[CODE RED] Stephan Elop to head entire Xbox division

Ebenesh

I don't think you guys see just how far they are from dying. Their business and enterprise divisions can keep them afloat alone. Not until that is threatened is Microsoft even vulnerable.

they are making bad decisions all around, this is just the most noticeable.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Ep9_TrainWreck.jpg

I give it a year. honestly

I see...  Because: Train wreck.

I see... Because: Train wreck.

yes... Because: Reasons

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

And this is bad why. It will be good for PC if XBox fails. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

LOL that is the dude that said that Nokia wll never use any other OS besides it's own Symbian while company was nosediving.. The most shortsighted leader I ever seen.. God bye Xbox

I don't think you guys see just how far they are from dying. Their business and enterprise divisions can keep them afloat alone. Not until that is threatened is Microsoft even vulnerable.

Yes but we are talking about a man who singlehandedly drove NOKIA from absolute world leader in cell phone manufacturing with most trusted name down to a laughing stock of the industry. I would not get past his that he did it to devalue the company so Microsoft can acquire it on the cheap. I would not trust him to flush a toilet, let alone run a company.

It boggles my mind that anybody ever considered them "being so good": Yes they got pretty big but it was never cause they were good.

Why have released a ton of great things. The Xbox 360 was great when it was released, Windows 7 was/is great, Office, MSE, DirectX and the list goes on. Just a few examples of products that were or are still better than their alternatives (of they even existed).

I can't think of a single good product they have released in the last few years. That's what I meant.

That's true, a more accurate statement would be they could be dying in the consumer arena

-------

Current Rig

-------

Why have released a ton of great things. The Xbox 360 was great when it was released, Windows 7 was/is great, Office, MSE, DirectX and the list goes on. Just a few examples of products that were or are still better than their alternatives (of they even existed).

I can't think of a single good product they have released in the last few years. That's what I meant.

Windows XP was, at the time, unparalleled as an OS. Xbox was more powerful and easier to work with than the PlayStation 2, and the Xbox 360 (in spite of the hardware errors) brought along a completely new attitude towards playing games both by yourself and with friends online.

Microsoft have made brilliant things. The problem is that for the last couple of years they've not been like their former selves - the Surface line was a half-assed mess of conflicting hardware and software, the Xbox One has a lot of issues, Windows Phone is a complete joke and Windows 8 was marketed and advertised in the most horrific way possible. It's actually a great OS, but Microsoft's inability to allow customers to acclimatise to it in time led to a lot of criticism and customers stubbornly refusing to move on from Windows 7.

As for Mr. Elop, this is evidently quite worrying. Xbox is very important for Microsoft, and not just financially - it's tied quite strongly with most of their technologies and features (Bing, DirectX, Windows NT Kernel etc) which makes it difficult, maybe even impossible to simply sell off at any point. Hopefully this guy will do a good job at strengthening Xbox (perhaps he'll finally convince them to sell a cheaper Kinect-less version?), but only time will tell.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Yes but we are talking about a man who singlehandedly drove NOKIA from absolute world leader in cell phone manufacturing with most trusted name down to a laughing stock of the industry. I would not get past his that he did it to devalue the company so Microsoft can acquire it on the cheap. I would not trust him to flush a toilet, let alone run a company.

Nope, the iPhone did that a few years before he even joined Nokia. I mean he accelerated their decline for sure, but after Symbian Nokia just didn't gave a fuck about software and hence, they were overthrown by guys who did like Apple and Google.

-------

Current Rig

-------

There was... Wait nope nevermind ;)

I don't mind Windows 8.1, don't care for metro ui so use classic shell from ninite but other than that it's alteast better than Vista.

Isn't this guy far from being qualified to run the xbox division. He only knows about phones and that even questionable.

Oh it is!

I think he also got a pretty big pay out when the Nokia/Microsoft deal was finalized too. Something like 20+ million.

Yeah! Go positive encouragement!

There's a pretty big conspiracy theory going around that Elop was sent over to Nokia TO sink it, so that Microsoft could move in and make a take over bid.

Look what they did...it's pretty compelling. Also the fact that he didn't sell his home in Seattle, or take his family with him when he moved to a "permanent new position" is a little strange.

I love me a conspiracy :D