The new Android Nokia phones

Misanthrope

Ah how the tables have been turned! It's confirmed that Nokia has officially announced Android running phones. Granted this is apparently an Android "fork" meaning Microsoft is at least trying to keep things one way it seems (Uses Android but locks up functionality for their own apps) but it does advertises the phones as running Android Apps

2014-02-24-image-9.jpg

From Techspot.com:

"Yes, Nokia has launched a series of Android devices at MWC 2014, as expected from numerous leaks in the lead up to today's press conference. The low-cost devices are running a forked version of Android laden with Microsoft services, as well as the 'Fastlane' user interface seen on Nokia's Asha line."

The first of the devices are the Nokia X and Nokia X+: both feature 4.0-inch WVGA displays, while the X+ will be slightly beefed up. Internally we're looking at a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 SoC with a 1.0 GHz dual-core CPU, a 1,500 mAh battery, dual-SIM support, as well as a 3-megapixel fixed-focus camera and a microSD card slot. The X has 512 MB of RAM and 4 GB of storage, while the X+ comes with 768 MB of RAM.

The XL is a larger variant of the X, featuring a 5.0-inch WVGA IPS display, a 2-megapixel front-facing camera and 5-megapixel rear camera with autofocus. Internal hardware in the Nokia XL is the same as the X+, but the battery has been upgraded to 2,000 mAh. All handsets in the series look like a combination of Lumia and Asha devices, with colorful backs and a single front button.

All devices will have access to Nokia's Android app store, as well as the Yandex app store that will suggest apps Nokia's store doesn't have. Sideloading APK files will be supported, although some apps may not function correctly due to the lack of Google Mobile Services in the forked OS running on the phones.

The Nokia X will be available "immediately" for €89 (~$120), while Q2 will see the launch of the the Nokia X+ for €99 (~$135) and Nokia XL for €109 (~$150)."

http://www.techspot.com/news/55778-nokia-x-x-and-xl-launched-at-mwc-all-running-forked-android.html

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/nokia-x-plus/

EDIT 2: Removed as is now irrelevant since moderation apparently allows this much humor: 0.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What is the point of an Android phone if it can't run Google apps.

Nokia, you are fucking stupid.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I think it will run em, it might not be exactly Android but it will run android apps, possibly from google play since they're crediting Google inc (taken from nokia.com):

GO! GET APPS

Discover the world of Android apps with the Nokia X smartphone. Download top apps like Skype and Plants vs. Zombies 2 and access hundreds of thousands of other great apps. (Android is a trademark of Google Inc.)

So it might port apps over and have it's own store front, it might just use google play, but the fact that they're respecting the Android Trademark makes me thing this is a deal similar to other vendors who run their own app stores in addition to google play.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Stock Android best Android.

any skinned version of android is better than this piece of shit.

let's think for a second. The biggest problem with Windows phone is not Nokia, it is the lack of app support. Something only developers can solve. So, one way to solve that is to switch to am operating system that has great app support I.e. android. But Nokia screws that up by forking it and not including Google's services. They include their own app store which will have the same exact problem as their Windows phones but no play store support. What a truly stupid decision on Nokia's part. This will surely fail.

I think it will run em, it might not be exactly Android but it will run android apps, possibly from google play since they're crediting Google inc (taken from nokia.com):

So it might port apps over and have it's own store front, it might just use google play, but the fact that they're respecting the Android Trademark makes me thing this is a deal similar to other vendors who run their own app stores in addition to google play.

it says you have to sideload them. And some might not work because Google services aren't included with the phone.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Can sideloading them get em to their claim of "hundreds of thousands" of apps? But yeah I agree with you 100% it's taken the worst out of each side: The awful, throw-away android junk apps and the awful metro interface and main applications that are (or might be?) inferior to stock android looks and main apps.

-------

Current Rig

-------

i just want my lumia 520 to run andriod then im happy 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

But if microsoft owns Nokias cellphone-side, how is nokia to blame?

You gotta appreciate the irony: Nokia was pretty arrogant about ever releasing an Android phone (hence the infamous "piss on themselves for warmth" comment) even though all their OS efforts like Maemo were well...mediocre at best. So they decided to join forces with Microsoft with their competing Windows Phone platform instead but now either or both are desperate enough that they are willing to try an Android fork to get decent app support.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You gotta appreciate the irony: Nokia was pretty arrogant about ever releasing an Android phone (hence the infamous "piss on themselves for warmth" comment) even though all their OS efforts like Malmo were well...mediocre at best. So they decided to join forces with Microsoft with their competing Windows Phone platform instead but now either or both are desperate enough that they are willing to try an Android fork to get decent app support.

even though they fucked the app support by killing the play store and G-apps support.

how stupid. I am just amazed that they think this will work.

Hail Sithis!

It is a substitute for "dumbphone". I hope than Windows Will not suport android aps.

It is a substitute for "dumbphone". I hope than Windows Will not suport android aps.

Why?

Hail Sithis!

You can run google apps, you cant get on PlayStore but if you get setup through your PC into phone you can install any android app.. at least tahts what I read elsewhere.

i have android and Windows phone, i dont miss any aps in Windows store and like Windows more. If they allow android aps then no one Will make native aps for Windows. sorry for my eng.

You can run google apps, you cant get on PlayStore but if you get setup through your PC into phone you can install any android app.. at least tahts what I read elsewhere.

Apps are limited natively to the Nokia android store. Sideloading is possible but why the hell wouldn't they just include it in?

I mean Google got on samsung's case for including their app store along with the play store.

This is just a stupid decision.

Hail Sithis!

i have android and Windows phone, i dont miss any aps in Windows store and like Windows more. If they allow android aps then no one Will make native aps for Windows. sorry for my eng.

No one is making Windows apps though. it's not a popular platform for developers. Nokia has an opportunity to bring android to its phones but them not including the Google Play store is a stupid decision.

Hail Sithis!

For me it  is mistake to make that phone, but Microsoft make alot of money  from android so why not.

Low price, low specs, some of which are popular in emerging markets like dual sim

I know that, my 'why?' was for the ''I hope than Windows Will not suport android aps.''

For me it is mistake to make that phone, but Microsoft make alot of money from android so why not.

I'm just thinking of the consumer, Imagine getting a phone with terrible app support that is based on one of the Best mobile operating systems. they said it supports 100,000+ android apps but you have to jump through hoops to access them.

Hail Sithis!

After several years and bazilon of usles app now just use some for banking and social. All available on win store today.

Not advertise as android phones and no one will buy them such as.

Not advertise as android phones and no one will buy them such as.

Buut they are android phones, and they have to say that. It's part of the open source concept of android.

Hail Sithis!

Many Chinese phones use android but dont have play store, becuse of not have full suport for android by Google terms.

Many Chinese phones use android but dont have play store, becuse of not have full suport for android by Google terms.

That is probably mainly due to the Chinese governments lockdown of software.

Hail Sithis!

Maybe, i just wont Nokia lumnia icon in Europe  and i am happy.