not sure what title. (need help)

Fredrikmikael

hello, me and my class are hosting a lan party and i had this idea for a prize giveaway.

a have a list of all the participants on the bigscreen and every few seconds one name get's removed from the list until there is 1 name left on the monitor, that has won.

does anybody know of anything like this?

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

Fix your text please

X1aUSf3.png

Winner gets $50 or $100 Steam Gift Card(s)

Capture.png

Don't think the problem is from my side mate.

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

Text a problem on mobile too. Just leave default text color, don't mess with it. Posted Image and to answer the question, no idea

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

Text a problem on mobile too. Just leave default text color, don't mess with it. e9apesyv.jpg and to answer the question, no idea

wut, didnt mess with any settings just typed and submitted.

System

Spoiler

Capture.png

Don't think the problem is from my side mate.

Leave the text as default because a different color black or gray fucks with dark theme users.

Leave the text as default because a different color black or gray fucks with dark theme users.

Think it might be something buggy with copy pasting text on LTT

System

Spoiler

Are you hoping for something that already exists or looking for pointers on how something can be made?

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Are you hoping for something that already exists or looking for pointers on how something can be made?

Both, actually

System

Spoiler

hello, me and my class are hosting a lan party and i had this idea for a prize giveaway.

a have a list of all the participants on the bigscreen and every few seconds one name get's removed from the list until there is 1 name left on the monitor, that has won.

does anybody know of anything like this?

could you make an array put everyone's name in it have a randomizer pick a name then make that part in the array empty then output the array everytime you hit enter or do a countdown?

lol with my limited pascal abilities i have no idea how other languages work

hope it helps anyways =D

could you make an array put everyone's name in it have a randomizer pick a name then make that part in the array empty then output the array everytime you hit enter or do a countdown?

lol with my limited pascal abilities i have no idea how other languages work

hope it helps anyways =D

I did a simple version of what you suggested in Python:

participants = ["guy", "person", "otherPerson", "myDog"] #list of entriesfrom random import randrangeprint("The participants are: ")for i in participants:    print(i)print("")for x in range(len(participants)-1):    loser = randrange(0, len(participants), 1)    participants.remove(participants[loser])print("The winner is", participants[0])input() #Keeps window open, just hit Enter to close
@Fredrikmikael There are no fancy graphics, but it generates a random number, deletes the entry at that index in the list of names, and prints the winner once that person is the only one left. Just change the names in the "participants" list and you're good to go.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

I did a simple version of what you suggested in Python:

participants = ["guy", "person", "otherPerson", "myDog"] #list of entriesfrom random import randrangeprint("The participants are: ")for i in participants:    print(i)print("")for x in range(len(participants)-1):    loser = randrange(0, len(participants), 1)    participants.remove(participants[loser])print("The winner is", participants[0])input() #Keeps window open, just hit Enter to close
@Fredrikmikael There are no fancy graphics, but it generates a random number, deletes the entry at that index in the list of names, and prints the winner once that person is the only one left. Just change the names in the "participants" list and you're good to go.

Now all we need is someone to make it into a graphical interface

When is LAN party lol, I might Code this up if I have the time. I have some midterms coming up but I've always taken an interest in making LAN party software.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Now all we need is someone to make it into a graphical interface

I can try to make something with Tkinter, but school just started again so I don't have much time.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

I can try to make something with Tkinter, but school just started again so I don't have much time.

school JUST started? or was that like 1/2 term

btw u don't have to do it we could probably ask someone to do it xD for Fred

When is LAN party lol, I might Code this up if I have the time. I have some midterms coming up but I've always taken an interest in making LAN party software.

yeah even if you could do it for fred and post the code everyone can use it =D

school JUST started? or was that like 1/2 term

btw u don't have to do it we could probably ask someone to do it xD for Fred

I was on February break last week :)

I'll probably try it just to teach myself more about using Tkinter, and if I get something good I'll post it.

@Fredrikmikael 

I made a GUI using Tkinter and Python. I can't attach the file to this post (probably because it is a script file), so if you want it, either PM me or copy+paste the code below into notepad and Save As a ".py" file.

Note: The program supports adding and removing participants from the list, but if you want a different default list than the placeholders I put in, just edit the names.

To everyone interested, here is my code:

