FAKE OR GENUINE GTX 960 2gb?

Keenanzie

FAKE OR GENUINE GTX 960 2gb?

Need help to verify from you guys since the seller does not know how to use GPUZ.

The seller told me that this was removed from oem pc.

Thanks

aaa.PNG

JPEG_20200531_230855_1901699088083427236.jpg

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard
    Asus TUF GAMING b450M plus II
  • RAM
    32gb 3200Mhz Hyperx RGB
  • GPU
    Zotac Gaming GTX 1660 TI
  • Case
    SilverStone FARA R1
  • Storage
    256gb SAMSUNG 970 Evo Plus m.2 NVME SSD + 2tb HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA 500 BR
  • Display(s)
    24'' AOC 144hz IPS Panel
  • Cooling
    DEEPCOOL GTE V2
  • Keyboard
    CHERRY G80 3000
  • Mouse
    HYPERX Pulsefire FPS PRO
  • Sound
    SADA 2.1 Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Professional
  • Laptop
    ACER Nitro 5 i5 8300H + GTX 1650

Fakers would only use unbranded boards, and since that has ASUS branding on the back I'd have to say that it's genuine.

Even if it's OEM, I haven't seen a green PCB in a long time for a GPU. Usually OEM pre-builts still use more or less off the shelves GPUs. I don't know of any Asus 960 with anything other than a black PCB.

I'd be more interested in seeing the IO on that thing. If it has a D-Sub port and no display port, It's fake.

Btw, this is an Asus 960 Strix
ASUS GTX 960 STRIX DirectCU II Review - Closer Look
Notice how... It's a bit more "populated" on the back? Yeah....

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, demonix00 said:

Fakers would only use unbranded boards, and since that has ASUS branding on the back I'd have to say that it's genuine.

Scammers use all kinds of cards, including Asus. That's not an indicator of anything.
@Keenanziethe labels appear to be from a different card as they are barely holding onto the card. The label is from a real 960 but the PCB most likely is a 460 or 560

thanks for your help, guys

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32gb 3200Mhz Hyperx RGB
  • GPU
    Zotac Gaming GTX 1660 TI
  • Case
    SilverStone FARA R1
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 500 BR
  • Display(s)
    24'' AOC 144hz IPS Panel
  • Cooling
    DEEPCOOL GTE V2
  • Keyboard
    CHERRY G80 3000
  • Mouse
    HYPERX Pulsefire FPS PRO
  • Sound
    SADA 2.1 Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Professional
  • Laptop

... Is the fan zip tied on?

Fake or not I'd probably avoid that one.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

who makes a fake 960, aren't they worth like 100$ usually? wouldn't you fake something a little more expensive? Also if someone "doesn't know how to use gpuz" they probably don't own a graphics card :P

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Googled around - a green PCB 960 doesn't exist. This is fake. Report it and move on.

I'm pretty sure I've owned an OEM blower 960 with a green PCB. Very sure, actually, so they do exist.

That said, I don't think this is one of them. OEM cards don't ship with two of the four heatsink screws missing and the cooler held on by a freaking zip tie. Even if it is a real card, I would not in a million years buy a garbage heap like that.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

I'm pretty sure I've owned an OEM blower 960 with a green PCB. Very sure, actually, so they do exist.

That said, I don't think this is one of them. OEM cards don't ship with two of the four heatsink screws missing and the cooler held on by a freaking zip tie. Even if it is a real card, I would not in a million years buy a garbage heap like that.

It's definitely a black PCB on Asus/Acer and a blue one on Dell/HP prebuilts. I don't think green ones exist. You sure it wasn't blue or teal?

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It's definitely a black PCB on Asus/Acer and a blue one on Dell/HP prebuilts. I don't think green ones exist. You sure it wasn't blue or teal?

Yeah, positive. It was an OEM blower, I think HP. I used it in a sleeper PC for a couple of months before selling the whole thing off. The thing about OEM cards is that there's not a ton of consistency, and it's pretty common for Dell/HP/whoever to switch manufacturers and very little else if ASUS has a pile of PCBs that they'll sell for $1.00 less per board than what the prebuilt OEM is currently paying MSI for. HP does this more than anyone else, IIRC, and it's why they had about a trillion different product codes for the GTX 260 despite only a couple variations of the card existing.

Edit: Googled the P/N (the 90PA thing) and here we go

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

... Is the fan zip tied on?

Fake or not I'd probably avoid that one.

The more you look at it, the more things appear wrong. 

