Fiio E10K for DT 990 Pros

johnsoner13
Go to solution Solved by rice guru,
9 minutes ago, johnsoner13 said:

Thanks, you've been super helpful. Last question: since my 3.5mm jacks on my PC don't work (there's just a loud buzzing noise and no sound comes through when my headphones are plugged in) will the amp work plugged into my blue yeti's headphone jack which is connected to my PC via usb?

it should.. would be an awkward setup but yeah that should work

Hi, I’m thinking of buying a pair of DT 990 Pros (250 ohm). I have an MSI B450 Tomahawk mobo and pretty sure that won’t be able to power these sufficiently. Will the Fiio E10K be good to get these loud enough? I don’t like to blast sound so nothing crazy loud.

Why don't you just buy the 80ohm version?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The Fiio E10K is a pretty stout little box, it should be plenty to drive some 990 Pros.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

The e10k is kinda lacking in the amp department it can sort of drive them but at high gain and almost max out the pot with little headroom..its only a little bit more power than. Your motherboard tbh. I would get a fx audio dac x6 instead or run an amp like a monoprice liquid spark or magni3 + off your motherboard.

2 hours ago, johnsoner13 said:

Hi, I’m thinking of buying a pair of DT 990 Pros (250 ohm). I have an MSI B450 Tomahawk mobo and pretty sure that won’t be able to power these sufficiently. Will the Fiio E10K be good to get these loud enough? I don’t like to blast sound so nothing crazy loud.

Not enough. Oh but maybe...no.

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

The e10k is kinda lacking in the amp department it can sort of drive them but at high gain and almost max out the pot with little headroom..its only a little bit more power than. Your motherboard tbh. I would get a fx audio dac x6 instead or run an amp like a monoprice liquid spark or magni3 + off your motherboard.

What about the Schiit Fulla 3? What’s the difference between that and the magni 3+? Are they both USB? My headphone jack doesn’t work (current headphones plugged into my blue yeti rn)

4 hours ago, johnsoner13 said:

What about the Schiit Fulla 3? What’s the difference between that and the magni 3+? Are they both USB? My headphone jack doesn’t work (current headphones plugged into my blue yeti rn)

The schiit fulla 3 is a less powerful dac/amp thre magni is just an amp no dac. Personally I don't think the fulla sounds very good so I tend to avoid reccomending it but many think it sounds great.

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

The schiit fulla 3 is a less powerful dac/amp thre magni is just an amp no dac. Personally I don't think the fulla sounds very good so I tend to avoid reccomending it but many think it sounds great.

Because they haven't heard any better I suppose. Actually, even if they did, you need a certain amount of time with cheaper stuff to really appreciate when you come across something worthy of praise.

On 6/17/2020 at 1:20 AM, rice guru said:

So for the magni I can plug in my DT 990s through the 3.5 jack but then I’d need to buy separate cables to connect the magni to the 3.5 jack on my PC?

9 hours ago, rice guru said:

Yeah like a $8 3.5mm to rca adapter 

Thanks, you've been super helpful. Last question: since my 3.5mm jacks on my PC don't work (there's just a loud buzzing noise and no sound comes through when my headphones are plugged in) will the amp work plugged into my blue yeti's headphone jack which is connected to my PC via usb?

9 minutes ago, johnsoner13 said:

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

Thanks a ton, I'll go with the magni 3+ then

3 minutes ago, johnsoner13 said:

Thanks a ton, I'll go with the magni 3+ then

though if you need a cheap dac the meizu hd pro cheap small impressive for the price thhhough they seem to be sold out of the pro model everywhere 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000131474402.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.1d1c63ff71U2WM

Got myself a Fiio K5 Pro (AMP+DAC) recently after looking for an amp + dac stack or combo for a while and I'm really happy with it. 

Paired it with my HD 58X Jubilees and it drives them with ease.

Seems to get slightly recommended over the Magni+Modi stack and is a bit lower in price. 

For me it also takes up less space on my desk, which is great.:)

15 minutes ago, u4ea said:

Got myself a Fiio K5 Pro (AMP+DAC) recently after looking for an amp + dac stack or combo for a while and I'm really happy with it. 

Paired it with my HD 58X Jubilees and it drives them with ease.

Seems to get slightly recommended over the Magni+Modi stack and is a bit lower in price. 

For me it also takes up less space on my desk, which is great.:)

the k5 pro to me sounds better than the modi magni 3 stack  but give one of the new magnis a better dac than the modi its much better

I was actually about to bite the bullet on the magni 3+ but then found out about the sound blasterx g6. It looks good, any thoughts?

2 hours ago, johnsoner13 said:

I was actually about to bite the bullet on the magni 3+ but then found out about the sound blasterx g6. It looks good, any thoughts?

should power the 250 ohm 990 not as powerful as a magni but better than a e10k . personally not a fan but should work fine has some useful features like virtual surround sound and has a mic in

5 hours ago, johnsoner13 said:

You can get the Asgard 3 for a bit more if you want a single ended power house.

7 hours ago, johnsoner13 said:

Sound blaster g6 is pretty good actually. It is portable and has got many features in the sound blaster command software. Also you said something about plugging in it to your blue yeti? The g6 has a usb to your pc.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

32 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Sound blaster g6 is pretty good actually. It is portable and has got many features in the sound blaster command software. Also you said something about plugging in it to your blue yeti? The g6 has a usb to your pc.

Yes, that’s why I started looking at the g6, because of its usb. My headphone jacks on my PC don’t work and I wouldve had to plug the magni into my yeti’s 3.5 mm jack unless I got an external dac which I didn’t want to do. But thanks, I think I’m gonna get the g6.

11 minutes ago, johnsoner13 said:

Yes, that’s why I started looking at the g6, because of its usb. My headphone jacks on my PC don’t work and I wouldve had to plug the magni into my yeti’s 3.5 mm jack unless I got an external dac which I didn’t want to do. But thanks, I think I’m gonna get the g6.

Nice choice.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

1 hour ago, johnsoner13 said:

Me personally I got the soundblaster ae-9. A pretty high end consumer pcie soundcard. And the g6 offers pretty good sound quality compared to it. Probably not a better amp in the g6 but the dac quality is there. Also the surround feature is amazing for competetive play in like call of duty or something. 

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

44 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Me personally I got the soundblaster ae-9. A pretty high end consumer pcie soundcard. And the g6 offers pretty good sound quality compared to it. Probably not a better amp in the g6 but the dac quality is there. Also the surround feature is amazing for competetive play in like call of duty or something. 

Yeah i was looking at that but unfortunately it’s miles out of my price range haha

Just now, johnsoner13 said:

Yeah i was looking at that but unfortunately it’s miles out of my price range haha

No worries. The g6 will do you just fine.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit