can i install any osx on my imac after changing hard drive

im planning to replace the hard drive in my imac 2008 which is currently running el capitan 10.11, i was wondering if i could install mac os mojave which i have on a bootable drive?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

My Early 2008 got to El Capitain and has never updated further. Try eBay for a universal installer disk. What are you replacing your drive with? Sticking with a spinning platter or moving to an SSD?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Even with an SSD it may not be worth it. I had a 2008 Mac Pro (dual xeon CPUs) and used a patched installer to get the latest OSX on it, and it was still slow. You would be better served with a linux variant. (Elementary gives a very nice MAC like look and feel.)

Thanks for the response, the Mac we’re talking about has 6gb ram and an upgraded gpu ( I didn’t install it so idk which one ) and I’m trying to install an sshd. Also it was pretty fast even before all my upgrades which I did only 5 months ago. So with a patcher I could get Mojave but will the patcher work on a new storage thing? Also for some reason I can never seem to boot off a usb or even find one when I hold option key so is there any way I could preload it on to the sshd with my laptop?