I recently inherited an old gaming rig, what can I do with it? intel i7 2600k

iggzor
19 hours ago, Vishera said:

both Nehalem and Westmere require extreme cooling to reach that clock speed.

I ran my X5675 at 4.45Ghz for a damn good while on a $20 Gammax 400. I can belt 1.45v through another X5675 on an NH-D15S (chunky air cooler, but by no means "extreme cooling") without breaking the mid 70s. 

19 hours ago, Vishera said:

The difference between Nehalem and Westmere to Sandy Bridge is big,

It has significantly higher IPC and a huge difference in overclocking capabilities,

Sandy Bridge can easily get to 4.5GHz on air,

I have an Ivy Bridge system, which is very similar to Sandy (little less OC headroom, slight IPC difference). I have Haswell and now Broadwell, all these chips will cap out before even a 1660 Ti in many games at 1080p because you seem to forget that 1080p144Hz is very common, and these chips (Ivy, Haswell, and Broadwell, all E variant HEDT chips at 4.2-4.5Ghz with 6 cores or more) will typically push up to around 110-120fps in something like Destiny 2 (one of the heavier titles but not as graphically heavy as Shadow of the Tomb Raider, or as single core intensive as something like ARMA III, nor as light as many common competitive games). I imagine they'd perform similarly in Apex or other titles like that, but I don't play that game much so I haven't personally tested it. Ofc in lighter titles they'd have no issues. 

But yes, even for how fucking excellent Sandy is, it will cap out at 1080p in a lot of games before a 1660 Ti or higher GPU will, since at that level the GPU can easily handle 1080p144 in a lot of titles, and older CPUs even at higher clocks, often struggle to break past 110-120, sometimes hitting 130. 

Back to my original quote without clipping the important context as you did in your reply: 

"1660 Super would be excellent (I have a 1660 Ti, same GPU performance wise). They handle 1080p even 144hz easily, your CPU will cap out before the GPU does in most games at 1080p. If you push beefier titles then a 2060/2060 Super could make sense, they also bring in RTX features if you care for those."

I specifically mentioned that these GPUs can handle even 1080p144 with ease, and that the CPU will cap out before the GPU does at 1080p in those games. But if you run heavier titles then a beefier card will be appropriate (and the CPU will not have any issues, something I assumed was implied by the way I stated it). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

@Zando Bob @Vishera @Bombastinator @TheDankKoosh

alright so i think i messed up. I finally pulled the trigger and got an RTX 2060 because i thought that my system could handle it.  I can't get it to boot at all with the new graphics card installed.  Do you guys think that my motherboard could be holding me back?  

Its an msi Z77A-G45.  https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z77AG45

Old GPU that still works perfectly fine - HIS Radeon HD 7850 2 GB IceQ Video Card

when i install the gpu and try to boot the computer all i get is B2 displayed in the bottom right corner and an otherwise black screen.  Its booted through to windows a couple of times but everything on the screen was smudged and not much was coming through at all. I had no control over things, i could just barely make out that it got to the password screen so i entered it and after that there was nothing legible coming through.  I've had the card for a week or two now and have tried multiple several hour working sessions to see what I could figure out and I'm at my wits end. I think the issue now is the motherboard.  I've clicked around on the site linked above and I just don't know how often this stuff gets updated on there. Could i do a bios update? I was about to but then chickened out because of a weird warning right before i did it.  Its just such an old rig that I'm not sure about anything anymore.  I've done a clean windows reinstall and still i get nothing.  The old video card is actually able to handle some modern titles such as GTAV , destiny 2, and Battlefield V (at low settings). The CPU is killer.  If I could only get this card to work I would be sooo happy! Do you have any recommendations/suggestions i could try??

At first i though it was because i was switching from AMD to nvidia so i reinstalled windows fresh with the card and that didn't do anything. Then i reinstalled windows with no GPU and just the motherboard plugged in to the monitor but it wont let me install nvidia drivers becuase it cant detect the card. And i cant get to a legible screen at all with the card plugged in and powered. 

It should work.  That it isn’t implies issues either with drivers, bios, win10, the motherboard, or the card.  Does the thing work with a different card?  If it’s the motherboard it could get ugly.  The board is even harder to find than the cpu and would be prohibitively expensive to replace unless you get lucky somehow.  If this is a continuation of an earlier thread about a 2600k my memory is it was running on the iGPU alone.  I kind of wonder now if maybe there was a reason :/  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 6/9/2020 at 2:47 AM, Vishera said:

It's in the micro-architecture,the first micro-architecture to leverage higher RAM speeds was Coffee Lake.

There is a benchmaek video about the matter with Kaby Lake,and there is little to no difference,and that was in the end of 2016:

I actually got pretty good performance gains by going to DDR3-2400 from DDR3-1600 on a Haswell Xeon E3-1231v3 in cpu bound games like GTA V and Fallout 4. As in easily reproducible minimums being 10% - 15% higher with the faster RAM. I remember Digital Foundry showing how much Haswell could benefit from fast RAM in many cpu bound games, which is why I upgraded mine.

2 hours ago, iggzor said:

alright so i think i messed up. I finally pulled the trigger and got an RTX 2060 because i thought that my system could handle it.  I can't get it to boot at all with the new graphics card installed.  Do you guys think that my motherboard could be holding me back?  

Old GPU that still works perfectly fine - HIS Radeon HD 7850 2 GB IceQ Video Card

when i install the gpu and try to boot the computer all i get is B2 displayed in the bottom right corner and an otherwise black screen.  Its booted through to windows a couple of times but everything on the screen was smudged and not much was coming through at all. I had no control over things, i could just barely make out that it got to the password screen so i entered it and after that there was nothing legible coming through.  I've had the card for a week or two now and have tried multiple several hour working sessions to see what I could figure out and I'm at my wits end. I think the issue now is the motherboard.  I've clicked around on the site linked above and I just don't know how often this stuff gets updated on there. Could i do a bios update? I was about to but then chickened out because of a weird warning right before i did it.  Its just such an old rig that I'm not sure about anything anymore.  I've done a clean windows reinstall and still i get nothing.  The old video card is actually able to handle some modern titles such as GTAV , destiny 2, and Battlefield V (at low settings). The CPU is killer.  If I could only get this card to work I would be sooo happy! Do you have any recommendations/suggestions i could try??

At first i though it was because i was switching from AMD to nvidia so i reinstalled windows fresh with the card and that didn't do anything. Then i reinstalled windows with no GPU and just the motherboard plugged in to the monitor but it wont let me install nvidia drivers becuase it cant detect the card. And i cant get to a legible screen at all with the card plugged in and powered. 

Maybe get in contact with the manufacturer of your card? I have some real concerns about that power supply (RAIDMAX is generally junk tier) but I don't know if that could be the issue. Especially considering RTX 2060 isn't that power hungry a card and especially not just going into Windows.

2 hours ago, iggzor said:

Updating the bios and making sure you have safe boot on should be your first steps, new cards are pretty finicky with old boards so you might have to look around for solutions.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS