Just wanting to watch 4k 120hz from a PC to a computer.

Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
43 minutes ago, MarkMarkMark said:

ok. Well, no affordable streaming boxes are supporting 4k 120hz to play movies from a USB. (Or tell me if you know of one please) So I've decided to use my last years gaming rig to just use on the tv. (Samsung qn55q6draf) only hdmi ports. Ive got a 2070 zotac blower. Or I could use my 2070 msi) but I just want 4k 120hz and I'm going with my computer as it supports every codec and my tv usb doesn't. Is there any active adaptors from dp1.4 to usb 2.1? Is there a way to do this? I am a little behind on tech, but just seeing if there is solutions. And hi from Vancouver bc :)

According to Costco's website (because Samsung doesn't list the Refresh Rate on their own damn support website), your TV has a native refresh rate of 120Hz and has HDMI 2.0, so you'd just need a DisplayPort to HDMI cable to connect your video card output to your TV, no USB needed... That being said, if your TV only supports up to HDMI 2.0b, you might be limited to 60Hz, as I believe HDMI 2.1 is required for 120Hz 4K signals.

Also note that while all HDMI cables are electrically compatible with each other, there is a difference between cheaply made or off-brand cables, and ones capable of delivering the full 18Gbps throughput that HDMI 2.1 needs in order to display a higher refresh rate, HDR, or wide color gamuts. To be clear, please don't think you need to buy MonsterCable, or heaven forbid, AudioQuest Diamond HDMI cables, but also know that cheap cables can be bad.

https://gizmodo.com/you-are-probably-using-the-wrong-hdmi-cord-1826248383

Footnote: USB is NOT normally used for video signals. (Unless it's a Thunderbolt 3 cable over a USB Type C connector.)

ok. Well, no affordable streaming boxes are supporting 4k 120hz to play movies from a USB. (Or tell me if you know of one please) So I've decided to use my last years gaming rig to just use on the tv. (Samsung qn55q6draf) only hdmi ports. Ive got a 2070 zotac blower. Or I could use my 2070 msi) but I just want 4k 120hz and I'm going with my computer as it supports every codec and my tv usb doesn't. Is there any active adaptors from dp1.4 to usb 2.1? Is there a way to do this? I am a little behind on tech, but just seeing if there is solutions. And hi from Vancouver bc :) 

as long as your monitor supports it and you can find and download or stream it at that resolution, but I don't know what to say about the other things like codecs and stuff(not my expertise 

I am confused as to what you are asking, but only on the MSI 2070 is 4k 120 hz possible and that is through Display port, if your TV doesnt have display port then i will say its not possible since the hdmi from both your cards can only do 4K 60hz , i couldnt find anything on your TV that was useful in getting to 4k 120hz

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

43 minutes ago, MarkMarkMark said:

According to Costco's website (because Samsung doesn't list the Refresh Rate on their own damn support website), your TV has a native refresh rate of 120Hz and has HDMI 2.0, so you'd just need a DisplayPort to HDMI cable to connect your video card output to your TV, no USB needed... That being said, if your TV only supports up to HDMI 2.0b, you might be limited to 60Hz, as I believe HDMI 2.1 is required for 120Hz 4K signals.

Also note that while all HDMI cables are electrically compatible with each other, there is a difference between cheaply made or off-brand cables, and ones capable of delivering the full 18Gbps throughput that HDMI 2.1 needs in order to display a higher refresh rate, HDR, or wide color gamuts. To be clear, please don't think you need to buy MonsterCable, or heaven forbid, AudioQuest Diamond HDMI cables, but also know that cheap cables can be bad.

https://gizmodo.com/you-are-probably-using-the-wrong-hdmi-cord-1826248383

Footnote: USB is NOT normally used for video signals. (Unless it's a Thunderbolt 3 cable over a USB Type C connector.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 hours ago, MarkMarkMark said:

I don't know of any movie that is 120hz. Why do you need 120 hz for movies?

moves are in 24P or rarely 48p why would you think that 120hz will help?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Oops yes I had a typo with that usb2.1, suppose to be hdmi 2.1.

But thank you all for the replies. I have a better understanding of it now. I hope tvs start coming with display port in the future. 

22 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I don't know of any movie that is 120hz. Why do you need 120 hz for movies?

Ok. Maybe I'm totally wrong about this. But I've just upgraded from a 60hz 1080p. But you know on how some shows you see the frame rate feels more like a soap opera. Thats what im hoping to accomplish every chance thats available. My old TV never did that. But, always sunny and shameless are both on this TV in a faster motion. But those are the only codecs (hvac, xvid) the tv will read from usb. 1917 (4k fast motion) was beautiful. But, a lot of shows, movies, I can't see through the usb port because the way the .mp4 or .mkv was encoded :( so I was just like, why not just hook straight up to the tv via pc.

(But please correct me if I'm not understanding correctly)