Reducing Positive Pressure

GingerBill

Hey guys,

Hoping you guys can shed some light on this. So for the past two years i've had two intake fans at the front of my case, 1 exhaust at the rear and 1 exhaust at the bottom. I recently swtiched the positioning so that I have 3 intakes in the front and 1 exhaust out of the back. Just wondering if increasing the RPM or voltage of the 1 exhaust would reduce the postive pressure in the case. And even still, does positive pressure make a noticable difference to both cpu and ambient temperature? Let me know what you guys think and thanks for the replies

3 minutes ago, GingerBill said:

Hey guys,

Hoping you guys can shed some light on this. So for the past two years i've had two intake fans at the front of my case, 1 exhaust at the rear and 1 exhaust at the bottom. I recently swtiched the positioning so that I have 3 intakes in the front and 1 exhaust out of the back. Just wondering if increasing the RPM or voltage of the 1 exhaust would reduce the postive pressure in the case. And even still, does positive pressure make a noticable difference to both cpu and ambient temperature? Let me know what you guys think and thanks for the replies

Flow makes the difference for ambient inside the case, wheter its positive or negative only matters as for dust, depending on input filters.

Do keep in mind that without enough positive flow from the front then gpu's tend to suck in air from the back of the case (from the unused pci openings which these days are almost always with openkngs like a grill). Not a big issue per se but can introduce a bit more dust (depends on the environment if it matters).

Why not 1 intake at the bottom (only if theres no psu shroud obstructing flow, and theres a bottom filter); then gpu gets cool air directy pushed into its intake fans, that could help (can just experiment, just lkke you already did :) )

This is all assumimg all air cooler components of course :)

10 minutes ago, GingerBill said:

Hey guys,

Pressure is mostly about dust

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, GingerBill said:

And even still, does positive pressure make a noticable difference to both cpu and ambient temperature?

yeah supposedly "pressure" in computer terms only has to do with dust

So if you clean your house and know how to dust your computer then it's not something that really needs any addressing 

Thank you guys, I may have to try and have an intake at the bottom, but I was thinking that it may be ineffective as the bottom of my case is so close to my desk. But i'll give it a go and find out, thanks guys!

Dust can translate into temperature if you don’t keep the inside clean.  If you do though it doesn’t.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, emosun said:

yeah supposedly "pressure" in computer terms only has to do with dust

So if you clean your house and know how to dust your computer then it's not something that really needs any addressing 

Unless if you love in a part of the wordt where (desert or bushveld) dust is a real issue with everything, even if you clean your house, and in these areas, it makes the difference between needing to clean the machine every week or every 6 months.

theres more places in a pc where pressure has a meaning, lkke when dealkng with radiators. "Supposedly"

5 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

Unless if you love in a part of the wordt where (desert or bushveld) dust is a real issue with everything, even if you clean your house, and in these areas, it makes the difference between needing to clean the machine every week or every 6 months.

yeah so that would fall under keeping the house clean

6 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

theres more places in a pc where pressure has a meaning, lkke when dealkng with radiators. "Supposedly"

that has to do with fan design and how much pressure the fan can create with how close the blades are to the shroud and yada yada yada. basically can use cheap fans and run the faster to overcome that issue as well with only noise being the factor but thats not the op's question anyway.

15 hours ago, GingerBill said:

Just wondering if increasing the RPM or voltage of the 1 exhaust would reduce the postive pressure in the case.

Yes it will reduce the positive pressure a little bit, but adding a second fan at the top is always better.

15 hours ago, GingerBill said:

And even still, does positive pressure make a noticable difference to both cpu and ambient temperature? Let me know what you guys think and thanks for the replies

I don't think that it will change idle temps but when your system is under load and have hot air inside, getting rid of that hot air as quickly as possible(increasing RPM/Second fan) will likely reduce your CPU temps. I have no idea on ambient temps.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256

18 hours ago, emosun said:

yeah so that would fall under keeping the house clean

Really, so everytime your house is vacuumed (usually daily), youd take electronics apart to clean their insides?

(Having a 2nd home in national game park in africa where brooming /vacuuming twice a day is neccesary to prevent red sand buildup anywhere sheds a different light on things :), its doable to keep floors etc clean, but the air is a continous stream affecting electronics and air is a little harder to clean or avoid as ventilation is needed for fresh air ).

But dont get me wrong though, i absolutely agree with you that probably for 90% of the population/systems its a 0 factor and a quick clean of the pc that can be done in like 20 minuts tops (but becomes a bitch to do every few days). Its a factor to mention, but if its important or relevant or not is for the reader to decide for them selves (theres no need for us to sway them one way or the other).

18 hours ago, emosun said:

not the op's question anyway.

It was also not op's question to get:

A) false claim that this only thing in a pc where air pressure plays a role

B) creation of doubt about if dust could be relevant to him or not ("supposedly", just because a issue isnt relevant in your scenario doesnt mean it doesnt exist or could apply to others). Note: english not my 1st lang, so might just imtrepet the supposedly wrong in which case i apologise for doing so :)

C) The insinuation that if he (or anyone else) did have environmental factors playing a role in quick dust buildup, its just because they dont clean their house. Solution in dust areas for floor is vacuum or broom, solution for pc is called filters, which are cleaned in 20 seconds instead of 20 minutes.

And again, i get, and agree your overal point, dust buildup is usually (like a lot of things) blown way out of proportion - yet in a few imstances it does apply.