Help! Ryzen 3600x MSI Tomahawk Max

I recently built a PC for a friend, we chose a Ryzen 3600x, MSI Tomahawk MAX ATX mobo, 16 GB of 3200 ram. We tested everything on the box, put the pc together. He took it home and started gaming, then he says it crashed and wouldn't boot. I had him bring it over and I tried to trouble shoot it. It doesn't get passed the CPU test on the Mobo now. I used the boards built in bios flash feature to see if that was the issue. That didn't work, I reset the CMOS in hopes that maybe that would do something. It didn't, I am at a loss at how to help him. I don't have another ryzen mobo to test if its the mother board thats bad. and I don't have another Ryzen CPU to see if thats the issue. What do you guys think? Should we send back the board and CPU?

Cpu test fail is a bad sign.  SOP when you’ve got a new machine and a questionable part you can’t diagnose yourself is to RMA it.  My suspicion is the bios in the CPU is corrupt but I just don’t know.  RMA sucks.  It takes forever and both the user and the manufacturer hate it. I’m not seeing an out at the moment though.  The manufacturer has the capacity to test parts.  They may simply send them back with a “nope this tests fine” but then at least you know you’ve got a known good part.  Might do to make sure they look at the bios on the mobo and the bits equivalent bits in the CPU.  A note might help.  Might need to be in both English and whatever language, most likely chinese depending on where you wind up sending the stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

48 minutes ago, Yesdad10 said:

I recently built a PC for a friend, we chose a Ryzen 3600x, MSI Tomahawk MAX ATX mobo, 16 GB of 3200 ram. We tested everything on the box, put the pc together. He took it home and started gaming, then he says it crashed and wouldn't boot. I had him bring it over and I tried to trouble shoot it. It doesn't get passed the CPU test on the Mobo now. I used the boards built in bios flash feature to see if that was the issue. That didn't work, I reset the CMOS in hopes that maybe that would do something. It didn't, I am at a loss at how to help him. I don't have another ryzen mobo to test if its the mother board thats bad. and I don't have another Ryzen CPU to see if thats the issue. What do you guys think? Should we send back the board and CPU?

If you have xmp / dcop disable it and then try if that worked it's probably a chipset driver issue 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I've been diving into this thing, I have told my friend to leave the PC with me. I have been looking for information anywhere, I've seen a lot of info pointing towards a BIOS issue. But that seems to be mainly on the Tomahawk and not the Tomahawk Max boards. Which should come ready to go from MSI. I'm just hoping to save my friend from the RMA process. With the oldest BIOS the CPU light goes away and then it just sits there and doesnt seem to try and boot.

1 minute ago, Yesdad10 said:

I've been diving into this thing, I have told my friend to leave the PC with me. I have been looking for information anywhere, I've seen a lot of info pointing towards a BIOS issue. But that seems to be mainly on the Tomahawk and not the Tomahawk Max boards. Which should come ready to go from MSI. I'm just hoping to save my friend from the RMA process. With the oldest BIOS the CPU light goes away and then it just sits there and doesnt seem to try and boot.

Tomahawk Max should run 3600 out of the box.  It’s the whole point.  If it doesn’t and has the wrong bios on it that’s MSI’s fault and a pretty weird thing to have happen 

have you looked ant @TofuHaroto’s suggestion?  I’m kinda hoping there’s a simpler solution than mine.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 minutes ago, Yesdad10 said:

Please don't rma unless it's the last hope

For now test the system without xmp / dcop and check if the issue still occures

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I cant get into the BIOS to disable XMP

I've put up the white flag. I'm boxing up the mobo and CPU and going to send them back. Thank you guys for your help!