Quotes/replies with notification unassociated to an original thread

Semper

Browser, version and OS: 
Firefox V 76.0.1 (x64) | Windows 10 Pro, v1909 (build 18363.836)

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?
Check notifications, find quotes associated with threads that you're not associated with, and some ultimately aren't actually a quote at all, when further investigated.

What happened?

Infrequently (maybe once every few months), I'm receiving notifications of others quoting me on threads that I've not posted on. It's a bit difficult to explain, as I'm not entirely certain I have working understanding of what's going on. It's an issue that's difficult to reproduce as it appears as though reloading pages "fixes" the issue. In attempting to source the screenshots below, returning to the "actual thread" URL associated different posts to a different thread than when I originally started investigating. I believe I remember seeing a thread created about this at least once previously, however it hasn't been an issue for me, up until about four or five months ago, since around mid 2018.

What did you expect to happen?

To not receive a quote notification

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 
This is the link the notification provides

where as this is the actual thread that the quote references.

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable:

Spoiler

C8nn20o.png
Notification screenshot
----------
B2gmuO6.png

Actual thread screenshot

Spoiler

F2eOdcX.png

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

In theory it's entirely possible to quote a post of yours from another thread, in whatever thread you want. Here is a quote from yours as an example:

On 4/25/2020 at 9:22 PM, Semper said:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#support-mem-14

There's multiple different SKU's for Trident Z series memory modules. You will need to reference an exact model (I.E. "F4-3200C16D-16GTZR") against the QVL for your series of CPU (2000 series linked)

Of course pressing the little 'arrow'  icon in the top right will return you to where I got this from. Plus in theory I could edit this quote in whatever way I want, as a 'quote'  in the forum software is just a bit of code saying: "This user <link> made a post at <date> in this thread <link> and then there is some text (that should be from the post)"

You just have to quote someone, press this thingy on a quote:

image.png.455cba9851cbcbbe289de534139e213c.png

Ctrl+C and now you can paste this quote wherever. 

Why this user has done that? I don't know.

On purposes or accident? Possibly either.

So I would have to assume this is just some 'weird'  behaviour by a human user, rather than by the forum. I doubt this user pressed the quote button under another post in that thread which made this happen.

There are some quote deliberate actions you have to take, to quote a post from another thread. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

*snip*

That's largely what I had considered was happening, and just let it be, until today.

I decided to bring up the alert of a potential hiccup because of what happened while investigating it, being that when I went back to what the original thread URL (while trying to figure out what was going on), the replies were different than when I was originally investigating (being my literal reaction was "this isn't the topic that I was reading before"). My web development skills are lackluster to begin with (think, high school elective HTML/Dreamweaver back in the early-mid 2000's), so I'm unable to clearly define what's going on here at a lower level, but on the surface, it's apparent that there's some crosstalk going on between independent threads.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

The answer to this is very simple : 
It's not a bug, more of a.. "we're too lazy efficient to fully update the notifications for this" part of merging/transfering threads to other subforums.

Whenever someone say, posts in Tech News, I get a notification. 80% of the time it's fine, 20% of the time people can't read the guidelines and repost something, so it gets merged with the original post.

The notification will keep the OP title, but link to the merged thread.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Re-written...

So this isn't actually a bug, but OP of the thread messing up something. You have replied to both of their threads, and cause threads are named very similarly (and them not been active since previous), they have clicked from notification, quoted, replied to correct thread and then edited post realizing they did something wrong. But since they don't know how to use forums, they have changed content of the quote instead of removing whole post (trash can icon) content.

Edited by LogicalDrm
Redo

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv