Which is better to pair with Intel Optane Memory 16GB

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
4 minutes ago, Jenny Casarino said:

@Shirolmao I already have Western Digital 240GB SATA SSD, would there be any difference if I have and M.2 SSD instead?

Optane is meant as a booster for slow storage. On a ssd it's pretty much useless. It is NOT a replacement for an ssd at all. All in all optane is kinda pointless in such small quantities and pretty much just a failed attempt at having another sshd thing going on.

So basically if you want more storage get a bigger ssd or keep your current ssd and add in a hdd. Optane is basically useless either way.

Also do you still have to buy the 8086k?

Would it be much better if I do my rig with 240GB SSD + Intel Optane 16GB vs 1TB HDD + Intel Optane 16GB?

I currently have a Western Digital Green SSD @ 240GB and a Seagate Barracuda HDD @ 1TB and plan to run on an Intel® Core™ i7-8086K Processor
I would appreciate any inputs.

Best regards

May I ask what is the purpose of optane 16GB in your rig? With the price of intel optane 16gb you can already get a 240gb m.2.

240gb m.2 + 1tb hdd

It depends on what your system is being used for. If you want fast access to files over 16gb use the ssd as a cache to the hdd.

Or just run a ssd and hdd like a regular build.

@Shirolmao I already have Western Digital 240GB SATA SSD, would there be any difference if I have an M.2 SSD instead?

@narrdarr That was originally the plan but since I have an Intel Optane, I thought it would be better to pair it with either the HDD or the SSD.

4 minutes ago, Jenny Casarino said:

@Shirolmao I already have Western Digital 240GB SATA SSD, would there be any difference if I have and M.2 SSD instead?

Optane is meant as a booster for slow storage. On a ssd it's pretty much useless. It is NOT a replacement for an ssd at all. All in all optane is kinda pointless in such small quantities and pretty much just a failed attempt at having another sshd thing going on.

So basically if you want more storage get a bigger ssd or keep your current ssd and add in a hdd. Optane is basically useless either way.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

So you're saying that pairing the optane to either the ssd or the hdd wouldn't be that much effective? Even if I would go for the ssd+optane as the boot drive and the hdd for the storage?

Just now, Jenny Casarino said:

So you're saying that pairing the optane to either the ssd or the hdd wouldn't be that much effective? Even if I would go for the ssd+optane as the boot drive and the hdd for the storage?

Yeah especially on the ssd it's basically useless. If you bought it and can return it do so. If not pair it with the hdd and maybe notice a difference.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah especially on the ssd it's basically useless. If you bought it and can return it do so. If not pair it with the hdd and maybe notice a difference.

Thanks for the advise. Never expected this to be that irrelevant. Might as well try to return it, if it's still possible.

3 minutes ago, Jenny Casarino said:

Thanks for the advise. Never expected this to be that irrelevant. Might as well try to return it, if it's still possible.

Yeah it's basically like those ssd boosters for hdds from 2008-2010. Basically useless too but back then ssds were stupid expensive still so people took what they could get. Nowadays those things just don't make sense.

-Moved to Storage Devices-

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

I'm sorry I forgot to answer your question regarding the processor. I already have the 8086K processor from a previous rig. Would there be any case if I don't have this already? Aside going for the 9th gens anyway.

2 hours ago, Jenny Casarino said:

I'm sorry I forgot to answer your question regarding the processor. I already have the 8086K processor from a previous rig. Would there be any case if I don't have this already? Aside going for the 9th gens anyway.

Oh no if you didn't have it I would have recommended a ryzen or maybe a 10th gen intel. Since you have it use it.