GPU and CPU running at 60c idle. This isn't normal right?

KyberKylo77

My PC has been freezing and locking up recently and I think the temps of CPU and GPU are to blame but i'm not entirely sure. Refer to this previous post I made for more info. Also my 1070 is the zotac mini card.

IN theory both temperatures are fine.

The video card should be able to work up to 90c and the processor will be fine up to 80-85c and the it would throttle itself (reduce its frequencies to stay below 90-100c)

A lot of video cards are designed to reduce the fan speed or even turn off the fans completely when temperature goes below some threshold - for example my RX 570 cards turn off the fans when the temperature goes below 55c , so when I'm just typing something in Word or watching Youtube, the temperature stays between 55-60c and the fans just kick in at low speed for a few seconds every minute or so, when temperature hits 60ish degrees.

Same for the cpu you may have a fan curve configured in the bios to keep your system more silent ... basically the bios will adjust fan speed to reduce noise and only increase fan speed if the temperature goes above some threshold. 60 degrees for a processor is perfectly fine ... 60-75c is perfect temperature range for operation, you don't really gain more performance or anything by keeping a cpu at very low temperature

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

IN theory both temperatures are fine.

The video card should be able to work up to 90c and the processor will be fine up to 80-85c and the it would throttle itself (reduce its frequencies to stay below 90-100c)

A lot of video cards are designed to reduce the fan speed or even turn off the fans completely when temperature goes below some threshold - for example my RX 570 cards turn off the fans when the temperature goes below 55c , so when I'm just typing something in Word or watching Youtube, the temperature stays between 55-60c and the fans just kick in at low speed for a few seconds every minute or so, when temperature hits 60ish degrees.

Same for the cpu you may have a fan curve configured in the bios to keep your system more silent ... basically the bios will adjust fan speed to reduce noise and only increase fan speed if the temperature goes above some threshold. 60 degrees for a processor is perfectly fine ... 60-75c is perfect temperature range for operation, you don't really gain more performance or anything by keeping a cpu at very low temperature

My CPU shoots up to like 110c on stress test benchmarks before shutting down the whole system though. And I've tried everything from clean installing gpu drivers, clearing CMOS (which weirdly enough solved the problem for about a month+), resetting windows and updating chipset drivers. If nothing works I'll just have to send my PC for troubleshooting/repair.

Then that's a sign the cpu cooler may not be installed properly, or the fan may not spin for various reasons (maybe the fan cable is simply disconnected).

Before sending it back, try simple things like removing the case panel and visually inspect the cpu cooler and make sure it sits properly on the cpu.

Make sure there's no plastic on the heatsink between the cpu and heatsink, maybe you forgot or the ones who assembled the pc forgot some sticker or something between heatsink and cpu.

Maybe the heatsink isn't tightened, maybe there isn't a proper pressure so heatsink doesn't make good contact.

Open the case and look and check to see if the cpu fan spins at all. Maybe there's some wire rubbing against fan or fan is blocked / choked by something and doesn't spin

These are all easy things you can do just by opening the case while the pc works.

Look into bios options to disable fan control and leave the fan at 80-100% all the time and make tests and see if it dies again on you. Maybe the fan speed is locked at a very low speed which isn't enough to cool the cpu when it has a high workload, resulting in cpu overheating. 

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Then that's a sign the cpu cooler may not be installed properly, or the fan may not spin for various reasons (maybe the fan cable is simply disconnected).

Before sending it back, try simple things like removing the case panel and visually inspect the cpu cooler and make sure it sits properly on the cpu.

Make sure there's no plastic on the heatsink between the cpu and heatsink, maybe you forgot or the ones who assembled the pc forgot some sticker or something between heatsink and cpu.

Maybe the heatsink isn't tightened, maybe there isn't a proper pressure so heatsink doesn't make good contact.

Open the case and look and check to see if the cpu fan spins at all. Maybe there's some wire rubbing against fan or fan is blocked / choked by something and doesn't spin

These are all easy things you can do just by opening the case while the pc works.

Look into bios options to disable fan control and leave the fan at 80-100% all the time and make tests and see if it dies again on you. Maybe the fan speed is locked at a very low speed which isn't enough to cool the cpu when it has a high workload, resulting in cpu overheating. 

It could be that but I have a hard time believing that's the case. I built this PC back in 2018 and ran stress tests and benchmarks and the temps were fine then. The problems started occuring more than a year later in 2020. But I'll check anyways. Also about the fan speeds, a few days ago I tested it at %100 speed and that didn't work either.

Ryzen 2600 60c idle is not okay. it should be around 40c.

Check you heatsink installation and case airflow.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Ryzen 2600 60c idle is not okay. it should be around 40c.

Check you heatsink installation and case airflow.

I checked and I'm pretty sure it's seated properly like I can't tighten the screws any further due to the locking mechanism. Also airflow my side panel is off so case airflow isn't a factor.

unless you're living in sahara dessert, 60c is not normal.

I'm sure there's a fault in the heatsink, may imbalance contact, not enough paste or fan too slow.

to check the airflow, run the pc in open air (door open), and compare.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w