GTX 980 Ti died

Stigs

Hey Everyone!  Over this past weekend I turned on my desktop to use for the first time in a few weeks.  I used it to watch YouTube and looks through files for about an hour, and then I didn't use it for the next several hours but I left it on (however it is possible that folding at home was running in the background, but I do not believe I had it setup to run at that time).  I came back to the room a few hours after using it to the smell of burning electronics.  The system had turned itself off on it's own, and when I took it apart, the GPU (gtx 980 ti) smelled like it was the item that had been shorting out/burning. The system wouldn't boot with the 980 ti installed, but it would boot with my old gtx 660 ti.  I haven't used my PC much since putting the 660 ti in it, but it seems to be working fine.  My question is: How do I determine if this was an isolated issue with the 980 ti, or if this failure was caused by another part of the PC? I upgraded my pc to a ryzen 3600, a MSI B450 mobo, and a Seasonic 80+ Gold PSU back in February, so I don't believe that those parts could have caused the issue, but I don't want to rule anything out, especially the PSU.

If your 660Ti is working fine i'd guess it was just a faulty GPU. If your PSU failed it would have been likely to kill not just the GPU.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

My friend had exactly the same issue. The gpu was MSI 980ti. He thought it was a psu as well, so he replaced it with a 1200w corsair. It turned out to be the 980ti's fault, one of the power phases burned out. Now he has a 2070 super from EVGA and couldn't be happier. 

i9 9900K/GSkill Trident RGB 4x8GB 3000Mhz/Asus Maximus X Hero/EVGA RTX2080TI XC ULTRA/Samsung 950pro+970pro nVME M.2 512gb/2x2tb ADATA ssd/3tb HDD/Corsair Obsidian 1000D/ EVGA SUPERNOVA T2 1600W/10xCorsair LL120/Alienware 34" 2k 120hz/LG 27" 4k 60hz/HyperX Alloy Elite RGB/Hyper X Pulsefire Surge RGB/SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless/Logitech c920.

9 minutes ago, gamelovers11223 said:

He thought it was a psu as well, so he replaced it with a 1200w corsair.

New Fallout Hold Up Meme Memes | Vault Boy Memes, Template Memes

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

30 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Do you have cats?

No I don't.