Upgrading my sound setup

nukem

Well what your saying is that an external USB DAC like the Audio Engine D1 is exactly the same as the DAC on your motherboard. The DAC chip on the motherboard is no where near as high quality as the one used in external or audiophile grade DAC's.

Actually, yes they are the about same quality, and that is exactly what I am saying, the DACs themselves are all pretty much the exact same thing.  

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Actually, yes they are the about same quality, and that is exactly what I am saying, the DACs itself are all pretty much the exact same thing.  

themselves* 

And we should just give up and start believing in our lord and savior headfi.

themselves* 

And we should just give up and start believing in our lord and savior headfi.

God damn english language  and it's complicated ways.   :P

God damn english language  and it's complicated ways.   :P

I know that feel....I live here and I hardly speak/write it better then my Swedish friends. 

Actually, yes they are the about same quality, and that is exactly what I am saying, the DACs themselves are all pretty much the exact same thing.  

So your pretty much saying all external DAC's are just a money making scam. Then why do people like Linus review them?

So your pretty much saying all external DAC's are just a money making scam. Then why do people like Linus review them?

Yes, and Linus reviews amps, which are were the quality is more effected. 

Yes, and Linus reviews amps, which are were the quality is more effected. 

Well what can I say this is all very new to me. I'm used to people praising them and I have never really heard of people believing it is some scam.

There is a difference between DAC and AMP, the AMPs do make some differences in sound, and I don't really remember Linus ever reviewing a DAC (I could be wrong), all I remember him reviewing were DAC/AMP combos.  Like the Fiio E10 or the Objective 2 + ODAC.

There is a difference between DAC and AMP, the AMPs do make some differences in sound, and I don't really remember Linus ever reviewing a DAC (I could be wrong), all I remember him reviewing were DAC/AMP combos.  Like the Fiio E10 or the Objective 2 + ODAC.

Yeah I'm not sure if Linus has reviewed just a DAC but what about MKBHD who reviewed the Audio Engine D1 and praised it.

Yeah I'm not sure if Linus has reviewed just a DAC but what about MKBHD who reviewed the Audio Engine D1 and praised it.

That one is also a DAC/AMP combo, the DAC portion is just like any other DAC out there.   And just to give you an example, My XBA-4 earphones would sound horrible in that  device because it has a higher output impedance than the integrated audio in my motherboard.

I guess you just don't believe that a company would put out a product that is no better than what you already have and use publicity to make you want it anyway, and even convince you that it's better when is the same.  But companies do that A LOT.

That one is also a DAC/AMP combo.   And the DAC portion is just like any other DAC out there.

The Audio Eninge D1 has a headphone amp so why were you guys trying to turn OP off buying one?

The Audio Eninge D1 has a headphone amp so why were you guys trying to turn OP off buying one?

Because you don't need it FOR SPEAKERS.

Because you don't need it FOR SPEAKERS.

Well you never know he might have a nice pair of headphones and the D1 might go really nice with his new speakers and would give him a really clean audio setup... You never know... Anyway this has been an interesting conversation to say the least and what can I say I have actually learnt a lot. 

Well you never know he might have a nice pair of headphones and the D1 might go really nice with his new speakers and would give him a really clean audio setup... You never know... Anyway this has been an interesting conversation to say the least and what can I say I have actually learnt a lot. 

Even if he had nice headphones, chances are they would work perfectly fine with the integrated sound. :P  

Alrighty then.