It's also missing about 5 screws and the 960 sticker is clearly covering something that's printed on the PCB. Another sticker has also been removed but some of the adhesive is left.

Also, why did they switch phones to take each picture?

Just now, aisle9 said:

Yeah, positive. It was an OEM blower, I think HP. I used it in a sleeper PC for a couple of months before selling the whole thing off. The thing about OEM cards is that there's not a ton of consistency, and it's pretty common for Dell/HP/whoever to switch manufacturers and very little else if ASUS has a pile of PCBs that they'll sell for $1.00 less per board than what the prebuilt OEM is currently paying MSI for. HP does this more than anyone else, IIRC, and it's why they had about a trillion different product codes for the GTX 260 despite only a couple variations of the card existing.

Hmmm, can you track it down? I'm honestly not finding anything about it. Only blue blower ones and black single-fan ones
HP Graphics Card - NVIDIA Gtx960 2gb (806965-001) for sale online ...

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Hmmm, can you track it down? I'm honestly not finding anything about it. Only blue blower ones and black single-fan ones

Yes, updated my post above to a 960 OEM where ASUS switched from black to green PCB during the run. Link

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Edit: Googled the P/N (the 90PA thing) and here we go

To be fair, the last picture in that post has a green PCB, though the part you linked is a different part number to the sticker in OP's post. The 90PA0710 also returns results for a R9 390 so it's kind of useless to search just from that.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

To be fair, the last picture in that post has a green PCB, though the part you linked is a different part number to the sticker in OP's post. The 90PA0710 also returns results for a R9 390 so it's kind of useless to search just from that.

I'm not saying this one's real. Even if it is, between the weirdness present on the PCB itself, the missing screws, the dodgy answers (don't know how to use GPU-Z lol), I wouldn't touch it with a 40-foot-pole.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Yes, updated my post above to a 960 OEM where ASUS switched from black to green PCB during the run. Link

That's a definite fake, though.

Just now, aisle9 said:

I'm not saying this one's real. Even if it is, between the weirdness present on the PCB itself, the missing screws, the dodgy answers (don't know how to use GPU-Z lol), I wouldn't touch it with a 40-foot-pole.

It's a tricky program!

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

That's a definite fake, though.

The one linked? Nah, I think it's real. Look at the placement of everything on the known-real 960 picture from Ascendtek, then look at the actual item picture. The only thing that's changed is the PCB color, and PCB color changes regularly anyway.

Just now, aisle9 said:

The one linked? Nah, I think it's real. Look at the placement of everything on the known-real 960 picture from Ascendtek, then look at the actual item picture. The only thing that's changed is the PCB color, and PCB color changes regularly anyway.

I meant the one in the OP :D

As for Asus - huh, that would be a rare model. I know they made a limited red version for Lenovo's Legion prebuilts and the Omens for HP but most were black (the ones in Dell/Acer/Asus prebuilts)

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

I meant the one in the OP :D

As for Asus - huh, that would be a rare model. I know they made a limited red version for Lenovo's Legion prebuilts and the Omens for HP but most were black (the ones in Dell/Acer/Asus prebuilts)

I think the one in the OP is real. I also think the original cooler was swapped out for some reason or another with the cooler from a non-reference GTX 960, so shit wasn't lining up and the seller just used zip-ties to keep it together. Points to the possibility that the card was dropped or something along those lines, and the seller is trying to offload it before it dies.

Again, janky enough that I wouldn't touch it.

Just now, aisle9 said:

I think the one in the OP is real. I also think the original cooler was swapped out for some reason or another with the cooler from a non-reference GTX 960, so shit wasn't lining up and the seller just used zip-ties to keep it together. Points to the possibility that the card was dropped or something along those lines, and the seller is trying to offload it before it dies.

Again, janky enough that I wouldn't touch it.

Oh, that's a 650 PCB I think. At least from what I can discern.

Thanks for your time guys. Much appreciated.

Anyways, the seller is offering me that card for only 40bucks.

I know the original fan/blower isnt there anymore but i guess it's still a good deal.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32gb 3200Mhz Hyperx RGB
  • GPU
    Zotac Gaming GTX 1660 TI
  • Case
    SilverStone FARA R1
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 500 BR
  • Display(s)
    24'' AOC 144hz IPS Panel
  • Cooling
    DEEPCOOL GTE V2
  • Keyboard
    CHERRY G80 3000
  • Mouse
    HYPERX Pulsefire FPS PRO
  • Sound
    SADA 2.1 Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Professional
  • Laptop

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Oh, that's a 650 PCB I think. At least from what I can discern.

Does the 650 have an SLI finger?