Draw the furthest Loo in the world - NASA offers USD 35000 for best moon toilet design

williamcll

bbdf9db8b57b11ea9fd0420b32d1216d.jpg

As NASA begins plans to return to the moon in a few years, they have now considered the likelihood of setting up a moonbase, this also includes human waste disposal so now NASA is asking for suggestions from around the world.

NASA is calling on the global community for their novel design concepts for compact toilets that can operate in both microgravity and lunar gravity.  These designs may be adapted for use in the Artemis lunar landers that take us back to the Moon.  Although space toilets already exist and are in use (at the International Space Station, for example), they are designed for microgravity only.  NASA’s Human Landing System Program is looking for a next-generation device that is smaller, more efficient, and capable of working in both microgravity and lunar gravity. This challenge includes a Technical category and Junior category.

Award: Technical – $35,000 in total prizes; Junior – public recognition from NASA and from HeroX, a winner’s certificate, and an item of official NASA-logoed merchandise

Open Date: June 25, 2020

Close Date: August 17, 2020

Source: https://www.herox.com/LunarLoo

https://scitechdaily.com/nasas-lunar-loo-challenge-35000-in-prizes-for-toilet-design-that-works-on-the-moon/

Thoughts: Well, 35000 does sound like a cheaper alternative than spending more for someone in-house to create a design. Would be interesting to see what designs people have to offer especially from countries with no space program.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Poop sock?                 jkjk

These seems like such a weird but understandable problem. The poops wont actually fall down (as fast) as on earth.

My best guess: Something that sucks the excrement/pee. Something like a vacuum cleaner but with a bowl shaped end.

Already been invented:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Now you can’t tell making toilets isn’t rocket science 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

The one I design won't be conventional. The tube is going in, and the shit is getting sucked out. Lube to the left, toilet paper to the right.

PM me for paypal information :P

Couldn't they use the same toilet as on the space station? It's designed to be used in near zero gravity and the while the moon has some gravity, it would still be better than most of what people can come up with. Maybe just reduce the suction strength a bit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Cheap alternative - colostomy bag. 

I have a simple, cheap, effective, and well tested design:

1. Shit in a bag
  2. Throw it out the window

I'm only half joking. Apollo astronauts had to shit in a bag, and modern day astronauts are still trained to do so in the case of a toilet failure.

Alot of people are saying "just use the space station toilet". It's too big and complicated for the lander, that's why they can't. Landers are pretty small, and space is at a super premium. They likely will do that for the base station when we get that far though.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME