Looking for new Wifi router recommendations.

Dropndestroy213

Hey guys I'm looking for recommendations to replace my FiOS router. I have gigabit internet. My provided router has been acting up lately. Looking for something with a mesh option to get an ethernet outlet by my daughter's computer in another room.

Thanks for your help

4 minutes ago, Dropndestroy213 said:

Hey guys I'm looking for recommendations to replace my FiOS router. I have gigabit internet. My provided router has been acting up lately. Looking for something with a mesh option to get an ethernet outlet by my daughter's computer in another room.

Thanks for your help

Is your FIOS delivered via Ethernet to your router or Coax? Only ask because I know they do use Coax when TV service is in play. 

If its Ethernet the Synology RT2600AC is what I have and according to Smallnetbuilder.com it should be able to support Gigabit Internet. Thats really the key, just because a router has Gigabit ports doesn't mean it can support Gigabit Internet speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Dropndestroy213 said:

Thanks for your help

This one is currently on a deal for a 3 pack today. 

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-eero-mesh-WiFi-system-3-pack-/dp/B07WMLPSRL/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=QQSZPUZF2MQK&dchild=1&keywords=eero+mesh+wifi+system&qid=1592772523&sprefix=eero+mesh+%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExR05OWVFZNjQ3VlNOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzE3NDQ2M1JMNERVRjBKUDFHVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTQzMTU1MUJCMU1HTDQ0WEdHUiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I personally would suggest this non-mesh one since it works perfect in my home:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-R6700-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00R2AZLD2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=netgear+r6400v2&qid=1592772547&sr=8-1

If you want an ethernet outlet in another room then something like this could also work:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV600-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=33TMGALIE1MH3&dchild=1&keywords=powerline+ethernet+adapter&qid=1592772593&sprefix=powerline+e%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-3

You should only do mesh if you have no other option.

If possible you are better off having multiple routers or access points with ethernet cables in between if one doesn't have enough range.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Is your FIOS delivered via Ethernet to your router or Coax? Only ask because I know they do use Coax when TV service is in play. 

If its Ethernet the Synology RT2600AC is what I have and according to Smallnetbuilder.com it should be able to support Gigabit Internet. Thats really the key, just because a router has Gigabit ports doesn't mean it can support Gigabit Internet speeds. 

I have a fiber line coming from outside to the modem then ethernet to the router..

I'm a check out the router you recommend.

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

You should only do mesh if you have no other option.

If possible you are better off having multiple routers or access points with ethernet cables in between if one doesn't have enough range.

Awesome thanks for that advice

22 minutes ago, Dropndestroy213 said:

Do you guys think Wifi 6 routers are worth looking into.

The standard is not finalized as yet, so what is being sold now be completely different than what will be released within a year or so. WiFi 6e will support an additional band, 6GHz, and maybe a few more optimizations. And that's just the access point side! WiFi 6, in its current form, is still only supported on a few client-side devices.