Can MX250 run external display with 200 hz?

xianead

Hi! It's my first time posting here and I was wondering if my Matebook 13 with mx250 25 watts can run an external monitor with 2560x1080 resolution @ 144 hz? Thank you!

Sure.

Until you open a game.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Sure.

Until you open a game.

I won't really care much about the fps since i usually cap everything I just want to know if it will be smooth or if there will be some tearing? I'm not really that knowledgeable in these things so yeah

4 minutes ago, xianead said:

I won't really care much about the fps since i usually cap everything I just want to know if it will be smooth or if there will be some tearing? I'm not really that knowledgeable in these things so yeah

What's the point of 200 Hz if you're going to cap it below that? Just set the external display to something much more reasonable. An MX250, even the more powerful 25W version, is along the lines of a GTX 750 or HD 7750 in terms of graphics power. It's good enough for basic stuff, sure, but asking it to run 200 FPS is a wee bit optimistic.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

What's the point of 200 Hz if you're going to cap it below that? Just set the external display to something much more reasonable. An MX250, even the more powerful 25W version, is along the lines of a GTX 750 or HD 7750 in terms of graphics power. It's good enough for basic stuff, sure, but asking it to run 200 FPS is a wee bit optimistic.

What if it's an older game like UT99 or HL?

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

8 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

What if it's an older game like UT99 or HL?

Yeah I've also been playing more indie games and pixel games which runs steadily above 100 fps so I'm okay

12 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

It's because I'm gonna use a monitor now because I'm in college and having online classes so I think it can help me with my productivity especially with my game dev classes. I'm also planning to build a pc in the future when I've saved up and I want to buy something that I can use with the pc as well so I don't have to buy a new one in the future to save some money

42 minutes ago, xianead said:

Yeah I've also been playing more indie games and pixel games which runs steadily above 100 fps so I'm okay

It's because I'm gonna use a monitor now because I'm in college and having online classes so I think it can help me with my productivity especially with my game dev classes. I'm also planning to build a pc in the future when I've saved up and I want to buy something that I can use with the pc as well so I don't have to buy a new one in the future to save some money

it'll be fine, at least for productivity.

CPU: AMD 3600X

GPU: Nvidia 3070 (planned)

motherboard: MSI B500-A PRO

memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB 3600Mhz CL16

PSU: EVGA B3 650@

Case: NZXT H510

wireless network adapter: intel ax200

• 3 weeks later...

For those that might try in the future, I'm currently using the MSI Optix G24C4 with my Matebook 13 and it works flawlessly. Games are also running super smooth and I haven't encountered any problem with connection to the monitor!