Plex Hardware Acceleration

For Plex hardware acceleration, does it make sense to get an Intel CPU with quicksync AND a GPU to do hardware acceleration? 

10 minutes ago, hbsterling said:

For Plex hardware acceleration, does it make sense to get an Intel CPU with quicksync AND a GPU to do hardware acceleration? 

Why would you want both?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How many streams do you need at once? A single gpu will do a lot of streams already.

Normally pick one or the other. 

Maybe 2 4k streams. If I could get away with just the cpu it would save space and money for getting a gpu.

1 minute ago, hbsterling said:

Maybe 2 4k streams. If I could get away with just the cpu it would save space and money for getting a gpu.

What system specs?

That should be easily doable with a higher end cpu with software or basically any modern hardware encoder

Also Id try to get your 4k media in a way that can be direct played, so no transcoding is needed

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What system specs?

That should be easily doable with a higher end cpu with software or basically any modern hardware encoder

Also Id try to get your 4k media in a way that can be direct played, so no transcoding is needed

I was thinking of building a NAS for Plex or buying a QNAP and was trying to figure out if getting the i3-9100F would be a better path than using the QNAP J4125

2 minutes ago, hbsterling said:

I was thinking of building a NAS for Plex or buying a QNAP and was trying to figure out if getting the i3-9100F would be a better path than using the QNAP J4125

What hardware encoding does the qnap say it has?

Id really try to make it so you don't have to transcode to 4k, its just a lot of overhead you don't need.

Do you want the ease of use of a qnap? Thats the big decision.

The 9100f seems like a bad option, you want a igpu here, and might as well get 10th gen.

On 6/14/2020 at 12:41 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

How many streams do you need at once? A single gpu will do a lot of streams already.

Normally pick one or the other. 

I think Nvidia locks gaming cards to two streams. Though I have heard that Intel iGPU's can do quite a few 1080 streams. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

20 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I think Nvidia locks gaming cards to two streams.

NVIDIA recently raised the limit to three, but you can also unlock unlimited streams (as long as the hardware itself can actually handle them) by patching the drivers. I use that patch myself.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

There's no noticeable quality difference between QuickSync on gen 6+ CPUs and NVENC. Plex will always prefer QuickSync even if you have a Nvidia card added. QuickSync can do more transcodes in general. Finally don't transcode 4k because it ruins the quality, create a separate 4k library for direct play/streams and a 1080p library for clients that can't do 4k. It's easier than messing with the headache that is 4k transcoding.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I think Nvidia locks gaming cards to two streams. Though I have heard that Intel iGPU's can do quite a few 1080 streams. 

I think with the limited card you can still effectually have more clients that streams the gpu can process. The gpu will do faster than realtime, and fill the buffer, then switches to a different stream.

9 hours ago, 2FA said:

There's no noticeable quality difference between QuickSync on gen 6+ CPUs and NVENC.

That depends. 6th Gen still used 500 series Intel graphics (Version 5 Quicksync), 600 series (630 HD / Version 6 Quicksync) is when the broad support for HEVC (H265/VP9) and 10th Gen for VP9-10bit/ HDR-10 (Version 7 Quicksync) was introduced. Theres also a quality difference between 10th Gen and 7th-9th Gen with the latest QuickSync. 

Now is a good time to be supporting HEVC (H265). A lot of content these days is being released as HEVC because of its excellent compression, especially in the way of colors. Files are about a third of the size compared to the old H264. Many shows are being converted in 1080p H265 these days which take up half the space of 720p H264....most of my library consists of H265. 

9 hours ago, 2FA said:

Plex will always prefer QuickSync even if you have a Nvidia card added. QuickSync can do more transcodes in general. Finally don't transcode 4k because it ruins the quality, create a separate 4k library for direct play/streams and a 1080p library for clients that can't do 4k. It's easier than messing with the headache that is 4k transcoding.

Agree its definately good to split your library with 4K vs non-4K content....doing this he can either not share the 4K library with people remote, or can also utilise tautulli scripts to block users from trying to transcode content from the 4K library, and only allow direct stream (if he has the bandwidth).

But if he uses a modern 7th Gen+ or especially 10th Gen CPU he should be able to handle a couple of 4K transcodes without to much issue....not everyone wants to double up on all their 4K content. My 10th Gen Nvidia transcodes 4K no issue, so I don't bother splitting my Plex library.

Heres what a 4K transcode to 720p looks like on a 10 series card...approx 10% GPU Utilization & 1GB GPU Memory

image.png.5153f768550fd886b0be5a19641e5238.png

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 6/14/2020 at 1:07 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

What hardware encoding does the qnap say it has?

Id really try to make it so you don't have to transcode to 4k, its just a lot of overhead you don't need.

Do you want the ease of use of a qnap? Thats the big decision.

The 9100f seems like a bad option, you want a igpu here, and might as well get 10th gen.

QNAP has the Intel Celeron Gemini Lake J4125, would that cpu with quicksync even be able to playback a 4k uhd stream?

1 hour ago, hbsterling said:

QNAP has the Intel Celeron Gemini Lake J4125, would that cpu with quicksync even be able to playback a 4k uhd stream?

Im pretty sure its supports 4k encoding on that chip, but can't confirm. It can decode 4k for sure. But depends on codec.

3 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Heres what a 4K transcode to 720p looks like on a 10 series card...approx 10% GPU Utilization & 1GB GPU Memory

image.png.5153f768550fd886b0be5a19641e5238.png

Would you mind showing us the actual enc/dec usage? You can do so with nvidia-smi dmon -s u

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

3 hours ago, igormp said:

Would you mind showing us the actual enc/dec usage? You can do so with nvidia-smi dmon -s u

transcoding 4K to 720p (2Mbps)

Occasional jumps to 60-70% on nvdec..it really starts to hit the fan though if I transcode it to 240p.

image.png.bad1659e13bc4ae5538fb70a4d1298f9.png

image.png.49584f70bd5ef3aa6eeba9e4c6b283c8.png

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA