Membrane Vs Mechanical: ROUND 2

brownninja97

Just bought a cm storm trigger with brown switches and I pretty sure that I will never go back, but this topic is more about personally preference, personally I like the tactile feedback that mechanical keyboards can give you.

My rig: i7 930 oc to 3.4 ghz, GA-X58A-UD3R, 6GB of ocz ram, antec nine hundred two, seasonic g 650, gigabyte 7970 OC, 120 GB Samsung 840, 1TB Seagate barracuda. Cm storm trigger mx browns and a steelseries sensei raw.

I bought a CM storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Browns) and absolutley loved it. However when disaster struck and the connection to my coputer became unreliable and it had to be sent back, I had to go back to a crappy MS 600 membrane keyboard.

It was terrible, and I hated pretty much everything about it. It felt like you were typing on sponge and the keys were odd shapes. One good thing was how impact proof it was; surviving every one of my rage moments.

Weeks past due to complications with my replacement of the CM keyboard and I was looking at buying another Mech as a stand in until the replacement arrived. Then one day I was in my parents loft where I found a really old beige keyboard using a PS2 connection. Still covered in dust I plugged it into the port on the back of my MoBo's PS2 connector ("I do still like to see these" - sound familiar) and it worked! Moreover typing on it feels very "mechy" as the keys definitely have some clunk to them. It's still definitely a membrane (I took it apart as one of the rubber things had gotten dislodged) but for whatever reason feels really nice.

Should get my CM back in the next couple of days and I can't wait to compare them.

(PS2 keyboard's model is an A4Tech KeyEasy, which I found 1 128x128 picture of on google)

cmstorm trigger was the worst for me out of anything i had ever used. May sound extreme but it was one of them "al helll naarr" situations. Its like your cross your legs one way and the other way is just wrong

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I have used a cheap membrane keyboard for years! For like 11 years lol. Since childhood, but when I bought a blue switched mechanical keyboard, the moment I used it ,  I was converted! haha, I knew I was destined to use mechanicals!

I7-2600k (back to stock lol) + Noctua NH-D14 | Asus GTX 560 DC | Asus P8Z68 V/GEN3 | G.Skill RipjawsX 1333 Mhz 2x4 GB

CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer | ThermalTake ToughPower Grand 750W | LG IPS237L | Razer BlackWidow 2013 | Razer Electra

[WD Caviar Blue 500 GB | Hitachi 260 GB | Seagate 120 GB | Toshiba 300 GB] <Generic mousepad & a wireless Logitech mouse T_T>

There should be a " I have never tried a mechanical" option

Intel i7 2600k 3.4GHz, 16GB corsair Vengeance, MSI Z77A-GD65 MOBO, MSI Radeon 7870 Hawk, Corsair TX750 PSU, Corsair H100i, Phantom 410,Samsung 250GB Pro  Seagate barracuda 1T.  

i think the biggest thing for me is the customization that you can do with mechanicals, you can solder on different switches, replace keycaps with everything from blank PBT to cast zinc, custom make frames, etc, these are not really things you can do with too many membrane keyboards, you are pretty much limited to what you get in the box

that limitation of having just another G15 makes membrane pretty meh

Mice have mechanical switches, albeit their own kind of mousey ones.

they use microswitches.

I've been wanting to create a keyboard with microswitches for a while now.

I might give it a shot once I get my 3d printer in.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

honestly how in the hell did i manage to start this. I was thinking one or two replies

well Linus tweeted about it :) and added a pole :D 

Membrane has one advantage that really screwed me up when I finally switched over to mechanical.

You can rapid activate the key by barely moving it when it's pressed down.

On a mechanical keyboard you have to bring the key up so it resets the mechanism then push it down again.  This results in more hand strain and less speed.

I don't really do that by habit anymore (it's been about half a year since I switched), though I miss the ability to.

Other than that, mechanical all the way.

Side note: G710+ has terrible build quality.  Shame that it's the closest to my old keyboard with a dedicated volume mute button.

I voted for mechanical because i really like how they feel but there are a few things to consider. As living in the more eastern side of Europe (Romania) where salaries are not like they are in the west, we perceive price differences a bit differently. Problem is i can see a big difference between a 100$ mechanical with no multimedia keys and a 90$ full multimedia membrane keyboard from someone like Logitech and i kinda lean towards the feature full membrane (i like and use the dedicated multimedia keys). I know there's the Corsair K90 (but that has way too many buttons and is considerably more expensive) and the G710+ which again is considerably more expensive. I know to some 50$ is not a big difference but for some of us 50$ means 10% of your 500$ monthly salary (and that is a very decent salary here). So don;t be harsh on people who may not understand why you would want to spend over 100$ dollars on a keyboard that has nothing special except the switches.

Mechanical is in every way better than a membrane aside from the price. I paid $130 for mine, and I would do it again; because it feels so good to type on, and the sound of blues is just... incredible.

I bought a mechanical keyboard last year, a Mionix Zibal 60, because I heard Linus mentioning it a couple of times and I'm quite satisfied with it. The first day I actually felt my fingers get tired after using it for a while. Now I got used to it and I like it. I noticed I can type faster but I do more mistakes, too, like accidentally switching two characters when typing fast. Also noticed it a lot louder than any membrane keyboard, which in itself isn't a big deal, girlfriend doesn't like it though :)

I have one problem with it though. It's a frickin' pain to get in the BIOS. It just doesn't react to the 'DEL' key, although I'm pressing it like crazy. I think it initializes itself a bit slower or something. I keep an old membrane USB keyboard handy for when I need to enter the BIOS :)

At work I got a Microsoft Wired 600 and I really like it because of the low profile keys and it's really silent.

Other than that I think if you give it enough time, you can get used to any keyboard, providing it doesn't suck. Like for example the build quality on the Arctic Cooling Arctic K381, which is just awful. At first glance it looks a little bit like an Apple keyboard, but it sure doesn't feel like one.

Got myself a IBM model M...and it is amazing so loud and clicky

I can't type on membrane keyboards anymore. I'm forced to use them at school and most of the time I don't hit the keys hard enough (mainly because I'm use to blues and mainly because all the keys stick on every keyboard in the school) or after a while my fingers get tired lol. I'll never go back

Yeah. Sucks 'eh?

Cacti, not cactuses. 

I was somewhat skeptical about mech KB's, I couldn't understand what the hoopla was over mechs. Heck, there is even a mech KB club section in a local tech forum I go to. Fortunately, the gaming and peripheral shop I go to has a variety of mech KB for me to try, so I fiddled with red, blue and brown switches........and after a while, I concluded that red suits me best. Within a month or so, I dove right in the deep end of the pool and bought three mech KB's for my three systems. Started out with a CM Storm Trigger red and loved it, bought a cheap Armaggeddon Black Hornet (uses Cherry Red switches) and last, but not least, a Ducky Shine II 78 Version which replaced the Storm Trigger as the KB of choice for my main rig. Hell, I have a cheap fourth rig, and I'm trying to talk myself into justifying a fourth mech KB for it......and I'm eyeing a Ducky YOTD Cherry Brown (IIRC) that I had seen in the shop. So, yeah, certified mech KB nut job  I am!  ^_^

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Mechanical all the way. Love the tactile and the sound produced by the Cherry MX Brown switches! :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Bought a Rosewill RK-9000 with blacks on sale, about 3 months ago and now whenever I go to work and have to type on a membrane it just feels awful. I'm going to buy a couple with blues for me and a pharmacist coming off of wrist surgery just so I can work in peace.

All my life I've been using membrane switches... I haven't tried mechanical bat I am interested in getting one.

Definitely do so. I didn't switch to mechanical until about a year ago and it took a few days to get use to it, but I was definitely pleased. Mechanical keyboard might be expensive, but it's kind of similar to monitors in the sense that  once you buy it, you will not need to buy another one for a really long time (unless you get a crappy one).

membrane is terrible on thin keyboards, the ones that are trying to immitate a laptop, membrane is not that bad on the thicker ones, the mechanical immitator keyboards with the large tall keys

PC : i7-3820 @ 4.3 GHz | Patriot Viper 3 Black Mamba 16 GB @ 2133MHz | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI Windforce 3X | Gigabyte X79-UD5 | OCZ Vector 128 GB (Died) | WD Black 1TB |  | Asus Xonar DGX | Antch P280 | Asus PA238QR & NEC PA271w | LG 1440x900 Monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry MX Brown) | Corsair M60 | Blue Snowball | Sennheiser HD 439 | IKEA Kitchen Table 

I would love to add my 2cents to this, but I have never had the pleasure of trying a mechanical keyboard, and all my gameing friends just have membrane keyboards. Buying one seems like an expsenive way to find out I might not like it, but one day I'll get one... One day...

And then you realize your shoes are filled with peanut butter, what then?! >:L

I can never go back to a membrane.. The keys require too much effort to depress and tires out my fingers really quickly.

I'm already planning for my next mechanical keyboard and has started saving up for it.

YES, they are that good.

Definitely do so. I didn't switch to mechanical until about a year ago and it took a few days to get use to it, but I was definitely pleased. Mechanical keyboard might be expensive, but it's kind of similar to monitors in the sense that  once you buy it, you will not need to buy another one for a really long time (unless you get a crappy one).

But when you start using mechanical keyboards, you will have the urge to try more :P

But when you start using mechanical keyboards, you will have the urge to try more :P

Oh, that's all so true! ;)  I got my first taste of mech with a CM Storm Trigger Cherry Red, got an Armaggeddon Black Hornet Cherry Red, and scored a hard to get Ducky Shine II 78 Version. Now, I'm thinking of replacing that Armaggeddon with a Ducky YOTD KB :wub: ....it never ends! :D

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Oh, that's all so true! ;)  I got my first taste of mech with a CM Storm Trigger Cherry Red, got an Armaggeddon Black Hornet Cherry Red, and scored a hard to get Ducky Shine II 78 Version. Now, I'm thinking of replacing that Armaggeddon with a Ducky YOTD KB :wub: ....it never ends! :D

I'm waiting for the full-black body Trigger to come out! It looks so pretty 'drools'