Wired gaming headphone suggestion.

Eddo89

I am just looking to buy some wired headphones for a friend (he wants wired, don't want to deal with wireless). He also said specifically to get budget otherwise he would be compelled to buy a gift back so this could go back and forth until we both bankrupt ourselves. 

So out of the more common brands like Razer, Logitech, Corsair etc, which of their budget wired headphones has the strongest microphone, which is the primary thing he is looking for. Sound quality is not that important comparatively, while being not in the tight side on the headband is preferred. Also, he is not looking for a standalone mic, is mainly just MMORPG gaming on Discord with friends, not Twitch streaming or anything. I understand quality is not something common in the ~$100 range, just think of it as anything thats not really subpar. Budget can be higher if there is something exceptionally good value a little higher. 

I am no expert in these things, but I am looking at the likes of Razer Kraken etc, that kind of range. 

Thanks for any suggestion. 

Don't get something Razer.

See if you can find a good deal on a pair of Sennhesiers. You'll get better sound and mic quality out of them.

I don't really know what you mean by wanting to "deal" with wireless though; I went wireless this year, and I'm never going back.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

"deal" with wireless though;

latency, unlike mice latency, battery life and random disconnect can happen and it sucks if your in a competitive game.  not having to charge and quick switching is the best reason to use wired. 

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

latency, unlike mice latency, battery life and random disconnect can happen and it sucks if your in a competitive game.  not having to charge and quick switching is the best reason to use wired. 

Guess it depends what kind of wireless headphones you get. I've never had any of those issues.

Charging also isn't that big of a deal, especially if you get something like a Sennhesier GSP370; out of his price range, but exceptional.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I got the koss gmr 545 air and they have been great.  I tried the closed back version too and they’re good as well but the 545 air sound much better to me for games or movies and sound better than other ones I’ve tried in the past.  I also have their studio headphones.  I think it’s pretty hard to go wrong with stuff from them and they’re not as expensive as some other brands and headphones are their specialty.

Nerdslayer pretty much hit the nail on the head. Charging wireless is the biggest annoyance, as much as people can say is not an big issue, going wired means is not ever an issue. And also, wired are cheaper anyway generally so if you put it another way, it is a feature that won't really matter just as amazing sound quality is not the priority and thus is a waste of money there. 

The other real issue tech heads don't get is switching between sound sources is actually kinda non-intuitive in Windows for the tech-lay people, plugging in a USB sound device/3.5mm automatically switches to it on laptop which to me is the easiest solution once setup (after setting up countless people's Zoom setup because I am the resident tech expert of the team, I should know what is easy for non-tech people and what is hard), whereas you tend to use software to change source for wireless devices which is more annoying to teach than most imagine. Or you pull and plug in the dongle which at that point might as well plug in the wired headphone unless the cable is big deal. Either way, is his use case, he wants something to plug and play, and that's what I am going to do, rather than "techsplaining" him on going wireless. 

The Koss might be a little hard to get at my neck of the woods, and he will definitely want to the close version, I will have a look, thanks for the suggestion. I have bad experience with Razer mouse (specifically the Naga) build quality, here I am assuming thats the reason why the suggestion is to not get a Razer? I have heard their laptops going bad as well but nothing on their headphones. In terms of Sennheiser, specifically the gaming ones? I use the PXC550 as my work headphone and the mic quality is.... meh, as I presume most portable headphones would be. At least it was comfortable enough for 2 hour meetings unlike my Arctis 7. 

29 minutes ago, Eddo89 said:

I use the PXC550 as my work headphone and the mic quality is.... meh,

yeah most wireless does suck in the mic department even some of the most expensive stuff. in terms of the game one mic its not exactly spectacular here is a mic test but the sound quality for gaming is pretty great. if you want a better mic I would spend the cash to get the pc37x on drop . for new accounts they email you a $20 coupon which helps with the the shipping part of the costs.