Trying To Connect USB-A 3.1 Drive to USB-C 3.1 Port, Is It Possible?

Muhlis

Hi,

I have a computer that has a USB 3.0 type A and a USB 3.1 (Gen 1) type C port. Also, I have a USB 3.1 compatible type A flash drive.

USB 3.0 is fast enough but just wondering, what if I can connect it to the type C port? Will it get the USB 3.1 speed?

I have a USB-C to the USB-A converter. If I buy a female-to-female USB adapter, and connect with the flash drive together, will it be faster than connecting it directly to the USB 3.0 port? Will the female-to-female USB adapter be the bottleneck, is it matter if it's a USB 2.0 adapter?

Somewhat this looks like this:
The computer's USB-C port > USB-C to USB-A converter > USB-A female/female adapter > the actual drive

I know this is a weird question but just wondering. 

Thanks.

image.thumb.png.04342b570e58fa3e4f4230cb3ec5a5de.png

USB 3.0 has been renamed a couple times.

USB 3.0 = USB 3.1 Gen 1 = USB 3.2 Gen 1 = 5Gb/s

Whatever you use, you will run at the slowest in the link.

2 minutes ago, Muhlis Gursoy said:

The computer's USB-C port > USB-C to USB-A converter > USB-A female/female adapter > the actual drive

Just look at the USB standards these all use (including what the adapter's/cable's version is) and just take the slowest of them all. That is the max speed.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you get an adapter that is 3.1 to 3.1 then it will work fine. But most flash drives aren't even fast enough to utilize the extra bandwidth going from 3.0 to 3.1

USB A and C are form factors, won't affect speed.  If both are 3.1 speed will be same.  A lower speed cable or adapter may work or may slow connection.  Any thing with slower speed chip will just run at slowest common spec.