Noctua NH-D15S

Daddy Dave

Yes, I do have a  Noctua NH-D15S. I know that most air cooling people get fired up whenever people talk about Noctua's because they love the brand, but I honestly don't know if I like it. I don't even know if it is doing the job properly. I honestly see it as a fan that is just spinning as all other fans are. Can someone explain to me why this is so hyped up? Am I supposed to overclock my CPU so that I can see the true power of this Noctua fan? What makes it so special you all? 

Here is my build by the way 

3 minutes ago, Daddy Dave said:

What makes it so special you all?

It moves air from here to there, and does so quietly.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

It's supposed to be less noisy than others, and their bearings supposedly last forever.

The only noctua product I have is a set of rubber fan screws. I really wanna try an nh u12a, but it's almost as expensive as my custom loop was.. I can't comment about what makes noctua heatsinks amazing, but I know stuff about fans.

The nf a12x25 is very rigid, allowing for a narrow gap between the frame and the blades, and the blades have teeth on the trailing edge ==> less noise.

I found that blacknoise noiseblocker eloops implement these design points with more confidence, and those are cheaper so I got those. Unfortunately they don't make cpu coolers.

16 hours ago, Daddy Dave said:

What makes it so special you all? 

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

Half of the people don’t know why they like Noctua so much. Maybe their first taste of a quality part? 3/4 of the replies are all regurgitated responses. They do make a quiet fan, but it’s not the strongest, or even the quietest. Their mounting system is ok, but it’s nothing special. It’s no easier to install than a 212 evo. The cooler itself is huge, and blocks ram. So it’s inconvenient and expensive. They are nice coolers, but they haven’t been the best for a few years now. I am curious how the D16 will pan out, but I won’t hold my breath.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Noctua D15(s) are not the most powerful heatsink, but it has the best performance to noise ratio.

A12x25 and A14 are the only Noctua fans worth buying IMO. 

Thermalright Ty-147ASQ is pretty much the same as Noctua A14 but with garbage bearing.

Thermalright Ty-147B is the same as Ty-147A but with FDB. It is supposed to be the successor of Ty-147A, but it produces clicking sound when mounted horizontally for some reason,.

If you want best performing heatsink with stock fan and don't care about the noise, then buy Thermalright IB-E Extreme (or whatever it's called).  

However, it is extremely loud at full speed, and the temperature is only 2~3C lower than D15.

If you want to run those fan(Ty-143) under 1500rpm, just buy D15(s). It is quieter and easier to install.

Scythe Fuma 2 is pretty soild, too.

Review of Assassin III, NH-D15(S), U12A, CNPS20X, Le Grand Macho RT, A500, R1 Ultimate, MasterAir MA620M :

The Best High-End Air Cooler - 2020 Edition

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

I do have my TY-147 A and B mounted horizontally and both are quiet. TY-143 has the potential to be loud, but at the same rpm sound like TY-147A. Of course that changes after 1500rpm or so. The silver arrow is a great cooler, but Le Grand Macho RT also shares the same TDP. True Spirit 140 Power has the highest TDP in the lineup and is only 50 bucks.

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

I do have my TY-147 A and B mounted horizontally and both are quiet. TY-143 has the potential to be loud, but at the same rpm sound like TY-147A. Of course that changes after 1500rpm or so. The silver arrow is a great cooler, but Le Grand Macho RT also shares the same TDP. True Spirit 140 Power has the highest TDP in the lineup and is only 50 bucks.

I'm pretty curious about the performance of True Spirit 140 Power. 

It has 6x8mm heatpipes, but the heatpipe arrangement and the fin surface area look pretty suboptimal.

How is True Spirit 140 Power compared to IB-E Extreme and Le Grand Macho RT?

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

I can’t speak for the silver arrow as I don’t own it, but my TS140P is nearly identical with LGMRT. I know of someone else who saw better temps with TS140P over his LGMRT, so I chaulk it up to the coldplate at that point. I do prefer LGMRT from a performance standpoint, but I am constantly experimenting with my case and fans, and it is hard to work around it’s size. If I would just leave things alone I would still be using it. With the dense fin pack of TS140P, TY-143 works a little harder and revs to about 2550. With LGMRT it will rev to 2600. One good thing about LGMRT is you can use it passively up to 90w tdp. I’ve tried on my 3770K at 4ghz on an open bench and it was just fine. 

Their mounting system is one of the best mounting systems out there.  Can easily be installed just as easily while the motherboard is in a case (as long as you have an open cutout) as outside of the case.  It just works.  Apply mounting bracket through the 4 holes, apply the four black washer spacers, apply the aluminum mounts on top for your socket, screw down with the four thumbscrews, done.  Only thing left is heatsink/paste and screwdown, which is probably the hardest part.

Anyone who has dealt with some of Thermalright's questionable mounting brackets in the past can appreciate this.  Or anyone who has tried to install an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360's socket bracket....

You are probably thinking of the mount for the true. I’m not going to argue on that. Their new mounts are better. Really easy to mount once it’s all set up. The ones I hear with the most complaints are Zalman and be quiet. Installing a D14/15 is no harder than a 212. Very similar actually.

On 6/19/2020 at 2:35 PM, Falkentyne said:

Their mounting system is one of the best mounting systems out there.  Can easily be installed just as easily while the motherboard is in a case (as long as you have an open cutout) as outside of the case.  It just works.  Apply mounting bracket through the 4 holes, apply the four black washer spacers, apply the aluminum mounts on top for your socket, screw down with the four thumbscrews, done.  Only thing left is heatsink/paste and screwdown, which is probably the hardest part.

Anyone who has dealt with some of Thermalright's questionable mounting brackets in the past can appreciate this.  Or anyone who has tried to install an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360's socket bracket....

Was there something special I was supposed to do when mounting my noctua cooler? I just put thermal paste, let it sit as I screwed in the thing into the board. I would say the only tricky thing was the suspension mechanism on it. You had to screw one screw than the other then back to the screw over and over again. 

So I installed my noctua two years ago and I am very underwhelmed. All I did was plug in the cooler into the CPU fan spot on my motherboard and it started spinning. Is that all? Was that what the noctua hype is about? Am I doing something wrong? 

If anyone can answer me this question: Was I supposed to overclock my CPU to take full advantage of the Noctua Cooler? Does the Noctua fan also adjust to the CPU temps? (PS Noctua fans probably do adjust to the CPU temps but I am nooby so I have to ask.)

Here is my build 

What CPU temperatures are you getting?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Every fan is controlled by temperatures.

It's not the fan that decides that, it's the motherboard and BIOS/UEFI.

And about the other questions,

What the f*ck?! 🤪

Just now, Eighjan said:

What CPU temperatures are you getting?

My PC graphics card is currently dead, but I am getting a new one soon. Once I get my PC up and running I will inform you on my temps. Also, whenever people ask for my temps are they asking for my temps with a stock CPU (no overclock) ? If you could explain further that would be nice :) 

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Every fan is controlled by temperatures.

It's not the fan that decides that, it's the motherboard and BIOS/UEFI.

And about the other questions,

What?! 🤪

Haha I was thinking that whenever I submitted this post. I know that the cooler itself doesn't do it lol. What do you mean and about the other question lol. Again I am nooby please do not get mad..

If you get and install HWiNFO64, that will give you access to all/any info anyone may need.

1 minute ago, Daddy Dave said:

What do you mean and about the other question lol

Noctua coolers - well any after market cooler - is better than the Intel stock solution; that said, what were your expectations that seem not to have been met?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Daddy Dave said:

Haha I was thinking that whenever I submitted this post. I know that the cooler itself doesn't do it lol. What do you mean and about the other question lol

I'm just confused af by your questions.

Did you think it would spray magical rainbow dust all over your components?

It's a slab of metal with a fan on it.

If you overclock is your choice. Your cooler can certainly handle it.

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

If you get and install HWiNFO64, that will give you access to all/any info anyone may need.

I promise to get you a screen shot of the application whenever I get my PC fixed. Also, (since you seem very informed on this topic lol) could you explain air cooling vs water cooling? What are the main pros and cons.

I promise to get you a screen shot of the application whenever I get my PC fixed. Also, (since you seem very informed on this topic lol) could you explain air cooling vs water cooling? What are the main pros and cons.

AIr cooling is more reliable and coolers like the nh-d15 match up to 280mm aios.

Watercooling has theoretically better heat transfer and looks better.

4 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Noctua coolers - well any after market cooler - is better than the Intel stock solution; that said, what were your expectations that seem not to have been met?

I guess I was just underwhelmed by the flashy coool colors of the liquid cooler compared to my slab of metal. Could you explain to me what makes them different? Essentially the main differences between air cooling vs liquid cooling. 

1 minute ago, gloop said:

AIr cooling is more reliable and coolers like the nh-d15 match up to 280mm aios.

Watercooling has theoretically better heat transfer and looks better.

dammit gloop I know that they look a lot better. Give me positives about my cooler compared to the flashy liquid cooler please. 

What are the main pros and cons.

Mainly the hardware... a stack of fins (air) or a radiator pumping liquid - like a car - (water/liquid).

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Daddy Dave said:

dammit gloop I know that they look a lot better. Give me positives about my cooler compared to the flashy liquid cooler please. 

More reliable, quieter, much better value, need an expensive ($170+) watercooler to get better temps.

If the machine is gonna stay put/not be moved around a lot - AIR; otherwise liquid may be a wiser choice, but more expensive.

WHY NOT...?!