Upgrading from FX to 2015 Haswell

Im looking to swap my FX-8350 for a way better performing i5-4690k. I'm not really too bothered about having the latest hardware and such. I recently bought a GTX 980 Ti and honestly with my FX processor it performs nothing like benchmarks state. I get stutters and fps drops in plenty of modern titles. My FX also blue screens pretty often, sometimes 1, or 2 times a month (Even on brand new W10 install), but I've had it before where it kept restarting and blue screening when it booted up - 8 times in a row...

To buy this older gen hardware, wheres the best place to look? I know I can buy used but i want to check before i dive straight into a used mobo/cpu bundle.

Thanks.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

3 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

What country? Look on lots of local listings website likes Facebook Marketplace etc. You may even be able to find an old office prebuilt with an i7 and you can salvage that and sell the other parts, motherboards probably won't cost too much either

Ah, forgot to mention - UK.

Your budget? You may get a better performance going Ryzen.

If you still wanna build used, go to Aliexpress, check a X99 + Xeon combo.

Xeon E5 can be had for cheap, and the memory is cheap too. Half the price of current DDR4.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

8 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Get an optiplex for like 120 bucks with a 3770 and then sell the parts that you don't need 

The difference between haswell and ivy bridge isn't to significant and a 3770 or a k will probably perform on par or better than a 4690k.  Or you can just go with the haswell route and get a 4790k and a z97 board for like 120ish bucks combined.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Your budget? You may get a better performance going Ryzen.

If you still wanna build used, go to Aliexpress, check a X99 + Xeon combo.

Xeon E5 can be had for cheap, and the memory is cheap too. Half the price of current DDR4.

Well, a used cpu/mobo/ram combo goes for about £160, so about that. 

1 minute ago, NZgamer said:

I'd probably go for Marketplace, lots of people who don't know much about computers will probably be selling old or parts without knowing what they are for quite cheap, best place to look in my opinion. But I'd also look around other sites just to be sure.

Thanks !

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£79.98 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: Biostar B450MH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£54.25 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£44.49 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £178.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-07 10:41 BST+0100

4 Core - 4 threads APU with 8gb DDR4

OR

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor  (£46.43 @ Aria PC) 
Memory: PNY Anarchy-X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£61.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £162.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-07 10:42 BST+0100

2 Core - 4 threads APU with 16gb DDR4

With both of these, you can upgrade the system to a better, more cores later.

Or you can wait for Ryzen 4000 and get the latest chip next Xmas.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£79.98 @ Aria PC) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£44.49 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £178.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-07 10:41 BST+0100

4 Core - 4 threads APU with 8gb DDR4

OR

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor  (£46.43 @ Aria PC) 
Memory: PNY Anarchy-X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£61.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £162.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-07 10:42 BST+0100

2 Core - 4 threads APU with 16gb DDR4

With both of these, you can upgrade the system to a better, more cores later.

Or you can wait for Ryzen 4000 and get the latest chip next Xmas.

It's still more money in the long term, and like I said, im not really bothered by new hardware as next time I upgrade will probably be in 2-3 years time. Also this still turns out as more total cost as I will have to buy a better chip later, as well as having to settle for a low end motherboard.

2 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

It's still more money in the long term, and like I said, im not really bothered by new hardware as next time I upgrade will probably be in 2-3 years time. Also this still turns out as more total cost as I will have to buy a better chip later, as well as having to settle for a low end motherboard.

You don't need to upgrade if this one is enough. I'm just marking the possibility.

your plan to use i5-4690k is not a good one, since you can get a new 3200, same 4 core, 4 threads, same performance but a better upgrade path.

If you want to save a little further, get everything used, you can get up to 30% discount.

Used parts for the i5 must be old, especially the motherboard, after 3-5 years it will start to fail.

20 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Well, a used cpu/mobo/ram combo goes for about £160, so about that. 

That's not a very good deal for a haswell i5...

7 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

It's still more money in the long term

...how so? anyway the takeaway for you should be to look for better used hardware because the stuff you're looking at costs almost the same as equivalent or  better new hardware.

Take a look at this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Ryzen-5-1600-32GHz-6-Core-AM4-Processor/203003837889?hash=item2f43f8bdc1%3Ag%3AP1AAAOSwCYtezl1X&LH_ItemCondition=3000&LH_BIN=1

with the motherboard and ram @SupaKomputa suggested or with used parts, it's a better cpu at a better value.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

...how so? anyway the takeaway for you should be to look for better used hardware because the stuff you're looking at costs almost the same as equivalent or  better new hardware.

