acceptable thermals.

Buying the Ryzen based nitro is better as it runs cooler, quieter and it's overall faster.

7 hours ago, Kxtzyy said:

Yeah...

also are you able to run ae or premiere in the background with a game running? not an intensive game just some casual rocket league or fortnite??

to see if i can play something while my projects render...

The AMD Renoir based Nitro 5 or Legion 5 are your best options (and only options). Running two thing at the same time won't happen with intel, not enough performance for that. Even the i7s are slower than the Ryzen 5 4600H

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Buying the Ryzen based nitro is better

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

The AMD Renoir based Nitro 5 or Legion 5

Can't find it.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Doing a render is a huge task to do in the background.  That normally pegs the CPU on its own.  What you can do is limit the threads allowed to the render if you are going to play a game. 

16 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Can't find it.

It's rolling out as we speak, should be available globally within a week or two