is it even safe to install gta 5 for free?

Abhinavp

this game costs 50 usd where i live. how can this epic game store sell it for free?! how is it even possible. are they trying to steal some of our data or just trying that everybody installs there game store (to compete with steam)... 

Just now, Abhinavp said:

just trying that everybody installs there game store (to compete with steam)... 

This, they give free games every week, it's just exceptionally a particularly popular one this week.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

It's a pretty old game at this point, it's probably more valuable to them as an incentive to use their store than as an actual product... most people who wanted it enough to buy it probably already had it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Abhinavp said:

this game costs 50 usd where i live. how can this epic game store sell it for free?! how is it even possible. are they trying to steal some of our data or just trying that everybody installs there game store (to compete with steam)... 

It's a marketing mechanics. No it doesn't cost them 50$ to give it free to you, it probably costs them zero because they do need to have an agreement with the developer/publisher to do this kind of giveaways. No they are not trying to steal anything to you.

The general idea is this: You're buying candies from another store and I do sell candies too. Since you are not coming to buy them from me because I'm the new store and you always went to the other one, I'm gonna give every new customer a bag of free candies. You tried the candies, so you know they are not poisoned. Next time you want to buy candy, my store will be in your mind's list as acceptable stores where to go for it.

This is what Epic is doing right now. Steam has a big userbase that is pretty loyal to it. If they want to gain the trust (and the initial trust is the most important and hard to get) from their possible customers, they need to gift them something first and hope they will come back buying something else.

TL;DR It's easier to enter once the tip is in already.

4 minutes ago, Abhinavp said:

LOL you're very suspicious! 😂

The biggest problem Epic has is that people don't want to use their launcher. It's not that anything is particularly wrong with it. In fact, it's better than Steam if you want to support developers. It's just that we're all sick of installing other launchers, and Epic is very late to the the game. Steam came first. Then Ubisoft made UPlay, EA made Origin, and Activision made Battle.net.  Nobody wants to install more useless programs just to buy games.

Epic's solution to this is to give away free games, along with times exclusives. That way people can build up a library. If most of your games are already on one launcher, you're more likely to buy new ones there.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Epic games does this to try and compete with steam, it's an old game, over 7 years old I think. It's safe to install, just know that a lot of people will quit within a week, GTA 5 singleplayer is pretty fun but the multiplayer is garbage. It will also be filled with hackers, I know this because I was one. I was sick of all the hackers ruining everything so I downloaded some stuff to get back at them, I quickly realized this would only escalate the problem. Rockstar banned me and I don't regret it at all. The multiplayer is garbage. Nothing but high level players crushing low level players in overpowered vehicles.

5 hours ago, Abhinavp said:

It might be more accurate to say that where you live someone is charging $50 for the game.  I’ve seen it for far far less.  The game plays on a phone.  Does it cost $50 as a console game?  There you go.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It might be more accurate to say that where you live someone is charging $50 for the game.  I’ve seen it for far far less.  The game plays on a phone.  Does it cost $50 as a console game?  There you go.

https://www.amazon.in/Grand-Theft-Auto-V-PC-DVD/dp/B07R7YWY4S/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=gta+5&qid=1589867116&sr=8-6

33 usd 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/271590/Grand_Theft_Auto_V/ 

28 usd

Let me put it this way. The client is same, game is same and so on. Unless you are buying directly through Rockstar someway, you are sharing payment info with 2+ services already. So you either pay or get for free. Either way you use same software to install and play.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Epic is paying for the Game. Rockstar dont gift them anything.

They do this to make you use their shitty Store.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

On 5/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, Abhinavp said:

they are trying to get more people onto their platform to be competitive against the big boys like steam and gog.

trust me once their user base is large enough they'll stop giving out free games either completely or by moving to subscription based giveaway like ps plus.

Please give kudos if you find someone's reply helpful 😃

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

Now that you've seen it, can you unsee it?

<">{   <">{   <">{

Get motion sickness playing FPS =(

" ({) "   " ({) "   " ({) "

"You so ugly you scaring away the fish!"

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max
2 x Corsair low clearance DDR4 8G 3200MHz C16

GeForce GTX 780 Ti (temporarily downgraded)
Silverstone FT03
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500G (boot) + WD SN550 1TB (game lib)

WD Elements 3.5" HDD 1.5T (storage; pulled from an old external drive)
Seasonic SS-660XPII 660W 80Plus Platinum Ver II
DeepCool Gammaxx GT (CPU)
Silverstone AB120R (intake)
2 x Silverstone AP81 (intake)
Silversrone FN121-P (exhaust)

AG AGON AG323QCXE (What a hidden gem)

NiZ Plum Electro-capacitive Keyboard
Logitech G703 Hero Lightspeed

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Linksys WRT1900ACS (rocking OpenWrt)

WD Elements 5T external HDD (network backup drive)

5 hours ago, Praesi said:

Epic is paying for the Game. Rockstar dont gift them anything.

They do this to make you use their shitty Store.

Have to admit it works.  I wanted to play a game that was only available there so their software is on my machine.  The store with the best software and policies is GoG so far as I can tell currently.  Steam is easy and convenient but they dominate the market and were starting to squeeze hard.  I kind of support competitors. Epic and GoG have made me spend a lot less on steam lately.  As it currently stands I will buy a game from GoG before I buy it elsewhere if possible. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Getting the game free will come at a cost. your hard drive space. People have already explain

If your worried about Epic, remember Steam gives away games to all the time, does does GoG, Humble Bundle, the developers of the game, RockStar. Why does epic worry you so much? A company that many games use their intellectual property to make?

P.s. Epis is technically paying for the game, giving it to you. Basicly what your getting is a game, and they get to give youa  advertizementm but for then it's like .30 cents or less a copy at this point. or even a deal that lets rockstar sell something with less of something agents them next time.

P.p.s I like how no one's insulted you yet, no tin foil hat jokes, no demeaning you and your mental incompatibilities, it's like this isn't the internet or something... Good job LTT.