#Coded by "CornOnJacob" in Python 3.3from random import randrangeimport tkinterparticipants = ["guy", "person", "otherPerson", "myDog"] #list of entriesclass App:    def __init__(self, master):        frame = tkinter.Frame(master)        frame.rowconfigure(1, pad=3) #pads 2nd row by 3 pixels        frame.rowconfigure(2, weight=2) #gives row #2 2/3 weight for vertical window expansion        frame.rowconfigure(3, weight=1) #gives row #3 1/3 weight for vertical window expansion        frame.columnconfigure(1, weight=1) #gives row #3 100% weight for horizontal window expansion        frame.pack(fill="both", expand=1)        tkinter.Button(frame, text="Add new contestant: ", command=self.add_contestant).grid(row=0)        tkinter.Label(frame, text="The participants are:").grid(row=1, sticky="S")        #Listbox of entries        self.contestant_listbox = tkinter.Listbox(frame, height=len(participants))        self.contestant_listbox.grid(row=2, rowspan=2, sticky="NS")        for entry in participants:            self.contestant_listbox.insert("end", entry)        #Entry field for new contestant        self.new_contestant = tkinter.Entry(frame)        self.new_contestant.grid(row=0,column=1, sticky="EW")        #Button to delete a contestant        button = tkinter.Button(frame, text="Remove a contestant", command=self.delete_contestant)        button.grid(row=4, sticky="S")        #Button to choose a winner & code to display winner (cf. def win())        button = tkinter.Button(frame, text="THE WIN BUTTON", command=self.win)        button.grid(row=2, column=1, sticky="N")                self.winner = tkinter.StringVar()        tkinter.Label(frame, textvariable=self.winner).grid(row=2,column=1,sticky="S")    def add_contestant(self): #Adds new entry to list and updates listbox to reflect that        x = self.new_contestant.get()        participants.append(x)        self.contestant_listbox.delete(0,"end")        for entry in participants:            self.contestant_listbox.insert("end", entry)        self.contestant_listbox.configure(height=len(participants))    def delete_contestant(self): #Deletes the listbox selection from list and updates listbox        items = self.contestant_listbox.curselection() #Returns tuple; must be converted to int        for i in items:            int_item = int(i)            del participants[int_item]        self.contestant_listbox.delete(0,"end")        for entry in participants:            self.contestant_listbox.insert("end", entry)    def win(self): #Randomly picks a winner        win_var = randrange(0, len(participants), 1)        self.winner.set(participants[win_var])window = tkinter.Tk()window.wm_title('Contest Winner')app = App(window)tkinter.mainloop() 

This was a really fun project and I learned a lot about using Tkinter (and let me tell you, the documentation is subpar). Thanks and enjoy :)

yeah even if you could do it for fred and post the code everyone can use it =D

Here is what I have going on so far, however i did not make a GUI, rather a text based GUI.

The code is still very INCOMPLETE. Also it is kinda hard coded which I dont like but I'll investigate other methods at a later date.

8R6ypQe.png

#include <string.h>#include <stdio.h>#include <vector>#include <iostream>using namespace std;class Players_R1{    public:        string name = "";        string game = "";        int age = 0;        int wins = 0;        int loses = 0;        bool round;        void player_information();        void player_advancement();};class Players_R2{    public:        string name = "";        string game = "";        int age = 0;        int wins = 0;        int loses = 0;        bool round;        void player_advancement();};void Players_R1::player_information(){    cout << "Player Information" << endl;    cout << "Enter Player name: ";    cin >> name;    cout << "Enter Player game: ";    cin >> game;    cout << "Enter Player age: ";    cin >> age;    round = true;}int main(){    int x = 5;    int option_1 = 0;    string mainGame = "";    cout << "Tournament Settings...\n";    cout << "What is name of the tournaments game?\nEnter: ";    cin >> mainGame;    Players_R1 player_1[x];    Players_R2 player_2[ (x + 1)/2 ];    for( int i = 1; i <= 4; ++i )    {        cout << i;        player_1[i].player_information();    }    while(true)    {        printf( "\n\n---------------- Welcome to the %s Tournament ---------------\n", mainGame.c_str() );        printf( " ______________________________________________________________\n");        printf( "|  ----- Round 1 ------ || ------ Round 2 ------- ||          |\n");        printf( "---------------------------------------------------------------\n");        printf( "| %-10s       [B1] ||                        ||          |\n", player_1[1].name.c_str() );        printf( "| %-10s            ||------------------------||          |\n", player_1[2].name.c_str() );        printf( "------------------------|| %-10s        [B1] ||-----------\n", player_2[1].name.c_str() );        printf( "------------------------|| %-10s             ||-----------\n", player_2[2].name.c_str() );        printf( "| %-10s       [B2] ||------------------------||          |\n", player_1[3].name.c_str() );        printf( "| %-10s            ||                        ||          |\n", player_1[4].name.c_str() );        printf( "---------------------------------------------------------------\n");        printf( "---------------------------------------------------------------\n");        printf( "| OPTIONS: 1 to Enter Winner                                  |\n");        printf( "---------------------------------------------------------------\n");        printf( "Enter: " );        cin >> option_1;        switch( option_1 )        {            case 1:                {                    cout << "What Round?\nEnter: ";                    int temp_round;                    cin >> temp_round;                    switch( temp_round )                    {                        case 1:                        {                            cout << "What Bracket?\nEnter: ";                            int temp_bracket;                            cin >> temp_bracket;                            switch( temp_bracket )                            {                                case 1:                                    {                                        string winner = "";                                        cout << "Select Winner\n";                                        cout << player_1[1].name << " or " << player_1[2].name << endl;                                        cin >> winner;                                        if( winner == player_1[1].name )                                        {                                            player_2[1].name = player_1[1].name;                                            cout <<  "winner! " << player_2[1].name << endl;                                        }                                        else if( winner == player_1[2].name )                                        {                                            player_2[1].name = player_1[2].name;                                            cout << "winner! " << player_2[1].name << endl;                                        }                                        break;                                    }// end case 1                            }// end switch brackets                            break;                        }// end case 1                    }// end switch rounds                }// end case 1        }// end switch "options"       for(int i = 0; i <= 50; ++i )       {           cout << "\n";       }    } //end while}// end main

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |