WD 4TB Hard Drive Failing, what could this be?

MIU

Hi Guys, I'll try to give you as much detail as possible.
I Have this Western Digital Disk, from the Blue Brand, Code: WDC WD40EZRZ-00GXCB0, the one that at my understanding has the highest rate of failure.
It is a 4 TB Drive, and I had a bunch of data there, that luckily I was able to backup before what im going to explained happened to the disk.

This Disk had some logically corrupted sectors, I had some files trapped within those sectors, but I Managed to use a tool called Hdd Regenerator, version 1.71 to copy away the unreadeable sectors to a readeable zone, and after 3 or 4 attemps, because it wouldn't let me at the first two, to pull out my stucked files, I was able to pull the missing ones until there was no file left to backup.

Note that, BEFORE, using ANY formating tool, the disk was still able to copy files and read from sectors that wasn't damaged at normal speeds, for me this was 150 MB/s.
After using the first tool and aborting the operation because it would take a sh*t ton of time, the disk began giving me new slow sectors at every place I tried to scan it with Victoria, is a program to look at a specific sector and tell if it reads normal and fast or badly and slow. Suddenly  every zone I took was Slow.....
I Though, maybe is the head, but no clicking noise was there, it was like for some reason the read/write speed was taken down all the way to 240 KB/s.... Which is hella slow.

After that I tried HDAT2 and used wipe option  to zero it as originally intended with Aomei.... But.... The speed it brough was the previously mention, 240 KB/s. and by my calculations it would take about 5 and a half MONTHS, to format...

I will eventually try that and see if that end ups fixing or killing my drive, as I have no file there, I'll be experimenting on it, cuz at this point I hate that disk.

After that i Though, maybe if I use a Western Digital Program, it might fix it somewhat. 
First I tried their tool Data LifeGuard Diagnostic and used the Erase option with Quick Format, which formated the first 1000000 sectors from the begining of the disk and from the end. It took their fair 10 minutes, which is still long. Normally this will take 1 or 2 minutes. 
After that Windows was able to recognize it and I was able to write on those sectors at normal speeds, I did check their sector speed with victoria, but it told me those sectors were bad, I think it read it wrong.

Im begining to think, there may be something wrong with reading, and not writing, but then when I try to write zeros, it will do this slow down thingy.

So, I am now using Full Erase from WD Software, LifeGuard Diagnostic, and it doesn't tell me yet the stimated time, but i bet i will say 5 months and a half, at the time of the screenshot it says about 2 months and a half to fully erase the disk.

My fear is that after completing this operation the disk will be unreadeable, I think there might be something wrong with the head.

I also though about the PCB controllet but i think it wouldn't turn at all, would it?

If anyone has an idea of what could this be, I'll appretiate a lot your knowledge.

All because I tried zero-ing it with Aomei program.... but If i had to bet, it would happen with any program, even the original from WD. Is like, at the moment of Zero-ing something went wrong, and my disk wasn't the same after that.

When this was done I Though, well this might be just Logical Corruption, lets try filling the disk with zeroes and format it so that the magnetic thing goes back to normal.

I started using Aomei Partition Asistant to do the job, I left it runing for a time, not sure how long, maybe 3 days, and it was at 9,9% out of 100% formating completion.

Or is that 5 months and a half is a normal time for zero-ing a drive? I can't tell.
Another thing is that the disk will stick with the same sector is working for like  1 or 2 minutes and then change, The Sector Number I Mean.( Current Sector: 58650879 of 7814037167 (0.75%) )

For the corrupted sectors, it was something like this: Imagine this Line is the whole disk status and Lines or Minus is Okay Sector and Asteriscs are Bad Sectors

---*******------------------------------------------******************************----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More less it lood like that with the Regenerator program, and i had to pass up to 4 times that program to get out the middle sectors.
Up to that point it was reading normaly, the task took 1 day and a half which seemed reasonable.

Also full backup took a day and a half, which is almost the same as it is reading all used sectors, note that I wasn't using this disk capacity completely, I Had like 600 GB to spare. but yeah, 3 TB.

WinDlg_bXoIh0qBW3.png

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Seems like a dead hdd, just get a new one, there cheap. Why are you trying to fix a hdd? If

Because if somehow it still works, it has some value to me. Besides, I can still use it to experiment on it. Still won't be using it to store data on it.

Just now, MIU said:

Because if somehow it still works, it has some value to me. Besides, I can still use it to experiment on it. Still won't be using it to store data on it.

can you show the full smart data?

My guess is its just a bad drive, and there is really nothing you can do about it, I have a few drives in this state, and they normally get worse fast.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

can you show the full smart data?

My guess is its just a bad drive, and there is really nothing you can do about it, I have a few drives in this state, and they normally get worse fast.

Sure, here they are, first one is from victoria, it says is good, which is laughable, and might be wrong.
The other two are from HD Sentinel which says is critical.
I havent monitored my disks until this happened so I can't tell a previous state or smart.

What does the smart data tell you?

Victoria_fGGJRfsNEm.png

LaFNKAMGQP.png

o49n5NpklS.png

On 6/3/2020 at 10:47 AM, MIU said:

Sure, here they are, first one is from victoria, it says is good, which is laughable, and might be wrong.
The other two are from HD Sentinel which says is critical.
I havent monitored my disks until this happened so I can't tell a previous state or smart.

What does the smart data tell you?

yea tht hdd looks bd, pretty normal failure method. Somethinge zeoring the drive can help, try using dd, but this drive seems beyond repair.