Steam games

Go to solution Solved by minibois,
5 minutes ago, Wellingtonzed said:

My question is this: im using several soundtracks from the old Command and Conquer series, will my upload to Steam be rejected since im using music that's not technically created by me? 

My initial thoughts is no since im not profiting from any of it. Maybe ill have to credit it. don't know. 

That is not how copyright works. 

Check if the music is in public domain, or has a certain copyright (like Creative Commons) on it that allow you to use it in non-commercial projects. Probably not.

if the C&C series copyright holder finds you're using those songs and the songs are copyrighted (in a way you can't use them for projects), they can definitely sue.

7 minutes ago, Wellingtonzed said:

im not profiting from any of it. 

You're not the the judge for that, neither is the C&C series owner. The judge will be, if they decide to sue you over it.

Plus, one could definitely argue you do profit from it.

Let's say 1000 people downloaded this game of yours. That is 1000 people that now know your name, game, etc. Those could be potential consumers of your next game, or could donate to you, etc.

The C&C series owner could definitely argue they are partially responsible for your game's success; because let's be honest: music is an important piece of a game.

Depending on how far they take it, they could sue for what they say their songs made you in money (indirectly).

So without even talking on if this is against Steam's TOS, you should think about copyright ramifications, which could be much worse.

Please do your research before using things you don't hold the copyright over.

Hi! 

So, im currently trying to learn the ins and outs of Unity. My purpose is to make a game. I've got a good idea of what the game is going to be, and will take many months to actually work on and finish. 

I was thinking of going through the trouble and putting it up on Steam if it meets my expectations, which it should. 

Obviously it'll be for free. 

My question is this: im using several soundtracks from the old Command and Conquer series, will my upload to Steam be rejected since im using music that's not technically created by me? 

My initial thoughts is no since im not profiting from any of it. Maybe ill have to credit it. don't know. 

id read the TOS/rules. Im sure steam has a page saying what you can and can't put in games. ID think they would have to have something like that right?]]

To be safe anything like that id try to keep it as copyright free as you can. at the worst you would get made to pull the music out idk if steam will beable to pick up that you have that. and idk if the owners will ever see it and care

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

5 minutes ago, Wellingtonzed said:

Check if the music is in public domain, or has a certain copyright (like Creative Commons) on it that allow you to use it in non-commercial projects. Probably not.

if the C&C series copyright holder finds you're using those songs and the songs are copyrighted (in a way you can't use them for projects), they can definitely sue.

7 minutes ago, Wellingtonzed said:

im not profiting from any of it. 

You're not the the judge for that, neither is the C&C series owner. The judge will be, if they decide to sue you over it.

Let's say 1000 people downloaded this game of yours. That is 1000 people that now know your name, game, etc. Those could be potential consumers of your next game, or could donate to you, etc.

The C&C series owner could definitely argue they are partially responsible for your game's success; because let's be honest: music is an important piece of a game.

Depending on how far they take it, they could sue for what they say their songs made you in money (indirectly).

So without even talking on if this is against Steam's TOS, you should think about copyright ramifications, which could be much worse.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

People sell like plush and other stuff of IP's that are coppyrighted and make money off it and are only told to stop. not to even give them any money.

this girl I have on facebook made a big post about how she sold baby yoda stuff online and got a cease and desist from Disney. buts thats all, she stopped so they didnt do anything she said she made over $2000 too. I really doubt anyone would try to sue this guy for money over this. I am willing to put money on that too. sure they CAN. but will they?  I think I can safely say he has a 99% chance that hes fine. 

Should he used copyright stuff no. its bad practice for if you ever do get big like big BIG. If you got big and years later that is found they are more likely to come after money as long as there is no statue of limitations on that (idk if there is) but as a kid just living and making a gaming using that asset I think you are fine.

Hell I even know of websites that use the logo and part of the name of other Huge companies and they have been running for years under the radar. same owner and all that. not just take downs then come up as a new "brand" again.

or you know have good opsec IRL and online and you can do anything and be fine lol

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

1 minute ago, blu4 said:

People sell like plush and other stuff of IP's that are coppyrighted and make money off it and are only told to stop. not to even give them any money.

this girl I have on facebook made a big post about how she sold baby yoda stuff online and got a cease and desist from Disney. buts thats all, she stopped so they didnt do anything she said she made over $2000 too. I really doubt anyone would try to sue this guy for money over this. I am willing to put money on that too. sure they CAN. but will they?  I think I can safely say he has a 99% chance that hes fine. 

Should he used copyright stuff no. its bad practice for if you ever do get big like big BIG. If you got big and years later that is found they are more likely to come after money as long as there is no statue of limitations on that (idk if there is) but as a kid just living and making a gaming using that asset I think you are fine.

Hell I even know of websites that use the logo and part of the name of other Huge companies and they have been running for years under the radar. same owner and all that. not just take downs then come up as a new "brand" again.

or you know have good opsec IRL and online and you can do anything and be fine lol

So you're okay with telling someone to commit copyright infringement because "they might not sue"? O.o

OP should totally make his own decision, I just told them it's (very likely) not allowed and what could happen (other than Steam possibly not accepting it).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Okay, from what others have told me the C&C soundtrack is copyrighted, but the Twisted Insurrection soundtrack (Twisted Insurrection is a user made mod with its own original music) is also copyrighted, so i will have to remix it and credit it. 

Also the copyright for C&C will end recently. But i geuss remixing them and crediting both will be the solution.