M.2 SATA better than 2.5 in SATA?

Jae Tee

So I watched the bellow video 2ice and have seen the same conclusion. For most things other than sequential Read and Writes NVMe has no benefit to sata. Problem is the video omitted M.2 sata drives, and I have a hard time believing (without any proof) that an M.2 sata would be the same or even worse than 2.5 sata. So my question is: Is there any benefit, in terms of speed, to the M.2 form factor that you wouldn't get from a standard sata cable, while also avoiding the pitfalls of NVMe, for day to day use?

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

3 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Is there any benefit, in terms of speed, to the M.2 form factor that you wouldn't get from a standard sata cable,

No benefit.

No need to manage cables is a benefit for me, but that's it.

Edited by nox_

Due to controller design (what sits between the PCI_e slot and the NAND flash), with M.2 SATA drives you're stuck with the same amount of bandwidth as you'd have over a standard SATA cable. Even if there's a small/minute improvement in delay/latency due to shorter traces, it'd be virtually undetectable in day to day use for a consumer.

In other words, the only difference is the physical form factor. Performance is ~the same.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

small/minute improvement in delay/latency

Realistically that's all im looking for

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

10 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Is there any benefit, in terms of speed, to the M.2 form factor that you wouldn't get from a standard sata cable, while also avoiding the pitfalls of NVMe, for day to day use?

There is no speed difference between SATA 2.5" vs. M.2 SATA (if we're comparing the 'same' SSD's like 860 EVO M.2 vs 2.5").

The main benefit in such a case would be no need for any cables.

The disadvantage is that typically when using an M.2 (SATA) SSD, multiple SATA ports will get turned off.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Jae Tee said:

Realistically that's all im looking for

Unless you're doing something like high speed electronic stock trading or tracking prices in a database for a large company where constant accuracy is critical you are not going to notice the difference between M.2 SATA and standard SATA.

If you want M.2 SATA for the convince of the form factor that's about the extent of the realistic benefits it comes with.

If that video is the one I think it is, none of the testers could definitively tell the difference - SSD's are all basically the same; if you're in the 1% that needs the ultimate speed, you'd be getting the hardware bought for you.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!