260 watt power supply.

ShaheerWasTaken
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,
9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

5.08V and 5.08Vsb???

"Hey boss, we can't quite get the voltage regulation tight on the 5V. It's a little high. Do you want us to make some design changes?"
"No. I've got a better idea..."

They intentionally configure the voltage a bit higher, to account for losses due to using thinner wires on the power supply.

It's not a problem, the atx standard says acceptable voltage is 5v +/-5%, so anything between 4.75v and 5.25v will be acceptable without any issues by all components in your computer.

To the original poster, the power supply can provide up to 216 watts on 12v, which is the voltage used by the more power hungry components like processor and video card.

Besides these two, fans consume around 1-2 watts each, mechanical drives consume around 5 watts each from 12v. SSD drives typically consume only 5v

So currently your computer consumes about this much

i5-2400  -  maybe 50w average, let's say reserve 65w

motherboard - maybe 5-10w on 12v, the rest on 3.3v and 5v to power chipset, audio chip, network card 

8gb ram  - probably powered from 5v of your power supply, but less than 5w either way.

gtx 1050 2gb - under 75w, probably are 60 watts

500 gb drive - 5w on 12

ssd - 2-4 watts from 5v, nothing from 12v

another drive - another 5w

let's add 5 watts for cpu fan and some case fan

So you're looking at 65w cpu + 10w mb + 75w gpu + 10w hdd + 5w (fans) = 165 watts on 12v .... you have 216w on 12v , so there's still around 50 watts you can use.

If you remove the video card, without video card your system will consume around 100 watts, so you're left with up to 116w ... but you should not go over 100 watts, leave some room ...

So you have some choices at less than 100w or near 100w

GTX 1660 Super = 8W/110W
GTX 1650 = 8W/80W
GTX 1650 Super = 8W/95W

GTX1050Ti = 6W/75W
GTX1050 = 6W/75W

Hello friends! My power supply is 260 watts. Right now I have an i5-2400 and a gtx 1050 2gb. Is my power supply enough? Can I get a 1650 4gb with the same voltage. Am I losing fps with such a low power supply. Bye friends.

What the heck kind of power supply do you have? A 260 watt? Haven’t seen anything of that wattage in years, no I would not upgrade a gpu without upgrading that psu to at least something viable.

7 minutes ago, ShaheerLikesGames said:

Hello friends! My power supply is 260 watts. Right now I have an i5-2400 and a gtx 1050 2gb. Is my power supply enough? Can I get a 1650 4gb with the same voltage. Am I losing fps with such a low power supply. Bye friends.

It's enough.

2 minutes ago, IC4 said:

What the heck kind of power supply do you have? A 260 watt? Haven’t seen anything of that wattage in years, no I would not upgrade a gpu without upgrading that psu to start least something viable.

Seems like an OEM PSU, those are usually made by delta which is really decent. 

Just now, ShaheerLikesGames said:

umm ok

What brand ? 

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

I would not suggest the Gpu upgrade without a power supply upgrade. no you would not lose fps, but it might not work at all.

2 minutes ago, IC4 said:

What the heck kind of power supply do you have? A 260 watt? Haven’t seen anything of that wattage in years, no I would not upgrade a gpu without upgrading that psu to at least something viable.

prob. oem

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

3 minutes ago, IC4 said:

More than likely a pre-built. They love to cheap out on the powersupply and only put in the bare minimum.

If you want to upgrade the GPU, I'd suggest upgrading the PSU as well, just to be sure.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Jae Tee said:

I would not suggest the Gpu upgrade without a power supply upgrade. no you would not lose fps, but it might not work at all.

prob. oem

But im running a gtx 1050 2gb right now and it works fine. It uses the same voltage as the low profile 1650 4gb.

umm ok

And sorry I didn’t answer all of your question, no you can’t lose fps with a power supply. But it can blow up if it doesn’t have proper safety’s on it. A 260 I’m assuming nowadays is super old because none of the major manufactures I know sell those things on there main line ups. So yes it would be smart to replace it.

3 hours ago, Void Master said:

It's enough.

Seems like an OEM PSU, those are usually made by delta which is really decent. 

What brand ? 

image2.jpg?width=508&height=677

3 hours ago, IC4 said:

And sorry I didn’t answer all of your question, no you can’t lose fps with a power supply. But it can blow up if it doesn’t have proper safety’s on it. A 260 I’m assuming nowadays is super old because none of the major manufactures I know sell those things on there main line ups. So yes it would be smart to replace it.

I get what your saying, i guess ill go for the power supply upgrade first. 

7 minutes ago, ShaheerLikesGames said:

What do you mean by voltage? If you mean wattage than no, it's to little. And you aren't loosing fps no worries. A power supply only supplies power as the name says.

4 minutes ago, ShaheerLikesGames said:

Am I losing fps with such a low power supply.

No. Power supplies don't have anything to do with the FPS you get in games.

The 1650 and 1050 have similar power consumption. If the 1050 is working then the 1650 shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you don't get a card that requires an additional 6/8pin PCIe power connector.

1 minute ago, IC4 said:

A lot of prebuilt PCs come with 250-350W PSUs. They're perfect for the system as it's sold and they're not really meant to be upgraded. It's also common for them to use SFF PCs and slim PCs requiring smaller PSUs where it's harder/more costly to get higher wattage units. Besides, no point putting 500W+ PSUs in them because who sticks an RTX2080Ti in a Dell Optiplex office PC anyway?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

My pc is a prebuilt and I don't think I could change the power supply. I know about computers but if I be honest, Ive never actually touched one because im scared ill break something

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

The 1650 and 1050 have similar power consumption. If the 1050 is working then the 1650 shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you don't get a card that requires an additional 6/8pin PCIe power connector.

A lot of prebuilt PCs come with 250-350W PSUs. They're perfect for the system as it's sold and they're not really meant to be upgraded. It's also common for them to use SFF PCs and slim PCs requiring smaller PSUs where it's harder/more costly to get higher wattage units. Besides, no point putting 500W+ PSUs in them because who sticks an RTX2080Ti in a Dell Optiplex office PC anyway?

Ya im going to get one without the pins.

1 minute ago, ShaheerLikesGames said:

But im running a gtx 1050 2gb right now and it works fine. It uses the same voltage as the low profile 1650 4gb.

Just a precaution. Many people ask if a much better power supply would be enough and the answer is you don't need to over spend on a PSU. How ever you shouldn't go this low either.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

Ya but the 1650 low profile im going to buy is going to be my last upgrade. Then I'm starting high school and will probablly try to save up for a much much better pc.

image2.jpg?width=508&height=677

5.08V and 5.08Vsb???

"Hey boss, we can't quite get the voltage regulation tight on the 5V. It's a little high. Do you want us to make some design changes?"

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

My pc is a prebuilt and I don't think I could change the power supply.

I'm sure you can find something. many times a better pc of the same model will have a more powerfull psu that is the same size.

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

5.08V and 5.08Vsb???

Is my power supply rigged?

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I understand that, wasn’t thinking this is probably some old office pc. Because all of the prebuilts I’ve seen don’t use something like a lite on 260 watter lol. But I only look at “gaming” prebuilts so that’s probably why 

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

5.08V and 5.08Vsb???

LOL big meme

3 hours ago, IC4 said:

I understand that, wasn’t thinking this is probably some old office pc. Because all of the prebuilts I’ve seen don’t use something like a lite on 260 watter lol. But I only look at “gaming” prebuilts so that’s probably why 

Oh this is a lenovo pc its an old slim case like an optiplex. 
here are the specs

i5-2400

8gb ram

gtx 1050 2gb

260 watt power supply

500 gb drive

ssd

another drive

then i have like a mouse/keyboard/headset/monitor that cost more than my actual pc. :)

and a gaming chair. The money ive spent on this stuff is more than a good pc i could have got. idk why i did that. im regretting it all now

Oh this is a lenovo pc its an old slim case like an optiplex. 
here are the specs

i5-2400

8gb ram

gtx 1050 2gb

260 watt power supply

500 gb drive

ssd

another drive

then i have like a mouse/keyboard/headset/monitor that cost more than my actual pc. :)

Ya know, I understand if you’re on a budget but, if your peripherals cost more then the pc itself. Maybe it’s time for an upgrade a ryzen 3300x  and a 1650 super are a pretty solid pair. But I understand if you have no money to do so 

2 minutes ago, IC4 said:

Ya know, I understand if you’re on a budget but, if your peripherals cost more then the pc itself. Maybe it’s time for an upgrade a ryzen 3300x  and a 1650 super are a pretty solid pair. But I understand if you have no money to do so 

You can also salvage your hdd most likely and your ssd, get a case, ram, psu and cpu (3300x is  solid) (keep your 1050 until you can upgrade) that’s within the realm of 300 ish dollars unless you buy a new gpu. But I think you’d be more impressed with performance gains from doing that.