Headphones + Soundcard/External DAC HELP

xExia
I am here to find advice and/or recommendations on Headphones + Sound card or External DAC, within my budget. Microphones are out of the question, since I can find a cheap clip on mic of some sort online. 

My budget is $300 for both Headphones and Sound card together. 
OR $200 for Headphone & $100 for Sound card or External DAC

My music tastes would be dubstep, house mixes, something along the lines of, 

I want something that will be used for watching Music, Movies, and gaming. Music being most important. 

Previous Headsets,
1. Turtle Beaches x11 (Retired)
2. Steel Series Siberia v2 (Mic died/Retired)
3. Steel Series Elite - Black 
I currently do not use a dedicated sound card or DAC. 

The headphones will be used mostly at home, PC gaming, listening to music, and watching movies. 

I currently live in Canada. I have access to Best Buy, Future Shop, and NCIX as a retail. Any Canadian sites will help, due to price matching in order to get the best deals. Other sites will be fine, if the shipping is priced reasonably. 

Btw I am a noob, when it comes to Audio, so any suggestions of products to get, will help. 

DT 990 pro's with an o2 amp, if your onboard is suffering from popping, then get the dac combo along with it, won't cost much.

Over here that would cost around $270 US, check where you can get it cheapest.

First off welcome to the forums!

Second: For maximum sound quality I would recommend the dt 990 as well at this price point, paired with the Fiio e10 DAC/AMP. Get the highest possible impedance (600 Ohm) if you want the maximum sound quality.

Or get the 250 Ohm version, if you want to save some bucks and use it with mobile devices as well. (600 Ohm will most likely be far too quiet with mobile devices)

Either way you will most definetly need an AMP/DAC such as the Fiio e10 or a soundcard.

I would recommend the external solution however, because you will get very similar results compared to a soundcard, but save so much money potentially.

The Fiio e10 AMP/DAC is pretty much LTT-approved, as it is the most recommend audio amplifying solution here on the forums to my knowledge.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Eh, the DT990 with an amp might be stretching the budget in Canada. If it doesn't, then that'd be a good choice.

First off welcome to the forums!

Second: For maximum sound quality I would recommend the dt 990 as well at this price point, paired with the Fiio e10 DAC/AMP. Get the highest possible impedance (600 Ohm) if you want the maximum sound quality.

Or get the 250 Ohm version, if you want to save some bucks and use it with mobile devices as well. (600 Ohm will most likely be far too quiet with mobile devices)

Either way you will most definetly need an AMP/DAC such as the Fiio e10 or a soundcard.

I would recommend the external solution however, because you will get very similar results compared to a soundcard, but save so much money potentially.

The Fiio e10 AMP/DAC is pretty much LTT-approved, as it is the most recommend audio amplifying solution here on the forums to my knowledge.

What is the difference between the 600 Ohm & 250 Ohm versions, & why does the 250 Ohm version cost less? 

I've found this for $230, scroll down to "Frequently Bought Together" 

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E10-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005VO7LG6

are there going to be any complications when purchasing the, DT990-250 + Fiio E10 + Zalman Zm-Mic1, when buying from Amazon? Never really purchased anything from Amazon.com

What is the difference between the 600 Ohm & 250 Ohm versions, & why does the 250 Ohm version cost less? 

I've found this for $230, scroll down to "Frequently Bought Together" 

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E10-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005VO7LG6

are there going to be any complications when purchasing the, DT990-250 + Fiio E10 + Zalman Zm-Mic1, when buying from Amazon? Never really purchased anything from Amazon.com

Some people like to think the 600 ohm version sounds better, but there's likely very little difference. The 250 Ohm Pro is the cheapest because it sells in higher volumes - notice that all the "Premium" variants cost the same.

You shouldn't have issues ordering from Amazon.com, I think @Aphexx has done it multiple times. 

amazon dot com to canada? yeah. just gotta toss things into the cart and check shipping estimates and compare to amazon dot CA prices. in most cases there is little difference when shipping is added but there are some killer deals to be had, you just have to hunt for them. also some items are blocked from shipping from amazon dot com. also in almost all my cases I had the tarriff/duty fee refunded to me. 

