New to custom watercooling, check to make sure i have everything?

so i'm interested in watercooling, plan on buying some crap to try putting together my first loop, but I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, there's so goddamn much stuff, but, i think i've got everything and i'm pretty sure it's all compatible with my shit, but I could be wrong, so please, those of you who'd be willing to impart thy knowledge, assist this one.

Muh 'puter

Cpu: Ryzen 3900X, oc'd to 4.3 Ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Gaming X

RAM: some 32gig 3200 mhz sticks, no idea what brand, not gonna bother to look

GPU: Gigabyte 2080TI windforce OC 11G, apparently it uses a close to reference layout of the bits under the cooler

PSU: Fractal design Ion+ 860 Watt 80+ platinum

shit I might buy

DAZmode watercooling kit

Heatkiller IV GPU block

plus a tubing cutter, and a PSU jumper, some more fittings and one of those EK leak tester dohickeys.

So, am I getting adequate stuff? does any of it simply just suck? am I simply just making the entirely wrong choice here?

Make sure you have more than enough tubing, 2 fittings for each tubing, pump, radiator, CPU block, GPU block and fans

9 hours ago, GiftedNovaHD said:

Make sure you have more than enough tubing, 2 fittings for each tubing, pump, radiator, CPU block, GPU block and fans

yep, thought of that, the kit comes with 6FT of tubing, so that really aught to be more n' enough for my purposes, and i've gotten more fittings for the GPU waterblock

I would look at getting a ball valve for ease of draining the loop.

Things you'll probably need other then the ball valve itself to complete it are a couple of male to male extenders, a T splitter and a plug for the end of the ball valve.

Don't forget to get some kind of bottle with which to fill your loop, as well as a corrosion inhibitor, and I always recommend some kind of kill coil. Usually made out of silver, designed to prevent anything from growing in your loop.

Also, a variety of screws can be important depending on the fans you end up going with and the mounting location. Just look at the size of the screws for the radiator (Probably M4 screws) and get a decent pack of varying lengths. Be careful, as in my experience radiators are easy as hell to strip out.

If you're going to use rotary fittings, get replacement fittings now, because after about a year, when you drain your loop and refill it, you'll probably find that some of them are suddenly leaking. I have had this issue multiple times and I am slowly but surely eliminating rotary fittings from my build. They're too damned expensive to be that damned short lived.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

21 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Don't forget to get some kind of bottle with which to fill your loop, as well as a corrosion inhibitor, and I always recommend some kind of kill coil. Usually made out of silver, designed to prevent anything from growing in your loop.

Also, a variety of screws can be important depending on the fans you end up going with and the mounting location. Just look at the size of the screws for the radiator (Probably M4 screws) and get a decent pack of varying lengths. Be careful, as in my experience radiators are easy as hell to strip out.

If you're going to use rotary fittings, get replacement fittings now, because after about a year, when you drain your loop and refill it, you'll probably find that some of them are suddenly leaking. I have had this issue multiple times and I am slowly but surely eliminating rotary fittings from my build. They're too damned expensive to be that damned short lived.

from what i've been reading the kill coils don't really seem to do much, simply keeping bacteria from surviving long, the kit comes with a biocide and corrosion inhibitor that should murder any algea that'd be fixin' to muck up m'loop.

didn't think about screws, but I think my case actually came with some big long'uns, and the kits says it comes with mounting screws, so I think i'm good?

I don't think i'm using rotary fittings, just the Darkside compression fittings that come with the kit, plus a few extras, though, couldn't you just use them like regular barbs, as long as you get yourself some clamps and forgo the outer-ringy-screwy-thingy?

On 5/15/2020 at 11:26 PM, Neggy-Z said:

I would look at getting a ball valve for ease of draining the loop.

Things you'll probably need other then the ball valve itself to complete it are a couple of male to male extenders, a T splitter and a plug for the end of the ball valve.

ball valve sounds like a good idea, i'll add 'er to the list

9 hours ago, nomnomnommer said:

from what i've been reading the kill coils don't really seem to do much, simply keeping bacteria from surviving long, the kit comes with a biocide and corrosion inhibitor that should murder any algea that'd be fixin' to muck up m'loop.

didn't think about screws, but I think my case actually came with some big long'uns, and the kits says it comes with mounting screws, so I think i'm good?

I don't think i'm using rotary fittings, just the Darkside compression fittings that come with the kit, plus a few extras, though, couldn't you just use them like regular barbs, as long as you get yourself some clamps and forgo the outer-ringy-screwy-thingy?

ball valve sounds like a good idea, i'll add 'er to the list

In my experience a kill coil or silver plug works well, as long as it is in-line with the flow and not just loose in the reservoir. All I use in my loop has been a corrosion inhibitor, and a silver plug in one of the spare ports on my radiator.

I'd still think about getting some spare screws. I've had issues in the past with screws included in kits. Like I said, be careful mounting the radiator as they seem to have the weakest threads possible. One thing I can also tell you is that having the return line to the reservoir at a low point on the reservoir is actually a good idea, because it allows you to get all the air out of the loop eventually. I used to have the return line on mine at the top of the reservoir, and it cause a constant bubble in the top of the loop that was rather annoying.

Make sure you at least share some photos of your loop when it's done. Good luck.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

• 2 weeks later...

She lives! Everything seems to be in order, no leaks after about an Hour and a half, thanks for all your help, everybody

20200526_163855.jpg