Transfer of SSD into new Motherboard

sundawg89

Hi All,

I am replacing my CPU and Motherboard but keeping most of the rest of the parts of my PC that I built previously here:

I am looking to simply swap out the CPU and Motherboard and was wondering if that will be all that is required, or will I have to re-install windows on my SSD due to compatibility issues, or will it be a simply swap out? Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

You can just swap the drive over and it will work no issues 99% of the time. Generally though, you should reinstall windows.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

You should always reinstall when changing motherboards because windows needs different drivers and configuration for each board.

Sometimes it won't even boot without a clean install.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

From a similar platform, Intel-intel, or AMD-AMD, you probably don't need fresh install. They probably have the same component anyway.

But if the generation jump is to far, like a core 2 to gen 9, fresh install is required.

After that if the serial number is not working, call microsoft, they will reset the activation and give you a new one.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

From a similar platform, Intel-intel, or AMD-AMD, you probably don't need fresh install. They probably have the same component anyway.

But if the generation jump is to far, like a core 2 to gen 9, fresh install is required.

After that if the serial number is not working, call microsoft, they will reset the activation and give you a new one.

The difference in chipset and sound cards and USB controllers and everything else depends on the manufacturer and the model of board.

It does not depend on what CPU it is or what generation it is.

Also, you can link your windows copy to a microsoft account and not have to deal with activation problems.

That's the proper way of moving an OS.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

--- snip ---

Ideally yes, reinstall is better.

But no harm for trying, it's not gonna break anything.

Last time i move a fx to ryzen without reinstalling is okay, i just need to clean the drivers and reinstall the proper one.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Ideally yes, reinstall is better.

But no harm for trying, it's not gonna break anything.

Last time i move a fx to ryzen without reinstalling is okay, i just need to clean the drivers and reinstall the proper one.

Still chances of windows updates failing in the future and other unexpected probems.

Better to just clean install now and avoid the headaches than be in the middle of the year needing to use your PC for work and all of a sudden a windows update breaks your OS because it had been transferred from a different motherboard.

Spoiler

Thanks for the advice all. I am planning on upgrading from the 7700k to a 10700k. I think my best bet will be to transfer everything I need to my second (Games etc) and do a clean install of windows on my main SSD to be safe.