Take a look at this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Ryzen-5-1600-32GHz-6-Core-AM4-Processor/203003837889?hash=item2f43f8bdc1%3Ag%3AP1AAAOSwCYtezl1X&LH_ItemCondition=3000&LH_BIN=1

with the motherboard and ram @SupaKomputa suggested or with used parts, it's a better cpu at a better value.

Your right in saying its a better upgrade path. It's just the RAM is so much more than DDR3.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Also is the AM4 cooler mounting bracket the same as AM3+? 

Should probably head for a 2nd to 4th gen i7 instead of i5. As 4c/4t is a pretty dead end path at this point. 

1 minute ago, refinedskillz said:

Also is the AM4 cooler mounting bracket the same as AM3+? 

you don't need to use the old cooler, it's included in the box.

5 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Your right in saying its a better upgrade path. It's just the RAM is so much more than DDR3.

You can find older used 2133-2666mhz DDR4 cheaper, people are upgrading to 3600mhz.

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

you don't need to use the old cooler, it's included in the box.

You can find older used 2133-2666mhz DDR4 cheaper, people are upgrading to 3600mhz.

Ok, thanks guys, I think I'll go for a 1st gen used ryzen then, does seem to be the better option.

the "top end" intel chips in older generations are always overpriced, i presume because folk wanting to squeeze the last out of their old platform with no upgrade path. And since modern games really do struggle on a 4c4t platform i would really urge another option than the i5.

Personally, i'd spend on the CPU and install it on the cheapest board i could find. Ryzen is an SoC, the board plays next to no role in performance and on a tight budget spending lots of it on a motherboard is only going to end up with a poorer performing system

Ryzen does like fast ram, but it'll still perform just fine on 2400/2666 ram, and if you like tinkering, you'll very likely be able to tune the ram up manually.

My recent "fairly-budget" lounge PC build used a 2600x from Aliexpress, which i got for £80. Unfortunately COVID has shafted the used prices quite a bit. However you can find used 1600x chips on ebay for around the same price. Try to get an X series chip, as they're usually similar money, but have much better boost clocks which saves having to mess with overclocking (which also means you can get away with a more entry level mobo!).

If you end up without a cooler, the Wraith Spire with the copper core is cheap and effective. I have them on both my 3700x and my 2600x.

On 7/7/2020 at 11:36 AM, Aragorn- said:

the "top end" intel chips in older generations are always overpriced, i presume because folk wanting to squeeze the last out of their old platform with no upgrade path. And since modern games really do struggle on a 4c4t platform i would really urge another option than the i5.

Personally, i'd spend on the CPU and install it on the cheapest board i could find. Ryzen is an SoC, the board plays next to no role in performance and on a tight budget spending lots of it on a motherboard is only going to end up with a poorer performing system

Ryzen does like fast ram, but it'll still perform just fine on 2400/2666 ram, and if you like tinkering, you'll very likely be able to tune the ram up manually.

My recent "fairly-budget" lounge PC build used a 2600x from Aliexpress, which i got for £80. Unfortunately COVID has shafted the used prices quite a bit. However you can find used 1600x chips on ebay for around the same price. Try to get an X series chip, as they're usually similar money, but have much better boost clocks which saves having to mess with overclocking (which also means you can get away with a more entry level mobo!).

If you end up without a cooler, the Wraith Spire with the copper core is cheap and effective. I have them on both my 3700x and my 2600x.

Im looking at this after you've posted it, but i'll tell you what I ended up doing:

I bought a used ryzen 5 1600 off ebay for £75 - not the X.

Spent £100 on an ATX sized motherboard, one because i have a pet peeve about mAtx mobos in ATX cases, two because I like the USB 3.2Gen2 and type c ports. (also slightly better for OC as i dont have an X.

Spent about £65 on 16GB of DDR4 at 2666mhz

(Edit: not the best choice, but im not too bothered.)

Should do you well, and you'll be able to overclock the 1600 non-X upto X speeds anyway.

Similarly with the RAM, its very likely you can get more out of them.

1 hour ago, Aragorn- said:

Should do you well, and you'll be able to overclock the 1600 non-X upto X speeds anyway.

Similarly with the RAM, its very likely you can get more out of them.

Cool! :)