Question about the ryzen r9 3900x + corsair H80i v2

What would happen if I stuck a r9 3900x in a coolermaster elite 110 with a corsair H80i v2? 

I was asking my computer teacher he said and I quote "  what would happen if I left your pet in the desert and not feed it for a week?" I answered "die?" 

He said the cpu would cook itself eve with that cooler. 

Is that true? 

Anyone with the knowledge please explain, thank you. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

That's pretty anemic for a cpu of that level. Importantly it wouldn't "die". It would however probably reach max temps and then clock down to not "die". Your teacher is either unaware that current hardware will downclock to keep itself safe or is explaining the level at which that cooler is anemic.

i think you should be fine if you dont overclock.

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

It wouldn't cook itself. This cooler is probably better than the stock AMD cooler that comes with the 3900X and even that one can handle it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

The H80i can handle a 3900X no problem, it's just that 120/140mm AIOs don't offer too noteworthy of a value. Just make sure you've at least decent airflow in your case.

4 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

That's pretty anemic for a cpu of that level. Importantly it wouldn't "die". It would however probably reach max temps and then clock down to not "die". Your teacher is either unaware that current hardware will downclock to keep itself safe or is explaining the level at which that cooler is anemic.

It's a thick 120mm rad that by default comes configured in push pull iirc, I'd say it's pretty far from "anemic". If that was the case, AMD wouldn't be including a box cooler with the 3900X in the first place.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Ohsnaps said:

Sorry but what does 'anemic' mean? 13yrs old in technical grade sorry

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

8 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Is that true? 

Nope 

That aio is pretty good and if a stock cooler can handle it ( which it can ) an aio would 

Don't know where your teacher got that from lol

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Sorry but what does 'anemic' mean? 13yrs old in technical grade sorry

Underpowered, in this context.

Granted a 240mm unit might be better, but if your budget won't stretch that far...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Sorry but what does 'anemic' mean?

In this situation im using it to describe the lack of ability it has. Not to say it won't work its just to say that for a cpu of that level a better cooling system should be bought IF you get a non-stock cooler. The actual definition of anemic is COMPLETELY different than how im using it. Its a medic term that generally applies to something with iron and blood causing lack of oxygen to be carried. IDK why some pc people use that word now that you bring it up I just have heard it used for similar situations.

Anaemia IS an iron deficiency... typically shows itself in lack of skin complexion.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Anaemia IS an iron deficiency...

Anemic includes iron deficiency but it also includes Thalassemia and sickle cell. according to google.

2 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

In this situation im using it to describe the lack of ability it has. Not to say it won't work its just to say that for a cpu of that level a better cooling system should be bought IF you get a non-stock cooler. The actual definition of anemic is COMPLETELY different than how im using it. Its a medic term that generally applies to something with iron and blood causing lack of oxygen to be carried. IDK why some pc people use that word now that you bring it up I just have heard it used for similar situations.

So it's a medical effect? 

I think I get the picture, 

3 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Anaemia IS an iron deficiency... typically shows itself in lack of skin complexion.

Anemic includes iron deficiency but it also includes Thalassemia and sickle cell. according to google.

Oh thanks for the explanation. 

Just now, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Oh thanks for the explanation. 

In conclusion getting that cooler would limit the potential and IMO you should just stick with the stock cooler unless you get something with more cooling potential than the corsair H80i v2. Your teacher wasn't specific and was probably pointing towards that. But that is IMO and there is advantages to non-stock coolers.

In conclusion getting that cooler would limit the potential and IMO you should just stick with the stock cooler unless you get something with more cooling potential than the corsair H80i v2. Your teacher wasn't specific and was probably pointing towards that. But that is IMO and there is advantages to non-stock coolers.

Well the CoolerMaster Elite 110 can only fit a 120mm AIO and the best air cooler it'll fit is the noctua nh L12s. 

19 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

What would happen if I stuck a r9 3900x in a coolermaster elite 110 with a corsair H80i v2? 

I was asking my computer teacher he said and I quote "  what would happen if I left your pet in the desert and not feed it for a week?" I answered "die?" 

Is that true? 

Anyone with the knowledge please explain, thank you. 

It wouldn't cook itself it just wouldn't boost as high as it could and would run warm, as said above it's better than the cooler that the chip ships with but the H80i isn't a great value when it's around the same price as great air coolers that stomp it in performance

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

It wouldn't cook itself it just wouldn't boost as high as it could and would run warm, as said above it's better than the cooler that the chip ships with but the H80i isn't a great value when it's around the same price as great air coolers that stomp it in performance

Which cooler and will it fit into the elite 110? 

3 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

76mm clearance according to corsair and this is 75.4 so very tight:

https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/570

Other than that a LP cooler from Noctua. The stock cooler that is sent with the 3900x won't actually fit in that case.

Overall though I wouldn't recommend jamming a 105W chip into a small ITX case. Not only are you wasting expandability  but you will never get the best performance out of any component in the system. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

76mm clearance according to corsair and this is 75.4 so very tight:

https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/570

Other than that a LP cooler from Noctua. The stock cooler that is sent with the 3900x won't actually fit in that case.

Overall though I wouldn't recommend jamming a 105W chip into a small ITX case. Not only are you wasting expandability  but you will never get the best performance out of any component in the system. 

I'm planning the system in theory due to form to function with the budget of a certain price with in the test. I'm trying to get an "A+" in this class is hard. 

Rules to the test :

The most powerful system in it's smallest form

Point +/- scores

Temps

Sound/silent 

Benchmark scores

Real editing time scores

Real time calculations scores

*would have used threadripper if the budget allowed*

and almost everyone else is using the couger itx case

6 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

I'm planning the system in theory due to form to function with the budget of a certain price with in the test. I'm trying to get an "A+" in this class is hard. 

Rules to the test :

The most powerful system in it's smallest form

Point +/- scores

Temps

Sound/silent 

Benchmark scores

Real editing time scores

Real time calculations scores

*would have used threadripper if the budget allowed*

and almost everyone else is using the couger itx case

Why not use the Core V1?

https://uk.thermaltake.com/core-v1.html

Comes with a massive 200mm fan at the front and allows for a 140mm CPU cooler. Cheaper than the cougar and only about 10% bigger.

9 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Why not use the Core V1?

https://uk.thermaltake.com/core-v1.html

Comes with a massive 200mm fan at the front and allows for a 140mm CPU cooler. Cheaper than the cougar and only about 10% bigger.

There was one in the classroom I'll check tomorrow 

2 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

There was one in the classroom I'll check tomorrow 

I had it’s bigger brother the V21 and it was great for airflow and sound. Plus you can use the box cooler which’ll be good for your budget.

55 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

that noctua nh ls 12 is better tyhan the 120mm aio anyway

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

4 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

that noctua nh ls 12 is better tyhan the 120mm aio anyway

Wouldn’t fit 

• 3 months later...

Hello guys! I really want to buy a Corsair H80i v2 for my Ryzen 3900x, I can only a single 120mm fan/radiator on my mid-tower case. I'm using the stock Prism Wraith and temps are reaching about 80c and thermal throttling to about 4.1Ghz, capping most of my games (GPU is a RTX 2080 ti). Do you guys think the buying this cooler might help decreasing the temps so I can run a higher clock and keeping a lower temperatura inside the case overall? Thanks!