A friend told me that if I were to buy those 3 items off of Amazom . com. They would charge me duty or some sort of fee when shipping electronics to Canada, is this true? 

Pioneer HDJ-2000s are really good for what you listen to. They require no amping, are built like a tank, look really good (in my opininon) and are super comfortable. You won't get pounding bass, but you'll get really accurate and punchy bass. I've been using them non stop for the past 5 months listening to House, Electro, Hardstyle and Alternative and they're wonderful.

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

A friend told me that if I were to buy those 3 items off of Amazom . com. They would charge me duty or some sort of fee when shipping electronics to Canada, is this true? 

Already answered:

also in almost all my cases I had the tarriff/duty fee refunded to me. 

I have been looking around and I have noticed that the Schiit Magni mentioned a lot. What do you guys think of it versus the Fiio E10?

I have been looking around and I have noticed that the Schiit Magni mentioned a lot. What do you guys think of it versus the Fiio E10?

I think it's more than twice as expensive once you add the price of the Modi

So I guess the above amazon solution would be a done deal? 

Well then. The Fiio E10 cannot be shipped to Canada. 
So I'm probably going to have to find another place that is around $75.

Well then. The Fiio E10 cannot be shipped to Canada. 

So I'm probably going to have to find another place that is around $75.

Will this ship to Canada? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009WN7QT4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1393378522&sr=8-2

Edit: nvm, that wont drive a DT 990, forgot what thread I was in. Just grab a Xonar DG if you end up needing more volume - no need to nitpick if it's hard to find an E10 in your area.

to be honest all the audiophile crap that goes around is bull shit..

get a Xonar DX7.1 and a ATH M50 and you will be happy.

and if you need a mic get a mod mic or a blue desktop mic

if you are not happy with it you can slap me

to be honest all the audiophile crap that goes around is bull shit..

get a Xonar DX7.1 and a ATH M50 and you will be happy.

and if you need a mic get a mod mic or a blue desktop mic

I have the lower version, Xonar DG 5.1 + ATH TAD300, and I'm very happy with the combination. But then again, I'm easy to please.... :)

to be honest all the audiophile crap that goes around is bull shit.

Care to point out the BS in this thread? No? kthnxbai.

Does this offer stand for people who have already tried it?  :ph34r:

Care to point out the BS in this thread? No? kthnxbai.

i didnt mean in this thread. but in all things audio in general

So the ATH M50s are better than DT 990s? 
I could push the budget & maybe get the JDS Labs o2+ODAC?

Most people would say a definite "HELL NO"

Is good if you can push for it - should last you forever and a day.

M50 vs DT990 ??

there is a point of diminishing return on anything, so the extra 150-200 you spend on the DT990 does not equal to the increase of quality in sound. so for a first time High quality music and sound equipment user the M50 are perfect. 

a DAC is just the same as a Sound card. as sound card is a Digital Analogue Converter. anything that converts a music file (ones and zeros) in to a mechanical wave that humans can hear is a DAC. so a DAC like the one you are talking is very "generic" no extra stuff. some might be actually usefull. 

so a sound card might have a virtual surround effect (dolby Digital 7.1) and it can be very entertaining for movies and games. and with a generic DAC like ODAC you will never get it. or if you want to adjust the EQ for what ever reason you can do it with a sound card with a good firmware and software. so its al about what you want. i hate when people say that something is the best of the best and its the only thing that every one should use. but that is not true. 

think about your use case. what would you enjoy? how much money do you have to spend? and figure out what is the right choice for you.

M50 vs DT990 ??

there is a point of diminishing return on anything, so the extra 150-200 you spend on the DT990 does not equal to the increase of quality in sound. so for a first time High quality music and sound equipment user the M50 are perfect. 

DT 990-250Ohm are going for $145 on Amazon. 

But I just looked at the weekly sale for NCIX & the PC363d are going for $200 they are an all in one. Headphone+Mic+USB Sound card. But i'm not sure if they would be the better buy?