IS AMD encoding working better than previously?

Nexblitzer

So originally i heard a lot of stuff about AMD's VCE and it having multiple issues making in unstable for encoding. This was related to there Adrenalin drivers if i remember correctly, and after having hearing that in the Feb update they fixed most of there drivers issues, was wondering if they had fixed that as well. I don't actually own a card, i'm just wanting to know if that's true.

It actually depends on the version of VCE your card has, early generation GCN cards always had issues with video encoding. I am not sure about latest generation cards but knowing AMD, I wouldnt expect anything to be fixed, ever.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I'm not sure how stable VCE is nowadays on Navi, but regardless if you're looking to get the best quality I'd consider Turing NVENC instead for encoding, so Nvidia.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I've never had issues with the encoder and assuming you're using decently stable software, it should be fine.

15 minutes ago, Levent said:

It actually depends on the version of VCE your card has, early generation GCN cards always had issues with video encoding. I am not sure about latest generation cards but knowing AMD, I wouldnt expect anything to be fixed, ever.

Sweeping generalisations aren't helpful. The current drivers are very much fine and have been for quite a while. Not sure what you're getting at considering we've seen everyone have drive hiccups occasionally - intel, Nvidia, Samsung and etc.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

I've never had issues with the encoder and assuming you're using decently stable software, it should be fine.

Sweeping generalisations aren't helpful. The current drivers are very much fine and have been for quite a while. Not sure what you're getting at considering we've seen everyone have drive hiccups occasionally - intel, Nvidia, Samsung and etc.

Sooo, you have a 5700XT. And specifically what Software have you used?

2 minutes ago, Nexblitzer said:

Sooo, you have a 5700XT. And specifically what Software have you used?

5700 XT no, I've used slightly older cards with OBS, AMDs own utility and a few other streaming and video editing suites. Never really had issues that differ from what I experience on my current Nvidia card - most issues are down to the software suites these days

35 minutes ago, Nexblitzer said:

IS AMD encoding working better than previously?

Dunno about stability, but quality, yes, that definitely is an issue as AMD GPUs produce a lot, lot worse quality than anything else. See e.g. the video below from Eposvox for more info:

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

19 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

As someone who used AMD cards over a decade, I would be fine with "occasional" issues however in reality issues were constant. I used 3 generation of GCN cards (and also earlier cards) and all of them had issues with video decoding, encoding and with DRM. Knowing how bad AMD drivers were just before I sold my last AMD card a month ago, I am going to stick with my first hand experience.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

19 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Dunno about stability, but quality, yes, that definitely is an issue as AMD GPUs produce a lot, lot worse quality than anything else. See e.g. the video below from Eposvox for more info:

I have actually seen that video that EposVox does, that was a while ago, and because the fixed drivers came out, i was wondering if that was a resolved issue.

54 minutes ago, Levent said:

As someone who used AMD cards over a decade, I would be fine with "occasional" issues however in reality issues were constant. I used 3 generation of GCN cards (and also earlier cards) and all of them had issues with video decoding, encoding and with DRM. Knowing how bad AMD drivers were just before I sold my last AMD card a month ago, I am going to stick with my first hand experience.

Funnily enough I've had pretty much the same amount of issues over the decade on a corporate level with both all AMD generations dating back to terrascale 2 and Nvidia dating back to Fermi. Issues were similar I cannot in good faith say we've had more issues on one than the other.

Fury was ok with H.264 for streaming I haven't stream with the 5700XT since upgrading, I have with encoded videos using .h265 on 5700XT and it is really good, super fast super high quality. 

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----