Desktops as Servers for virtualization

Trying to build my own server farm, but old servers are not available in my country and it's really hard to get good spec rack servers, so I'm thinking if it is logical to use consumer desktops for my virtualization projects (ovirt,openstack,ceph)

Thinking of

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

Motherboard: Need help

Ram: 4 x 16GB adata (total 64GB)

PSU: Need help

Case: Need help (Thinking of getting custom case)

Also should I get cooling? I believe the Ryzen 3900x already includes a fan I hope that is enough.

This is only for home and will turn off from time to time.

More of a practice bench for me.

For motherboard u can pick up: Gigabyte X570 AORUS EXTREME

PSU:idk

and u should be fine with stock cooler if u are not going to go intense on it.

20 minutes ago, Xyal said:

Trying to build my own server farm, but old servers are not available in my country and it's really hard to get good spec rack servers, so I'm thinking if it is logical to use consumer desktops for my virtualization projects (ovirt,openstack,ceph)

Thinking of

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

Motherboard: Need help

Ram: 4 x 16GB adata (total 64GB)

PSU: Need help

Case: Need help (Thinking of getting custom case)

Also should I get cooling? I believe the Ryzen 3900x already includes a fan I hope that is enough.

This is only for home and will turn off from time to time.

More of a practice bench for me.

You don't need a very special motherboard for this, just make sure to check that the VRM is good for the 3900X (Most BXXX motherboards are capable of running the 3900X to it's potential).

If your VM farm is running it hard, you might want to invest in a cooler. This is something easily replaceable later on. You'll also want a higher efficiency PSU for 24/7 operation, as it helps keep the bills down a little bit, and keeps the components cooler (making it a longer lasting solution.)

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Aside from certain features, for home use there isn't an overwhelming reason to need to acquire proper servers unless you need said features.

If you run them hard you'll probably want a better cooler than the stock one included.