Why Linus Hated the Hobbit?

Philippe

This might seem like a weird question to ask, but for the past couple of WAN shows Linus has been strongly hinting that he really hated this film, often coming close to going on a rant about it but holding himself back every time.  I'm curious, has he laid out his reasons anywhere?  I quite quite liked the movie, the one thing I find was really really unnecessary was throwing in Legolas and his girlfriend, all of their involvement from Mirkwood to Lake Town could easily have all been cut out.  I like Orlando Bloom, but really his character has nothing to do with the story proper... 

Aside for that though... it was fun.  Smaug was just great in my opinion.  Benedict Cumberbatch pulled it off quite well.

Case: Lancool K63,  PSU: LEPA 500W 80+ Gold,  Mobo: Gigabyte Z77M-D3H-MVP,  CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K,  Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P,  RAM: 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix,  GPU: PNY GTX 670,  SSD: 128GB Crucial M4,  HDD: 2TB Western Digital Black,  OS: Windows 7 Home.

It's because he is a hobbit... on the inside...

CPU \\ i7-3770K@4.6GHz Motherboard \\ MSI MPower Z77 RAM \\ 16GB 1886 Patriot Viper 3 GPU \\ EVGA GTX 670 SC+ 4GB CASE \\ Corsair 600T SE White Storage \\ Western Digital Black 2TB PSU \\ Seasonic SS-760XP2 Cooling \\ H100i + 3 Swiftech Helix 120s 

because movies shall never be as good as books this been proven time and time again 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

because movies shall never be as good as books this been proven time and time again 

You only have bewteen 1-3 hours to do an entire book otherwise the movie would be 5 hours plus.

This might seem like a weird question to ask, but for the past couple of WAN shows Linus has been strongly hinting that he really hated this film, often coming close to going on a rant about it but holding himself back every time.  I'm curious, has he laid out his reasons anywhere?  I quite quite liked the movie, the one thing I find was really really unnecessary was throwing in Legolas and his girlfriend, all of their involvement from Mirkwood to Lake Town could easily have all been cut out.  I like Orlando Bloom, but really his character has nothing to do with the story proper... 

Aside for that though... it was fun.  Smaug was just great in my opinion.  Benedict Cumberbatch pulled it off quite well.

The POS ending certainly had something to do with it. They basically try to force you to watch the eventual third installment of the movie by cutting right when the thrilling stuff is about to happen. It's a really dick marketing move. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

As to why Linus dislikes the Hobbit movie: The only person really qualified to answer this is Linus himself. I think its probably because it does not just follow the story from the Hobbit, but also includes elements from Tolkien's other work. I know that some people dislike it for this reason.

1) This technically does not answer the question. Linus has enjoyed other movies that are based on books. The assumption that books are always better than their onscreen counterparts does not mean that the the movie provides no enjoyment not is deserving of "hate"

2) The idea books are better than movies is heavily opinionated. Personally I usually prefer movies to books. I dislike reading descriptions of something (be it a character, scenery or emotion) when the same information can be conveyed in a much more true to life and recognisable manner.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

As to why Linus dislikes the Hobbit movie: The only person really qualified to answer this is Linus himself.

Yeah, I know.  I just thought that maybe he had done a rant about it on Twitter or something and that I hadn't found it yet.  In which case someone could have pointed it out for me.

Case: Lancool K63,  PSU: LEPA 500W 80+ Gold,  Mobo: Gigabyte Z77M-D3H-MVP,  CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K,  Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P,  RAM: 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix,  GPU: PNY GTX 670,  SSD: 128GB Crucial M4,  HDD: 2TB Western Digital Black,  OS: Windows 7 Home.

As a Fanboy of LOTR and Hobbit, I can truly say they ripped the ending off.  And they have strayed quite a bit from the book.

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I think the whole gold statue trap was a complete waste of time, for the characters and us, the veiwers...

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

@ CJPowell

But the Hobbit book wasn't divided into separate parts, so was there ever a "right" way of splitting the book up into three?  I mean you guys are acting like there's never been a movie in a series that's ended on a cliff-hanger.  Nothing wrong with wetting our appetites for the next bit.

I do agree about the straying from the book part, but I don't think that could ever have been avoided.  We wouldn't have been able to get a movie in the first place if they weren't allowed to "inflate" it, so to speak.

I like to compare it to a romance novel or the latest fast and furious movie.  Sure it's entertaining and fun to watch, but as a piece of cinematic art it falls short in so many places it's not worth looking at through that lens at all.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

there are some exceptions:

War and Peace, The Godfather, Jaws, Let the Right One In, Jurassic Park, Die Hard, The Shining, Fight Club, and on and on.. though most of these are "cult classics"

Not all movies are worse than the books. Hell, even the American and Swedish adaptions of the Millennium series don't fail to come close to the masterfulness of the original books.

I loved the original LOTR films, but I'm not crazy about the new Hobbit series. 

LOTR was the big, epic apex of the whole story surrounding the "ring". The Hobbit, while I'm sure is a great book in it's own context, I don't think is deserving of the same treatment as the original LOTR films. Judging by the first 2 Hobbit films, the plot feels very stretched and things are emphasized that need not be. It feels like the overall quality has fallen short of the LOTR series. Some parts/scenes are very deep/serious/realistic (in context), yet other scenes are very far-fetched (again, in context), silly and sub-par. 

Just my two cents.

I bet if we all bug Linus enough about it, he will tell us on the WAN show. I'm sure many of us are curious to hear what he has to say about it, even if it has nothing to do with the show. There's nothing wrong with going a little off-topic now and then, especially if it's just for a quick rant. Linus, just tell us why you didn't like it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. You're not the only one who didn't like it I'm sure. While I don't hate the first two Hobbit film's, they are certainly far from the best I've ever seen. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Disagree strongly.

I though linus would have loved it! It was filmed in 5k resolution!

5k resolution with 4.9k of it being CGI animation.

Plenty of book-to-film adaptations that are great.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

i liked the first hobbit better than the second, by a fair bit, don't ask me why, not sure, the second one was just a tad bit too silly for me, i wish they would have given it more of a "adventure" atmosphere/feeling compared to what they did.

Actually the movies are far better just because they aren't books. Books are awful and movies are fun.

The POS ending certainly had something to do with it. They basically try to force you to watch the eventual third installment of the movie by cutting right when the thrilling stuff is about to happen. It's a really dick marketing move. 

Which would have been a valid complain to unsuspecting movie goers a decade ago when the Lord of the rings movies did the exact same thing: By now the movie was talked about so much that it surprises me people didn't honestly expect an abrupt cliffhanger ending.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Which would have been a valid complain to unsuspecting movie goers a decade ago when the Lord of the rings movies did the exact same thing: By now the movie was talked about so much that it surprises me people didn't honestly expect an abrupt cliffhanger ending.

honestly people shouldn't even be calling it a cliffhanger, it's a trilogy for gods sake, who cares how they end one movie or the other as long as they are going to finish it in the end, and alot of us has read the bloody books, what clifhanger? we know exactly what's going to happen, when companies bite over something they can't chew, run out of funding, whatever, they just end things on a teaser and it's never ever going to get closure, that annoys me, a trilogy? couldn't care less, all movies are connected either way and they are going to finish it.

So you say Linus hates the hobbit.

Linus is short, but wears socks even with sandals, so we never see his feet..........hmmm
post-54950-0-65259800-1393298771.jpg

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER