Is high refresh worth it for non competitive gaming?

AnAcidLemon
Go to solution Solved by Action_Johnson,

It for sure makes a difference. I have some sweet monitors at work, Eizo's, NEC's, DCI-P3 5K LG's, and at home I run a 27" LG 1080P IPS panel with a 144Hz refresh rate, and the eye-relief from running a faster refresh rate is what's most noticeable.

Even outside of games, just moving windows around and scrolling web pages, the difference is truly amazing. Bummer is you give up color depth and accuracy for it, so if you do anything creative on the regular that requires an accurate color calibration, getting a slower 60Hz panel with a strong color depth would be better.

Hello! 'm not sure if i should go for 144hz 1080p display or just a nice looking 1440p display. never experienced 144. I'm really into single player stuff and while I do play online sometimes, i'm not really competitive or whatever. you guys think 144hz is worth it? i'm really into IPS panels and always loved nice color, so i'm not really sure which one i should prioritize. 

Besides that, i have a rx 2700 xt and don't plan in upgrading for a long time, so i'm not really sure i should even be aiming at 144hz? -speaking of sticking to that GPU, should i also consider a really nice 1080p monitor instead of a 1440p one or do you guys think QHD is worth it?. i do like playing with fairly high settings-.

thanks for reading!

3 minutes ago, AnAcidLemon said:

Hello! 'm not sure if i should go for 144hz 1080p display or just a nice looking 1440p display. never experienced 144. I'm really into single player stuff and while I do play online sometimes, i'm not really competitive or whatever. you guys think 144hz is worth it? i'm really into IPS panels and always loved nice color, so i'm not really sure which one i should prioritize. 

Besides that, i have a rx 2700 xt and don't plan in upgrading for a long time, so i'm not really sure i should even be aiming at 144hz? -speaking of sticking to that GPU, should i also consider a really nice 1080p monitor instead of a 1440p one or do you guys think QHD is worth it?. i do like playing with fairly high settings-.

thanks for reading!

Depends on what you mean by competitive. I love 144hz but don't do ranked in any game. It makes gaming (and desktop usage) more enjoyable imo. Theres perks for competitive but it isn't the only reason to go higher refresh rate.

If you play alot of first person shooters yeah. Personally no, I would like better looking 1440p panel.

Magical Pineapples

It certainly makes everything more fluid, regardless of latency.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

2 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Depends on what you mean by competitive. I love 144hz but don't do ranked in any game. It makes gaming (and desktop usage) more enjoyable imo. Theres perks for competitive but it isn't the only reason to go higher refresh rate.

Interesting, when you talk about the experience being more enjoyable, do you mean overall responsiveness?  

I do feel quite alright with 60Hz, tough some friends have told me that 144Hz is the kind of thing that once you try it you don't want to go back because it sort of "spoils" the previous experience for you, lol.  

It for sure makes a difference. I have some sweet monitors at work, Eizo's, NEC's, DCI-P3 5K LG's, and at home I run a 27" LG 1080P IPS panel with a 144Hz refresh rate, and the eye-relief from running a faster refresh rate is what's most noticeable.

Even outside of games, just moving windows around and scrolling web pages, the difference is truly amazing. Bummer is you give up color depth and accuracy for it, so if you do anything creative on the regular that requires an accurate color calibration, getting a slower 60Hz panel with a strong color depth would be better.

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

4 minutes ago, AnAcidLemon said:

Interesting, when you talk about the experience being more enjoyable, do you mean overall responsiveness?  

I do feel quite alright with 60Hz, tough some friends have told me that 144Hz is the kind of thing that once you try it you don't want to go back because it sort of "spoils" the previous experience for you, lol.  

Personally I went from a 1440p 60hz panel to a 1080p 144hz panel and I would much rather use the 144hz panel for everything. I plan to get an ultrawide and am looking at a 1080p 100hz+ monitor simply because imo past 1080p things depreciate fast. 1440p 144hz is the sweet spot but i'd personally say a good 1080p 144hz monitor is better ESPECIALLY if you game than a 1440p 60hz monitor.

Just now, Action_Johnson said:

This is what I mean by desktop usage. Gaming is a MASSIVE jump but even desktop stuff is nice.

If you tried anything that was 100hz+ for a week and went back to 60hz you'd definitely notice the difference and stop feeling quite alright about it.

Even something as simple as scrolling your browser is better on higher refreshrates.

4 minutes ago, desertcomputer said:

If you play alot of first person shooters yeah. Personally no, I would like better looking 1440p panel.

3 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

It certainly makes everything more fluid, regardless of latency.

So would you guys say that it mostly helps in terms of quick reaction time games and the overall "feel" of the machine? -I study graphic design and i rarely play shooters, so i'm guessing maybe i should look for wide color gamut monitor instead of a really fast one?"

2 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

Hey thanks a bunch! this is really informative, no idea that refresh rate affects color depth. I'll go for 60Hz monitor, thank you 😄

5 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Personally I went from a 1440p 60hz panel to a 1080p 144hz panel and I would much rather use the 144hz panel for everything. I plan to get an ultrawide and am looking at a 1080p 100hz+ monitor simply because imo past 1080p things depreciate fast. 1440p 144hz is the sweet spot but i'd personally say a good 1080p 144hz monitor is better ESPECIALLY if you game than a 1440p 60hz monitor.

This is what I mean by desktop usage. Gaming is a MASSIVE jump but even desktop stuff is nice.

4 minutes ago, pzspah said:

If you tried anything that was 100hz+ for a week and went back to 60hz you'd definitely notice the difference and stop feeling quite alright about it.

Even something as simple as scrolling your browser is better on higher refreshrates.

Thanks for your opinions! i'll keep them in mind. 

Have a nice day!

This is what I use at the office full-time, and it's pretty good: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1416626-REG/nec_pa271q_bk_27_color_critical_desktop.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9v2I1Z6t6gIVAhLnCh1TAAPYEAQYASABEgKzZPD_BwE

This is what I use at home, and if you keep a good distance from the monitor like I do (4-feet-ish), it's totally fine:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL650F-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07R7636MH

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

9 hours ago, AnAcidLemon said:

So would you guys say that it mostly helps in terms of quick reaction time games and the overall "feel" of the machine? -I study graphic design and i rarely play shooters, so i'm guessing maybe i should look for wide color gamut monitor instead of a really fast one?"

Sorry for the late reply, but the answer is both. Snappier machine is a happier machine.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

It is. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |