No beeps, no signal, I have breadboarded

Go to solution Solved by MrVic87,

Update: Picked up a fx8320 and a 990fxa-ud3 mobo, installed them and I finally got a signal!!! Now installing drivers! I guess the fx6350 chip was the reason why my system could not operate.

I want to thank each and every poster that took the time to share their knowledge and advice in helping me get my system up and running.

Final build:

Amd fx8320

Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 mobo

Evga gtx 760

Crucial Ballistic sport 4gb (2 x 2gb)

Evga 600w psu

Cooler master haf 912

I built a pc for the first time about a month ago. At the time it had the following specs:

AMD FX6350 3.9Ghz

GA-970A-UD3P mobo

Gigabyte GT 630 2gb graphics card (overclocked to 795ghz)

Crucial Ballistics Sport Memory 4gb (2x2gb) on dual channel

Corsair 500w modular psu

Seagate 500gb HDD

HP CD/DVD RW ODD

1080p Vizio HDTV or a regular 17" monitor (as a backup)

Zalman Z9 case

The pc was working beautifully. I was playing videos, played a few games, and optimize settings for most of them, until I came across Battlefield 4. I could not optimize the settings for tha game. So I decided to upgrade my card to an EVGA GTX760. Prior to installing the card, I uninstalled the display drivers for the GT630. Once I installed GTX760 and powered up, a message appeared on the monitor that said "Please connect the PCI connectors that came with your card." I did plug the 8 pin to PCI, but not the 6 pin. So I plugged the 6 pin, which has a molex end, to other molex fans (wrong move I know), to the Corsair psu. Powered up, and a smell like something was fried happened. I turned off the system immediately, waited about an hour then powered up, everything was working (fans, lights, etc) but no signal or display. Powered down, turned it on again, till it could not power on anymore. I believed my psu was fried. 

I went to pc store to pick up a new mobo (same as above), aftermarket cooling (Zalman cnps9900 MAX), case, and a new psu (EVGA Bronze+ 600w). Installed everything with the correct connections, powered on, and yet no signal no beeps. Fans, lights, ODD and HDD appeared to be working, mobo was getting power. But nothing. So I went to Toms hardware to get some answers. I breadboarded, using both graphics cards, and yet no change. I disassembled my system and started completely over. Installed everything back in, and again, no beeps, no signal. I tried it on my monitor/TV using VGA cables with GT630, nothing. Tried HDMI with TV, nothing. Tried HDMI and VGA with DVI adapter to GTX760 (doesn't have a VGA port), nothing. I just don't have a clue as to why I am not getting any response with my system. I had enough parts to rebuild an older system (not with any of the components to new system) and when I powered that on using monitor and VGA cable, it worked! I got the beeps, BIOS, and everything. That gave me hope that I knew what I was doing. But my new system, no luck.

I came across this site watching one of the Youtube videos on pcs in the hope that someone out there can help or give me advice on what to do next. I am guessing I ruined my CPU chip since that's the only part I have not replaced, but yet I don't know. I know the GT630 card works, but have not confirmed if the GTX 760 works, only by the fans working when I power up.

Final build as of this thread:

AMD FX6350 3.9Ghz

GA-970A-UD3P mobo

EVGA GTX760 2gb graphics card

Zalman CNPS9900 MAX cooler (aluminum)

Crucial Ballistics Sport Memory 4gb (2x2gb) on dual channel

EVGA Bronze+ 600w psu

Seagate 500gb HDD

HP CD/DVD RW ODD

1080p Vizio HDTV or a regular 17" monitor (as a backup)

CoolerMaster HAF 912

Anyone with feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

CPU Amd fx-8320 MOBO Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 RAM Crucial Ballistic sport 4gb GPU Evga gtx 760 CASE Cooler master haf 912 STORAGE Seagate 500gb PSU Evga 600w DISPLAY Vizio 42" COOLING Pending KEYBOARD Logitech Wireless MOUSE Logitech G500  

Anyone?? :unsure: :(

CPU Amd fx-8320 MOBO Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 RAM Crucial Ballistic sport 4gb GPU Evga gtx 760 CASE Cooler master haf 912 STORAGE Seagate 500gb PSU Evga 600w DISPLAY Vizio 42" COOLING Pending KEYBOARD Logitech Wireless MOUSE Logitech G500  

hhmmm. there seems to be words on this page. 

Not sure. looks like you might be boned. the text was a bit difficult of understand. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

hhmmm. there seems to be words on this page. 

Not sure. looks like you might be boned. the text was a bit difficult of understand. 

Which parts are confusing? I want to help make it clear in any way I can.

Which parts are confusing? I want to help make it clear in any way I can.

a message appeared on the screen that said "Please connect the PCI connectors that came with your card" I did plug the 8 pin to PCI, but not the 6 pin. So I plugged the 6 pin, which has a molex end, to other molex fans

pictures would help. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Obviously the board doesn't POST, try asking at a PC shop if they lend you a fitting CPU. 

But I have a similar problem as @Jaybird, don't know what you mean by that. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

For future reference, deleting drivers is not the way to do things. One must uninstall the entire set. Simplest way of doing this is using Windows Add/Remove Programs (Program Features).

Do I understand correctly that every hardware component is new?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

pictures would help. 

At the time, I didn't get to take a snap shot of that. When I first installed the GTX 760, and powered up the system, that messaged appeared on my monitor. Instead of the normal system start up. 

"Please connect the PCI connector that came with the card

I didn't have the 6pin connected to the gtx760 when that occured. That was the only time it popped up. 

At the time, I didn't get to take a snap shot of that. When I first installed the GTX 760, and powered up the system, that messaged appeared on my monitor. Instead of the normal system start up. 

"Please connect the PCI connector that came with the card

I didn't have the 6pin connected to the gtx760 when that occured. That was the only time it popped up. 

we dont much care about the text your monitor is displaying. we want to see the pictures of these pci connectors. or pictures of your rig. anything that is or will be help ful to use dignosing your situation. 

Edit: you card should have only in the box: a card, warrenty and installation papers, driver disk, a case badge, foam, and cardboard. 

@MrVic87 welcome to the forum

is this computer not posting right now?  ie does it boot.

if not

try with no gpu and 1 ram stick. no graphics card

pretty much follow these steps and report back

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/42440-readme-how-to-respond-to-a-no-post-or-no-power-up-situation/

Edited by ross06187

Obviously the board doesn't POST, try asking at a PC shop if they lend you a fitting CPU. 

But I have a similar problem as @Jaybird, don't know what you mean by that. 

I exchanged the board for a newer one, but I truly hope you're right. I plan on taking it back and get a ASRock 990 FX or a Gigabyte GA990FXA-UD3 Friday. I just wanted to get any input from this community before I did.

For future reference, deleting drivers is not the way to do things. One must uninstall the entire set. Simplest way of doing this is using Windows Add/Remove Programs (Program Features).

Do I understand correctly that every hardware component is new?

I did it by following a youtube vid from a poster that seemed to know what he was doing. I did it by Control Panel>System>Device Manager>Display adapters>Right click and uninstalled. 

And yes every hardware is new, with my cpu chip being about a month old

well you said you had a bunch of old parts just use the process of elimination and swap out part one by one.And try the old video card.

we dont much care about the text your monitor is displaying. we want to see the pictures of these pci connectors. or pictures of your rig. anything that is or will be help ful to use dignosing your situation. 

Edit: you card should have only in the box: a card, warrenty and installation papers, driver disk, a case badge, foam, and cardboard. 

Ok, that I can do. I can supply pictures when I get home. I didn't know you can upload any on here. And yes that is me. I've asked for help there, tom's hardware, and now here, looking for answers before I spend any more money that I don't really need to. 

I was only being as detailed as possible instead of having anyone ask me questions I can easily answer. 

well you said you had a bunch of old parts just use the process of elimination and swap out part one by one.And try the old video card.

I had an old system I took apart prior to building my rig. I rebuilt it more so out of confidence and being precise in what I was doing. But the parts im having problems with are all new parts.

@MrVic87 welcome to the forum

is this computer not posting right now?  ie does it boot.

if not

try with no gpu and 1 ram stick. no graphics card

pretty much follow these steps and report back

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/42440-readme-how-to-respond-to-a-no-post-or-no-power-up-situation/

Ross thank you!

I think thats what's called breadboarding? I did exactly that, I used one stick for each slot, then two, then no gpu installed. I tried everything from a similar check list you linked. I read that prior to posting on here.  It does not boot at all. No beeps. No signal.

okay take it out of the case, all of it! get your motherboard on a non conductive surface connect Cpu, hard drive, 1 ram stick, PSU if you don't have internal graphics also plug in GPU, then power it on.

you said you got a new psu and motherboard so the other suspects are cpu, and hardrive. can't be ram because you have two sticks i believe and tested each on separately  and the chance of them both failing isn't too likely.

My theory is that you might have fried your old motherboard along with cpu, either with static from your body (it happens) or the six pin you forgot to plug in touched something just a maybe.

i would find someone with a spare cpu just to test or buy an inexpensive one and abuse the return policy,

also let's not act like you might have not fried the gpu (or it was defected) either BUT if your motherboard has internal graphics you can rule that out so you can test without gpu the better.

because in reality rig was working fine you put it new gpu rig no longer work

ALSO i am not saying it's the gpu just possibility.

actually i looked it up it doesn't have onboard video, so you have three suspects cpu,gpu,hdd

what happened to your old GPU?

