Best tiny PSUs

Hello.

Looking to design mt first computer case and i cant find much info on ultra small form factor PSUs.

1. What are some good PSU options smaller then SFX (or FlexATX)?
  2. Are pico PSUs enough to power a entry level ryzen cpu + a 1050ti or 1650 (low profile)

Thanks,

Del

for a low end pc with just a 1650 + ryzen, 400W psu should be plenty. but small psu's get really expensive and REALLY loud. 

7 minutes ago, Saksham said:

for a low end pc with just a 1650 + ryzen, 400W psu should be plenty. but small psu's get really expensive and REALLY loud. 

Can you suggest any good options?

29 minutes ago, thDel said:

Hello.

Looking to design mt first computer case and i cant find much info on ultra small form factor PSUs.

1. What are some good PSU options smaller then SFX (or FlexATX)?
  2. Are pico PSUs enough to power a entry level ryzen cpu + a 1050ti or 1650 (low profile)

Thanks,

Del

Define "ultra small form factor".

So you're going to scratch build your case?

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Define "ultra small form factor".

So you're going to scratch build your case?

I am designing a mini itx case, i work at a company where i have access to the required machinery to make it from aluminium and i plan on building a htpc. 

It will have a LP dual slot GPU (probably a 1650) and a entry level ryzen CPU (ryzen 3). 

I am taking inspiration from the J-Hack pure v2.

Ok.  So, problem with using a Pico PSU is you still need a power brick to provide power to the Pico PSU.  All Pico PSUs are are DC to DC converters.  They're not AC to DC converters.  And most power bricks are 120W which may not be enough for the whole system, never mind being quite expensive.  They have 180W and 240W bricks, but those are stupid expensive.

I would say your best bet is to stick with a standard ITX like the FSP FlexGuru or an SFX like the Corsair SF450.

15 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I would say your best bet is to stick with a standard ITX like the FSP FlexGuru or an SFX like the Corsair SF450.

Do you know of any for factors smaller then sfx that dont need a power brick and aren't crazy expensive, also exactly how much power is enough? is 180 watts or do i need 400.

Edit: on second thoughts a dont care about having a power brick i just thought that i can easily hide it behind the TV so im just looking for the smallest solution thats is not stupid expensive.

15 minutes ago, thDel said:

Do you know of any for factors smaller then sfx that dont need a power brick and aren't crazy expensive

FlexATX. Though "crazy expensive" is subjective. You pay more for the power density.

15 minutes ago, thDel said:

also exactly how much power is enough? is 180 watts or do i need 400.

The 1650 will require around 75W, the CPU probably around 50W or so depending on which Ryzen 3 you get.
Since it's a HTPC are you planning on having a couple of HDDs in it with movies stored on it or will it connect to a NAS for storage? (Allow about 10W per HDD in the system)

Are you planning on gaming from the HTPC or is it just more for media playback? Have you considering the APUs like a 3400G instead of using a Ryzen 3 + discrete GPU? You should easily be able to run a Ryzen APU off a laptop brick + DC-DC pico PSU. Would also be a fair bit cheaper if you don't require the extra GPU horsepower, and you can make it more compact without the 2 slot graphics card.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

27 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Since it's a HTPC are you planning on having a couple of HDDs in it with movies stored on it or will it connect to a NAS for storage? (Allow about 10W per HDD in the system)

Are you planning on gaming from the HTPC or is it just more for media playback?

My plan is to connect the pc to the tv in my man cave. I want to use if for gaming (valorant, rainbow 6 siege, overwatch) party games, movies (netflix and itunes so i dont need storage).

I plan to make it as small as i can without paying too much more and one of the ways to do that is thaat i want to use a small power supply. 

So in the pc there will be a lp gpu, a ryzen 3 cpu, a mobo and m.2 or sata ssd.

How much wattage do i need and how can i achieve that in a small space and low cost.

1 hour ago, thDel said:

Do you know of any for factors smaller then sfx that dont need a power brick and aren't crazy expensive, also exactly how much power is enough? is 180 watts or do i need 400.

SFX and Flex ARE the smallest form factors.  Yeah, you don't need 400W and they come in lower wattages, but they're not smaller just because they're lower wattage.  They're the same size.

A decent 120W 12V power brick can cost as little as $20.  But I fear that it may not be enough for the build (or very close).  And then the Pico PSU will be another $40.  So that's $60 just for 120W of power.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

SFX and Flex ARE the smallest form factors.  Yeah, you don't need 400W and they come in lower wattages

So can you recommend any specific models or should I just PCPP it.

11 hours ago, thDel said:

So can you recommend any specific models

I think I already did.