CPU reaching 80-85 temp while gaming

hi guys, im hoping someone can please help me. i have a problem with my AMD FX 8350, while playing certain games it reaches 75-80 degrees and sometimes peaking up to 86!

i have re applies thermal paste servral  times and evreything. i have a stock fans and a normal heat sink what came with it can someone pls help me? Thank you 

Dust out the pc

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Well it's definitely your stock cooler that's causing the problem. Re-applying thermal paste isn't going to fix the problem. Try dusting out the CPU cooler (and case fans?) and see if that fixes the problem. If not, then you'll need a new CPU cooler.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

thanks guys for the replies, i have dusted sevral times over and over there surely isnt and dust anymore. i think F.E.A.R is right because it sounds like an airplane when under full load. im doing small tasks like youtube or streaming and its staying around 40 - 50 peaking to 60!!

22 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Dust out the pc

also guys theres this game what im not sure if i can share with you, its called "drug dealer simulator" and it makes my temps go up to 80-85

Ok, 80 - 85 degrees is definitely toasty. My advice would also be to get a new cooler. Or better yet, get a new CPU, Mainboard and Ram since AMD FX CPUs are definitely EOL. But if you cannot afford it or don't want to upgrade right now a new cooler will certainly fix your temperature issues.

There is no replacement for RGB except more RGB ?

1 hour ago, Joshjb60 said:

hi guys, im hoping someone can please help me. i have a problem with my AMD FX 8350, while playing certain games it reaches 75-80 degrees and sometimes peaking up to 86!

i have re applies thermal paste servral  times and evreything. i have a stock fans and a normal heat sink what came with it can someone pls help me? Thank you 

FX CPUs require liquid cooling. Your 8350 is legitimately going to burn out if you keep using it at that temperature. It's thermal limit is 61°C before thermal throttling starts to occur and chip degradation accelerates. Stock coolers are simply not acceptable for anything of that era. 

BUT then again, there's genuinely no point buying a sufficient cooler for something that out-of-date. I upgraded from an FX-9590 to a Ryzen 5 3600 for similar reasons. Even my 280mm AIO struggled to keep it in check AND the performance wasn't even worth all of the heat. The only use case I could see for an FX CPU in 2020 would be it acting as a space heater for your entire house.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

thanks so much guys for all your comments. im very stupid and have been playing games with a standard temp of 70. is there anything i can do right now to solve my problem? once again thanks for the replies. also what cooler do you recommend

10 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Max core temp for this chip is 61c

Max Package (socket/off die temp) you want to run is 68c

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8350

You really need to fix the cooling issue.

it says on core temp 83 tj max and its running around 50 on google! help me pls

1 hour ago, Joshjb60 said:

I did help you. The link is directly to AMD website. Says 61c and thats the core temp max.

The socket temp might be as high as 83c..... But Im pretty certain you want that under 70c.

There is a difference in temps to look at. Must pay attention to both cores and off die temps.

We did help you, you've got the following advice: Either get a good third party cooler that manages the heat output of your CPU or abandon the platform altogether and get a new mainboard, RAM and CPU. Honestly I'd not invest anything in an aging AMD FX platform and go for a Ryzen CPU instead. That's all you can do, there is no magic trick to bring down the temps which are way above what's recommended for your CPU.

On 6/25/2020 at 6:45 AM, Joshjb60 said:

Just get a hyper 212 Evo, gammax 400 or the snowman cooler of AliExpress. Also what case do u have

1 hour ago, HD1 star wars said:

Just get a hyper 212 Evo, gammax 400 or the snowman cooler of AliExpress. Also what case do u have

i bought the evo 212 just to say its fucking huge lol. temps are fine now thanks for all the help

On 6/25/2020 at 12:53 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

Max core temp for this chip is 61c

Max Package (socket/off die temp) you want to run is 68c

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8350

You really need to fix the cooling issue.

right so the idle temps go from 17,20 up to 30 sometimes but i was playing "drug dealer sim" and my temps reached 73! i have the evo 212 cooler now and alot of fans in my case idk what to do !!!

16 minutes ago, Joshjb60 said:

right so the idle temps go from 17,20 up to 30 sometimes but i was playing "drug dealer sim" and my temps reached 73! i have the evo 212 cooler now and alot of fans in my case idk what to do !!!

What thermal paste did you use? 

Did you ad fans to the cooler for push and pull?

You could post a good picture which shows the interior of your PC, maybe someone will be able to spot possible causes for your issues.

Also check your fans, are they mounted correctly? Pay attention to the direction of airflow, it's usually best to configure the front fans as intake and the rear one as exhaust. Then place the CPU cooler accordingly so it pulls in cool air from the front fans and pushes the hot air out  towards the rear exhaust fan.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

What thermal paste did you use? 

Did you ad fans to the cooler for push and pull?

hi i used the paste what came with it and i dont understand push and pull i just added to fans at the top of the case to take the heat out

1 hour ago, oeci said:

Also check your fans, are they mounted correctly? Pay attention to the direction of airflow, it's usually best to configure the front fans as intake and the rear one as exhaust. Then place the CPU cooler accordingly so it pulls in cool air from the front fans and pushes the hot air out  towards the rear exhaust fan.

hi what i did was have a rear fan and then the evo cooler facing down, i think it may be the paste because if im AFK and then ,ove my cursor it goes from 16 degress to 30 suddenly so might be that. i appriectae all you guys helping me btw means alot

Your airflow should look something like this:

Does the fan direction for the CPU cooling make a ...

Also I would not mount the CPU cooler facing down. Instead mount it horizontally so it pulls fresh air from the front and pushes it out towards the back.

On 6/24/2020 at 5:03 PM, OfficialTechSpace said:

FX CPUs require liquid cooling. Your 8350 is legitimately going to burn out if you keep using it at that temperature. It's thermal limit is 61°C before thermal throttling starts to occur and chip degradation accelerates. Stock coolers are simply not acceptable for anything of that era. 

BUT then again, there's genuinely no point buying a sufficient cooler for something that out-of-date. I upgraded from an FX-9590 to a Ryzen 5 3600 for similar reasons. Even my 280mm AIO struggled to keep it in check AND the performance wasn't even worth all of the heat. The only use case I could see for an FX CPU in 2020 would be it acting as a space heater for your entire house.

Not ALL FX CPUs require liquid cooling.

It was recommended the FX-9000 series run liquid cooling (e..g 240mm radiator), or use an equivalently powerful air cooling .... like the Noctua NH-D14.

Not only that, a AM3+ motherboard with a decent VRM topology, and VRM cooling.

I was dailying my FX-8350 @ all-core 4.9 GHz 1.47V, using a Thermaltake Frio CPU cooler .... for 3 ~4 years.

Of course with aftermarket high static pressure fans, and an 8+2 phase VRM ASUS Crosshair V Formula board.

On 6/24/2020 at 5:30 PM, Joshjb60 said:

6 hours ago, Joshjb60 said:

The Hyper 212 EVO cooler is DEFINTELY better than the stock cooler, but it is NOT the best performing CPU cooler out there.

It's a 29.93 cooler....not going to be able to compete with a ... 50.00+ cooler.

Is your FX-8350 running at stock settings, or do you have it overclocked?

What computer case are you using?

If the case airflow is bad, temperatures will still be on the warmer side.

Also try setting / using a more aggressive CPU fan profile.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

2 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Not ALL FX CPUs require liquid cooling.

It was recommended the FX-9000 series run liquid cooling (e..g 240mm radiator), or use an equivalently powerful air cooling .... like the Noctua NH-D14.

Given the 61°C thermal limit, there is realistically NO air cooler that is capable of keeping an 8 Core CPU with a 125W TDP within that thin margin before thermal throttling occurs. Realistically, even with a dual-tower air cooler you would still experience thermal throttling due to it's running temperature of what would likely be over 70°C (10°C over the thermal limit). You might as well just get a liquid cooler if your going to need to spend such big money on what presumably would have to be a very high-end air cooler, just for better value.

And mind you, these temperatures are whilst gaming (with presumably 30-50% CPU utilization). Don't even think about running a stress test or rendering a video (presumably at 70-100% CPU utilization) without immediate thermal throttling, reaching temperatures at or above even 80°C (which is not a safe operating temperature for this generation of CPUs).

As I should have also said previously (but sadly didn't), gaming temperatures shouldn't ever reach above even the mid-high 50's in terms of temperatures. Realistically that just means that under a harsher sustained load you will without a doubt exceed that thermal limit as even 50°C is right on the edge (my FX-9590 used to begin thermal throttling at about 57°C, which even with a 280mm AIO was impossible to keep under).

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

37 minutes ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Given the 61°C thermal limit, there is realistically NO air cooler that is capable of keeping an 8 Core CPU with a 125W TDP within that thin margin before thermal throttling occurs. Realistically, even with a dual-tower air cooler you would still experience thermal throttling due to it's running temperature of what would likely be over 70°C (10°C over the thermal limit). You might as well just get a liquid cooler if your going to need to spend such big money on what presumably would have to be a very high-end air cooler, just for better value.

And mind you, these temperatures are whilst gaming (with presumably 30-50% CPU utilization). Don't even think about running a stress test or rendering a video (presumably at 70-100% CPU utilization) without immediate thermal throttling, reaching temperatures at or above even 80°C (which is not a safe operating temperature for this generation of CPUs).

As I should have also said previously (but sadly didn't), gaming temperatures shouldn't ever reach above even the mid-high 50's in terms of temperatures. Realistically that just means that under a harsher sustained load you will without a doubt exceed that thermal limit as even 50°C is right on the edge (my FX-9590 used to begin thermal throttling at about 57°C, which even with a 280mm AIO was impossible to keep under).

From what I've read, back in the day, that 61*C / 62*C is the temperature underneath the socket or something, but the CPU itself can go higher.

I've exceeded 61*C thermal limit, albeit only by a few degrees, the FX-8350 does not thermal throttle.

I've reached 80*C+ during IBT / AVX burn test, using 1.5V VCore, and a really high VCore LLC, again the CPU didn't throttle, but wasn't stress test stable.

(Which was why I settled on 4.9 GHz all-core OC)

Just curious, what motherboard were you using with your FX-9590?

My FX-8350 pushing all-core 4.8 / 4.9 / 5.0 GHz with an air cooler.

Then again, 2x static pressure 120mm fans on the tower cooler in push-pull, rear 120mm exhaust, bottom intake, and another 120mm in the 5.25" optical bay.

220mm fron intake, 200mm side intake, 230mm top exhaust. 

s7iFVKol.jpg

Yeah...5.0 GHz all-core with 1.5V making the CPU max out at 82*C+ .

XxoOF7Ch.jpg

And then 4.9 GHz, topping off at 62*C in Firestrike...at the time.

large.4_9_GHz_CPU_CF_R9_Fury_OC_1125_500_3D_Mark_Fire_Strike_1_1.PNG.f634bb4c75f00faabea341681765ada7.PNG

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>