He tried with both GPU's, and neither would post.

Try disconnecting everything, just leave one stick of RAM, the CPU, and the GPU connected.

You didn't try plugging in the 6 pin while the computer was on, did you? Just making sure.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Also make sure to disconnect the fans that you had plugged into the molex. Maybe one of those burned and shorted out.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Ross thank you!

I think thats what's called breadboarding? I did exactly that, I used one stick for each slot, then two, then no gpu installed. I tried everything from a similar check list you linked. I read that prior to posting on here.  It does not boot at all. No beeps. No signal.

its ether the board or the cpu then unless all your ram is bad.  to be safe do a power supply test

i tough you had on board graphics, if not then you could have fries the gpu, but probably no the new and the old so thats less likely

Edited by ross06187

OK here are my pictures. I am uploading from my tablet. Forgive my cable management.

post-62106-0-44468500-1393463778.jpg

post-62106-0-39302600-1393463807.jpg

post-62106-0-78108400-1393463835.jpg

post-62106-0-35964300-1393463848.jpg

post-62106-0-28535000-1393463887.jpg

post-62106-0-57669900-1393464259.jpg

post-62106-0-55361100-1393464274.jpg

okay take it out of the case, all of it! get your motherboard on a non conductive surface connect Cpu, hard drive, 1 ram stick, PSU if you don't have internal graphics also plug in GPU, then power it on.

you said you got a new psu and motherboard so the other suspects are cpu, and hardrive. can't be ram because you have two sticks i believe and tested each on separately and the chance of them both failing isn't too likely.

My theory is that you might have fried your old motherboard along with cpu, either with static from your body (it happens) or the six pin you forgot to plug in touched something just a maybe.

i would find someone with a spare cpu just to test or buy an inexpensive one and abuse the return policy,

also let's not act like you might have not fried the gpu (or it was defected) either BUT if your motherboard has internal graphics you can rule that out so you can test without gpu the better.

because in reality rig was working fine you put it new gpu rig no longer work

actually i looked it up it doesn't have onboard video, so you have three suspects cpu,gpu,hdd

what happened to your old GPU?

I will try your method. No it doesn't have on board graphics. I used my old gpu and same problem. And Im not too sure if the gtx760 fully functions like it should. I did use a wrist strap before i touched anything.

Im slowly coming to grips that the chip may have fried with the motherboard as well. That and the sticks are the only parts that i havent replaced.

He tried with both GPU's, and neither would post.

Try disconnecting everything, just leave one stick of RAM, the CPU, and the GPU connected.

You didn't try plugging in the 6 pin while the computer was on, did you? Just making sure.

I already tried tried this as well. And no I wouldn't dare plug anything while the PC is on.

its ether the board or the cpu then unless all your ram is bad. to be safe do a power supply test

i tough you had on board graphics, if not then you could have fries the gpu, but probably no the new and the old so thats less likely

I hope it isn't the new GPU. The fried smell happened when I connected the 6pin molex with the two system fans with a molex ends and not directly to the psu. That lead to my old corsair dying on me.

I exchanged the board for a newer one, but I truly hope you're right. I plan on taking it back and get a ASRock 990 FX or a Gigabyte GA990FXA-UD3 Friday. I just wanted to get any input from this community before I did.

I did it by following a youtube vid from a poster that seemed to know what he was doing. I did it by Control Panel>System>Device Manager>Display adapters>Right click and uninstalled. 

And yes every hardware is new, with my cpu chip being about a month old

Youtube is a great resource but it is always a good idea to get confirmation from multiple sources. I usually start with the manufacturer's web site. http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

The problem with using Device Manager to uninstall drivers is that it only uninstalls the actual driver files. It does not necessarily uninstall everything that was installed, registry entries for example.

Are there any status led on the motherboard? If so, with nothing installed on the board and just the two power lines connected does any led light when the psu switch on the back of the unit is turned on?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

OK here are my pictures. I am uploading from my tablet. Forgive my cable management.

From the pictures it looks like you have only plugged in one molex connectors in the 2 molex to pce power adapter on the gpu.  both are need to get full 4 phase power to the graphics card.

On third last pic it looks like one of the PCIe power connectors has two plugs. Like it should. So be sure that both PCIe powercables you connect say that they are for GPU. So remove the braided one and use another end of cable next to it. Also if your PSU is modular, make sure that you connect right connectors into PSU and not use those ends on components.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv