Is the FX 8350 gonna slow me down?

Go to solution Solved by AMICLG,

For a budget build the 8350 will be perfect.

Hi guys!

So I am thinking of buying myself a new CPU and mobo, and the CPU I have in mind is the FX 8350. I have seen a lot of benchmarks and comments about it, compared to intel CPUs and so on, but most of those benchmarks were done in games, and since I am NOT going to be gaming a lot on it, I really wanted to know how is it gonna perform in everyday tasks like browsing the web, opening files, loading Windows etc. compared to some heavy intel CPUs like 4770k.

Basically I want to know is there gonna be any difference in those everyday trasks between the AMD's eight core and intel's most recommended CPU?

you will be fine the 4770k is only going to help you if your going to be editing 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Will be fine, for the price difference atleast.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

For a budget build the 8350 will be perfect.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

For non gaming things AMD is great. Performance rivals the i7 at a much lower price. However there is little difference between the 8350 and the 8320 except price so you might want to consider the alternative.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

For normal office-type usage, anything from a modern celeron/pentium and up is more than enough for a smooth experience. Anything more powerful shouldn't make much of a noticeable difference.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Why are you going for such an expensive processor for something designed just to browse the web? You'd get almost the same snappiness in one of AMD's quad/hex-core processors as you would with the octa-core. (Hell, a dual core could do the job. That's what I use)

Anything more is just vanity and isn't going to benefit the build in any noticeable way (unless you want more than 100fps in powerpoint/word  :lol:).

//ccap

Since you aren't gonna game on it, why don't you save up to get a 8320?

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Thank you all for responding and helping with my decision. I will definitely consider the FX 8320.

For normal office-type usage, anything from a modern celeron/pentium and up is more than enough for a smooth experience. Anything more powerful shouldn't make much of a noticeable difference.

I dont want to get into details, but I need an eight core CPU. I was inquiring about the office-file opening-web browsing performance, but that is not all I will be doing.

an 8350 should be fine for pretty much anything

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Hi guys!

So I am thinking of buying myself a new CPU and mobo, and the CPU I have in mind is the FX 8350. I have seen a lot of benchmarks and comments about it, compared to intel CPUs and so on, but most of those benchmarks were done in games, and since I am NOT going to be gaming a lot on it, I really wanted to know how is it gonna perform in everyday tasks like browsing the web, opening files, loading Windows etc. compared to some heavy intel CPUs like 4770k.

Basically I want to know is there gonna be any difference in those everyday trasks between the AMD's eight core and intel's most recommended CPU?

For browsing the web and stuff I'd say you're going pretty overkill. Why not get a i3 or something and a silent cooler and take advantage of Integrated Graphics, with an SSD I doubt you'll notice the difference.

Thank you all for responding and helping with my decision. I will definitely consider the FX 8320.

I dont want to get into details, but I need an eight core CPU. I was inquiring about the office-file opening-web browsing performance, but that is not all I will be doing.

If you want some relevant help, it would help to describe what else you might be doing.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

an SSD will make a bigger difference for general use than a powerful cpu.  so if you're not already planning on an SSD I'd recommend saving some money on the cpu and mobo and putting it towards an SSD

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I really thank you for your effort guys, but I never really said my CPU can be of the cheapest kind, and that I am going to be only browsing the web. In the work I want to do, I need an eight core or hyper threaded four core. My doubt was should I go for i7 or much cheaper piledriver. They will both do for me, I just wanted to know will the price difference between them reflect the other stuff I will normally do on my PC. I also plan to do some occasional gaming, but it will not be a gaming PC, and I will certainly not be running all the latest titles and expect them to run max settings on 60fps.

I'd most defiantly grab the 8320 in your place.

Definitely?

The FX-8320 is actually a better CPU for what you want. It performs almost on par with the FX-8350 at a much lower price.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Definitely?

The FX-8320 is actually a better CPU for what you want. It performs almost on par with the FX-8350 at a much lower price.

and auto correct has begun to plague LTT lol.

oh man... i3 or fx 6300 for normal/heavy multitasking operations. 8350 is a waste of power in a normal computer.

for browsing and other domestic activities, single thread performance is sadly still the king.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

I am guessing you are doing something with VMware? Some Virtual Machine software.