PC accidentally received 12-24V through USB, motherboard dead, repairable?

Hey guys, so I did a stupid thing and killed my PC. Long story short, I accidentally put 12-24V through USB thanks to wiring up a project wrong.

PC instantly turned off and wont turn back on, I haven't checked other parts (transplanting everything into my old build today) but I can safely say my motherboard is dead... When it receives power no board LEDs light up, apart from one light on the RGB IO shroud that flashes briefly for a fraction of a second. Tested with my old power supply and nothing..

My question is, if I send the board off for repair (either by sending it to Asus or a repair shop) would they be able to fix it or is it just e-waste at this point? Given that the same board is now £70 more than when I brought it last year I am willing to pay a bit to get it fixed if needs be...

Oh I should mention its an ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E

AMD 6800XT, Ryzen 7 5800X, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4, Corsair H100i, ROG Strix X570-ENZXT s340 Elite

18 minutes ago, volrath said:

My question is, if I send the board off for repair (either by sending it to Asus or a repair shop) would they be able to fix it or is it just e-waste at this point? Given that the same board is now £70 more than when I brought it last year I am willing to pay a bit to get it fixed if needs be...

Everything is fixable, but the amount of work needed to do so will cost far more than your £70.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, curiousgamer121 said:

Can you tell me how you did it so I don't do this?

Adding a laser module to my CNC router and didn't realise the connector from the mainboard to the laser daughterboard was PWM, connected it to a power supply sent a signal and boom... Stupid error caused by being over tired, never do projects at 4am lol

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Everything is fixable, but the amount of work needed to do so will cost far more than your £70.

I should have said cost of new board, I paid £220 new and a quick look on Amazon has them at around £280-£299.

8 minutes ago, _DeXTeR_ said:

Not worth fixing if you do not have warranty, you can always play on card I do not know what happened.

I did just look and it is under warranty, but as it will be obvious that it was caused by user stupidity I dunno if they would cover it... Haven't looked to be honest...

AMD 6800XT, Ryzen 7 5800X, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4, Corsair H100i, ROG Strix X570-ENZXT s340 Elite

The CPU is most likely also fucked if it was running. Card could have survived, no idea about ram and storage but they're also at risk

2 minutes ago, volrath said:

I should have said cost of new board, I paid £220 new and a quick look on Amazon has them at around £280-£299.

That doesn't really change the point, though. They'd have to trace, test and replace pretty much every component on the mobo and then test everything, which is a lot of manual labor and manual labor isn't cheap. I doubt you'd get off any cheaper than just buying a whole new mobo.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The CPU is most likely also fucked if it was running. Card could have survived, no idea about ram and storage but they're also at risk

Yeah, Im thinking that might be the case. Sadly I got no way of testing that part until I have a known working 1151 mobo

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That doesn't really change the point, though. They'd have to trace, test and replace pretty much every component on the mobo and then test everything, which is a lot of manual labor and manual labor isn't cheap. I doubt you'd get off any cheaper than just buying a whole new mobo.

And yeah your probs right, just grasping at straws here because I just fucked a lot of hardware through stupidity...

7 minutes ago, volrath said:

Yeah, Im thinking that might be the case. Sadly I got no way of testing that part until I have a known working 1151 mobo

And yeah your probs right, just grasping at straws here because I just fucked a lot of hardware through stupidity...

RMA the CPU and test the rest. The board should be junked as a whole

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yeah I will, was hoping someone might have a better solution/ more hopeful outlook... Kinda knew the second it happened I just made a very expensive and stupid mistake...

10 minutes ago, volrath said:

Yeah I will, was hoping someone might have a better solution/ more hopeful outlook... Kinda knew the second it happened I just made a very expensive and stupid mistake...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but on the flip side, time for an upgrade to Zen 3 in two months 😁

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but on the flip side, time for an upgrade to Zen 3 in two months 😁

LMAO, yeah true... was hoping my big PC spend this year would be new GPU when 3000 series rolls around (I alternate year by year), looks like that might have to wait lol...

55 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Rma my ass. This was user error, why should the mfg have to eat this cost when this was caused by the consumer? 
Rma on the cpu would be fraud, it’s not a mfg defect that killed it. I can’t stand people that do this kind of stuff 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Nothing good hapends after 2am always go to bed at 2am :)

GOod luck