Pixel buds. Horrific. Wow PLEASE DON'T BUY THESE.

blu3fan

This has been fun. and I felt like I needed to share to ward off others from this HORRIFIC experience....

I was so excited to receive my pixel buds 2. Waited 3 weeks for the backorder shipping and finally they shipped.

Put them in my ears. listened to music for a bit, everything seemed great.

Got up. walked into the next room. audio cut out as I moved...

Figured eh whatever, I'm in another room. it's like through a doorway. and they are small. "its fine."

went to bed shortly after this in prep for my morning 5 mile run.

Got up the next morning. Put on earbuds ran out the door. walking around the first few steps (phone in pocket) the buds began to cut out.

Music stopping and starting every 20 seconds for about 1 second.

As I ran further and further I realized any motion of my head would cause the buds to cut out.

I ended up sorta just looking straight ahead avoiding moving my head to keep the music playing..... Any motion causing the cutout as I entered larger open spaces...

About 20mins into the 40min run I gave up. put them in my pocket and ran home in silence.

Contacted support after doing full troubleshooting. (deinstall/reinstall) de-pair repair-  clear cache. firmware updates.. Everything I could think of.

Nothing fixed it.

Support suggested RMA- for another unit...

While I was pondering this return process, a call came in... I was sitting in my chair listening to music on the buds... so I went to answer it.

click...

click.. on the headset as I press harder on the button......

The headset bleeps as google assistant comes up. yet the call is still ringing??

I answer on the phone and try to switch to headset....

Not an option...

Speaker or Pixel 3xl top speaker. only options.

after the call I do some digging.

Found Tons of articles about calls not being supported on the pixel 3xl. and LOTS of other models....

but like... google phone... google pixel buds... you get where I am going here...

and this thread. a month old. with 170 people complaining. (you have to hit the arrow button to expand it)

https://support.google.com/googlepixelbuds/thread/43794726?hl=en

I could go on with reddit posts and further about these issues.

but I don't feel the need... as my review is probably all the info you need.

Buy another set of earbuds....

I decided against the RMA and My return is set for 6/10/2020. I doubt the issue will be resolved before then. but I never lose hope....

I gotta pay shipping both ways per google. But I guess I'm not out the full $194....

Maybe I can save others the headache and frustration.

I am the biggest Google fanboy, but I wouldn't buy their earbuds. Like, I'm sorry, but the pixel buds have nothing to offer over the jaybird Vista (my recommendation for you now).

Making truly wireless headphones isn't easy, and requires a lot of iterations. Let others buy the premature stuff.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 hour ago, Windows9 said:

Looks like this is another failed product they will completely dump support for in a month or two

Dang it 

I knew they were bad but I was still considering them as a neat cool tech later 

:(

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i feel like the pixel line's name has been sullied by numerous failed or just plain bad products

Their phones are solid 

Honestly I feel like if you want to get a phone that doesn't try to be what it's not 

The pixel lineup is amazing but their accessories sadly suck 

Bummer 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

i feel like the pixel line's name has been sullied by numerous failed or just plain bad products

Honestly I think that the cheaper pixel phones are better, not the more expensive ones

A guy asking and answering in his bedroom since he has nothing else to do

1 hour ago, George Vella said:

Honestly I think that the cheaper pixel phones are better, not the more expensive ones

Same here. Why buy a S20 ultra when an A20 does mostly the same thing

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

2 minutes ago, Windows9 said:

Same here. Why buy a S20 ultra when an A20 does mostly the same thing

Exactly, I own the J6, although I bought it 2 years ago it still works fine so I dont feel like updgrading.

6 minutes ago, George Vella said:

Exactly, I own the J6, although I bought it 2 years ago it still works fine so I dont feel like updgrading.

Yea I had a j7 prime I think it was called and in all honesty I didn't have the same experience 

Laggy as hell and its tft panel had some of the worse Color reproduction I have seen 

I then moved to pixel phones and I love it 

There is a point where it gets good enough but a 200 dollar phone like the j series from Samsung is just not good enough 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Removed to save space

My friend had the same problem with the J7 Prime, He hated it and he upgranded to the Pixel 3a now. I love my J6 but I know that not all cheap samsung phones work well. When I tried the J7 Prime for the lolz I also hated it but I still love my J6 years later. If I had to upgrade I'l buy a Pixel A or a galaxy A tho as I really like the way google is heading with their cheap phones, not with their expensive ones though

1 minute ago, George Vella said:

My friend had the same problem with the J7 Prime, He hated it and he upgranded to the Pixel 3a now. I love my J6 but I know that not all cheap samsung phones work well. When I tried the J7 Prime for the lolz I also hated it but I still love my J6 years later. If I had to upgrade I'l buy a Pixel A or a galaxy A tho as I really like the way google is heading with their cheap phones, not with their expensive ones though

Hmm yea 

Didn't know the problem was with the j7 prime only 

Weird

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Didn't know the problem was with the j7 prime only 

There were problems with different samsung phones, I'm just speaking of the J7 Prime since you mentioned it.