Blue Screen caused purely by GPU fault, or resolution on native monitor?

LouStaley

Hello everyone,

I have posted several times about this issue and it's proven to be an extremely challenging task.

Basically, currently I receive an Atikmpag.sys Video TDR failure BSOD, whenever I browse videos and sometimes when gaming, ONLY on the native resolution of my monitor.

The monitor I was using is a very old Samsung 931CW (https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-syncmaster-931cw-lcd-monitor-19/)

It runs at a native res of 1440x900, but if i use a different monitor (the only one I have is an oldish TV monitor rn), or change the resolution, then it is completely fine

What could be the cause of this issue? Could it be a faulty GPU? Just the old monitor? AMD's drivers?

Thanks @TofuHaroto for all your help so far ❤️ 

Here are my other specs

PSU: Corsair RM850
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX 5600 XT Red Dragon 14GBPS 6GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor
RAM: Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G30C15U4B 3000 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 16GB (8GB x2), CL15, Black
SSD: SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB (C drive)
HDD: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 1TB (D drive)

11 minutes ago, LouStaley said:

Hello everyone,

I have posted several times about this issue and it's proven to be an extremely challenging task.

Basically, currently I receive an Atikmpag.sys Video TDR failure BSOD, whenever I browse videos and sometimes when gaming, ONLY on the native resolution of my monitor.

The monitor I was using is a very old Samsung 931CW (https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-syncmaster-931cw-lcd-monitor-19/)

It runs at a native res of 1440x900, but if i use a different monitor (the only one I have is an oldish TV monitor rn), or change the resolution, then it is completely fine

What could be the cause of this issue? Could it be a faulty GPU? Just the old monitor? AMD's drivers?

Thanks @TofuHaroto for all your help so far ❤️ 

Here are my other specs

PSU: Corsair RM850
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX 5600 XT Red Dragon 14GBPS 6GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor
RAM: Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G30C15U4B 3000 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 16GB (8GB x2), CL15, Black
SSD: SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250GB (C drive)
HDD: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 1TB (D drive)

So am I getting this correctly 

The other monitor did indeed work correct ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

So am I getting this correctly 

The other monitor did indeed work correct ?

The other monitor is different specs and res, but does work on all of its resolutions.

1 minute ago, LouStaley said:

The other monitor is different specs and res, but does work on all of its resolutions.

The thing is I don't know why your previous monitor would cause the issue but it's the only thing left so I don't know lol 

Why would a monitor  trigger a driver error 🤔

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

The thing is I don't know why your previous monitor would cause the issue but it's the only thing left so I don't know lol 

Why would a monitor  trigger a driver error 🤔

could it be an issue with the GPU? like communicating the 1440x900 res? I'm not too sure how this all works, but I feel like its an usual res anyway? 

2 minutes ago, LouStaley said:

could it be an issue with the GPU? like communicating the 1440x900 res? I'm not too sure how this all works, but I feel like its an usual res anyway? 

1440x900 is an odd ball so it could be bad scaling 

What resolution is the other monitor (sorry I forgot )

Build Log: 

Also, maybe important to mention, my 2nd monitor native res is 1360x768, another odd Res i think?

5 minutes ago, LouStaley said:

Here is the spec page: https://www.whathifi.com/lg/32lk330u/overview

its a 16:9, 720P (32")

I doubt this will fix it but I found something from AMD on how to render at a certain aspect ratio all the time 

So try this

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-68

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

I doubt this will fix it but I found something from AMD on how to render at a certain aspect ratio all the time 

So try this

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-68

I'll have a look, how would u recommend scaling my 1440x900 monitor?

and I am planning on buying some 1080p monitors, so do you think the problem will disappear? 

Just now, LouStaley said:

I'll have a look, how would u recommend scaling my 1440x900 monitor?

and I am planning on buying some 1080p monitors, so do you think the problem will disappear? 

I don't know if the problem with still occure but the monitor that you own apparently has an aspect ratio of 16:10 ( really odd for this low of a res) 

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I don't know if the problem with still occure but the monitor that you own apparently has an aspect ratio of 16:10 ( really odd for this low of a res) 

so try and make it 16:9?

2 minutes ago, LouStaley said:

so try and make it 16:9?

First of all try 16:10

Build Log: 

12 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

First of all try 16:10

played around with the scalings and stuff, nothing seemed to make a difference, kept crashing, enabled gpu scaling, tried out super res, played about with different scaling options, but nothing

I'm out of ideas other than the monitor is messing with the drivers maybe someone else has an idea like @Jurrunio ( sorry for the ping )

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

I'm out of ideas other than the monitor is messing with the drivers maybe someone else has an idea like @Jurrunio ( sorry for the ping )

im honestly so confused😅

6 minutes ago, LouStaley said:

im honestly so confused😅

Yea I tried everything I got but throughout these 4 or so days (maybe less ) I have been so confused by this lmao  

Build Log: