Noctua NH-D14 with Ryzen 3900x

LpoolTech

Hey!

So I've been running my 3900x with stock cooler due to running out of funds when I build this PC last year. Its been fine but so noisy and where I live it gets super hot in the summer (I don't have air conditioning in my office at present time) so the temperatures are getting pretty high. Anyway I've been researching coolers, my case supports up to 160mm so NH-D15 and be quiet dark pro are out of running due to height of 165mm and 162.8mm respectively but I found this great deal on open new stock on NH-D14 for 50 euro with six year warranty and all that good staff. My question is what type of performance could I expect as D14 in a older design and I cant find any numbers on it also I've heard that some coolers from that era perform better with Intel CPUs? What do you think guys? Do you have any other recommendations? 

3 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

Hey!

So I've been running my 3900x with stock cooler due to running out of funds when I build this PC last year. Its been fine but so noisy and where I live it gets super hot in the summer (I don't have air conditioning in my office at present time) so the temperatures are getting pretty high. Anyway I've been researching coolers, my case supports up to 160mm so NH-D15 and be quiet dark pro are out of running due to height of 165mm and 162.8mm respectively but I found this great deal on open new stock on NH-D14 for 50 euro with six year warranty and all that good staff. My question is what type of performance could I expect as D14 in a older design and I cant find any numbers on it also I've heard that some coolers from that era perform better with Intel CPUs? What do you think guys? Do you have any other recommendations? 

Maybe Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO? It's 124 x 157 x 103 mm

The D14 is still a very capable cooler, though you'll probably have to ask Noctua for AM4 mounting, since it was launched (and even discontiuned iirc?) before AM4 was a thing.

Also check out be quiet's Dark Rock TF, as it should have fairly similar performance to the D14 but is a downdraft cooler.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

16 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The D14 is still a very capable cooler, though you'll probably have to ask Noctua for AM4 mounting, since it was launched (and even discontiuned iirc?) before AM4 was a thing.

Good point on that. They used to supply a free AM4 kit with evidence you bought it with AM4 CPU, but don't know if that is still current. They also sold it separately.

16 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Also check out be quiet's Dark Rock TF, as it should have fairly similar performance to the D14 but is a downdraft cooler.

I've had good experience with Dark Rock Pro 4, certainly in a similar class to the bigger Noctua coolers.

17 minutes ago, madeinos said:

I have a couple of these on my more budget systems. Definitely a tier lower than the other coolers though, while still a good step up from the AMD stock coolers.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, madeinos said:

I've looked at it and I wasn't impressed with performance numbers on x3900 but thanks for suggestion 

23 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The listing says its compatible with AM4 socket so I assume its included and for the Dark Rock TF it's around 36 euro more so I'm not sure if its worth going with it over dh14

7 minutes ago, porina said:

Good point on that. They used to supply a free AM4 kit with evidence you bought it with AM4 CPU, but don't know if that is still current. They also sold it separately.

I've had good experience with Dark Rock Pro 4, certainly in a similar class to the bigger Noctua coolers.

I have a couple of these on my more budget systems. Definitely a tier lower than the other coolers though, while still a good step up from the AMD stock coolers.

Listing says it's compatible with AM4. I wish I could use dark rock pro 4 but due to height its not possible although the Dark Rock TF its and option need to check its performance and reviews though if 35euro more over D14 make sense  

D14 is still a little better than D15, just a bit bigger. Lol eSports duo is not even remotely in the same class of cooler. Don't recommend a budget cooler for a top of the line CPU lol. I wouldn't even run that Arctic on my LGA775 board. As for AM4 support, yikes.. probably not. but you never know. Would probably have to contact them for a D15 mount.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

D14 is still a little better than D15, just a bit bigger.

Reviews and even cooler specs disagree with you there. D15 is 10mm wider and 5mm deeper than D14. Also weighing some 80g more.

D15 heatsink is 160mm tall. The fan is one going over. @LpoolTech whats your RAM gonna be? D14 is very restrictive with RAM.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Whoops guess I had it backwards. Yes it is very restrictive with ram. I liked the performance but hated the inconvenience of running it. Iirc it blocked 5 out of the 6 slots on my board. Been awhile.. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

23 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Reviews and even cooler specs disagree with you there. D15 is 10mm wider and 5mm deeper than D14. Also weighing some 80g more.

D15 heatsink is 160mm tall. The fan is one going over. @LpoolTech whats your RAM gonna be? D14 is very restrictive with RAM.

My motherboard is aorus x570 elite (4 ram slots) and I'm running two sticks of memory with height of 32.5mm non rgb and pretty low profile IMO

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

D14 is still a little better than D15, just a bit bigger. Lol eSports duo is not even remotely in the same class of cooler. Don't recommend a budget cooler for a top of the line CPU lol. I wouldn't even run that Arctic on my LGA775 board. As for AM4 support, yikes.. probably not. but you never know. Would probably have to contact them for a D15 mount.

I'm not considering Arctic :) thanks! 

39 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

My motherboard is aorus x570 elite (4 ram slots) and I'm running two sticks of memory with height of 32.5mm non rgb and pretty low profile IMO

You are good to go with that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv